PDA

View Full Version : Thermos Intak SS water/hydration bottles

american_mama
10-31-2009, 01:32 AM
These stainless steel bottles have gotten rave reviews here and online, see http://www.thermos.com/Product_detail.aspx?CatCode=SPOR&SubcategoryID=20&ViewAll=true&ProductID=282.

I played with the open spout one and the straw one at Target today, and didn't like that the lid seemed like it would be in the way on both. It seemed like it would hit your face while tipping the spout one upwards to drink and be too close to your face when sipping from the straw (the straw seems a little short to me since it has to fit under the lid when smooshed flat and closed). Is this a valid concern?

Does the spout one slosh and spill while you're drinking from it? Does it get in your way if you drink from it while driving? Sounds crazy, but I am used to much smaller bottles, usually clear water bottles, and my new small eyeglasses really reduce my downward vision when tilting my head up. I honestly wonder if drinking from this Thermos with the spout would be a problme while driving, and I wonder if the straw one with the parts will be a pain to clean and keep track of.

Also, do the bottles feel cold to the touch when they have ice water in them? I wondered what the advantage of the black rubber grip is compared to the colored/patterns that don't ahve the rubber grip.

Lastly, is the kid Funtainer cup the same thing except smaller?

essnce629
10-31-2009, 07:32 AM
I have the bottle that you posted in the link and LOVE it! It's the best water bottle I've ever had and I've bought it twice (I lost my first one at a birthday party).

The lid is spring loaded so when you press the button it pops open and stays open till you close it. It doesn't fall down and I've never hit my nose or sunglasses on it. I love the larger opening to drink from. It's not huge, about the size of a nickel, so no water sloshes out. It's actually a lot easier to drink from than a sports lid. I've never had a problem drinking out of it while driving. If anything, it's easier than most bottles since you can open and close it with one hand. It's double insulated so cold drinks stay cold all day (12+ hours with ice) and the bottle doesn't sweat. It's cool to the touch, but not freezing like other bottles that are single walled (Sigg, Kleen Kanteen, etc). It get's excellent 5 star reviews on Amazon and I haven't found a single thing that I dislike about it. I also love that it has a little latch that you can lock to keep the lid from opening if you throw the bottle in your bag or something.

The straw cup version is exactly the same as the kids Funtainer, just larger. My son uses the funtainer and it's definately harder to clean since it has the straw and more parts. I put both bottles in the dishwasher with no problems.

Melaine
10-31-2009, 07:34 AM
I saw these this week half off at Walgreens. I was really tempted but couldn't justify since we are covered on water bottles. Should've probably bought for Christmas gifts.

pakin
10-31-2009, 10:46 AM
I also have the same Thermos bottle with a spout. I love it!! It's very convenient to be able to open and close the lid with one hand. Great for both driving and excercising. The spout is just the right size for me. I never had any problem with spilling.

Right now I have two main water bottles: the Thermos and the Contigo bottle like this: http://www.gocontigo.com/catalog-product-detail;catalogproducts,fc6c98b1f701e0ab91ef5919a3e 9af2a.html

I really prefer the Thermos. Yesterday I just squirted myself in the eyes (ouch) with the Contigo when trying to drink while driving!

We have several Funtainers for the kids. We handwash them.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

vludmilla
10-31-2009, 11:00 AM
I have the straw one for adults. I bought it at Target. I love it. I have no problems with it.

kristenk
10-31-2009, 11:09 AM
I have the spout bottle that you linked and LOVE it! The lid flips all the way open, so it really is down and out of my way. IMO, the spout is the perfect size for drinking. No sloshing, no trying to suck water out of the bottle b/c it's not coming fast enough.

I'm trying to remember, but I don't think that the bottle feels cold when it has ice water in it. I *always* put ice in it, so I think I would have noticed. No sweating, definitely. I like the black rubber grip b/c it's my gym bottle and it's easy to hold with sweaty hands.

I don't think that they had a "grown-up" size straw version when I got my spouted bottle. If they did, I probably would have purchased that b/c all of the other bottles/cups that I liked had straws. NOW, though, after using the spouted bottle for months, I wouldn't switch. The spout bottle is so easy to clean and the water flow rate is just excellent for me.

american_mama
10-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Are these still half off at Walgreens? That's an excellent savings on an item that is pretty expensive for what it is. Anyone know if that's a national sale at Walgreen's or was it just local? Hmm, I think I'm going to call my store.

Melaine
10-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Are these still half off at Walgreens? That's an excellent savings on an item that is pretty expensive for what it is. Anyone know if that's a national sale at Walgreen's or was it just local? Hmm, I think I'm going to call my store.

I don't know. They were on clearance with some other things.

vludmilla
10-31-2009, 02:24 PM
In response to someone's question about whether this bottle sweats...it does not. It' is double walled and I love that featuree. It is never too cold or hot and no condensation.