PDA

View Full Version : weekend job- where to look?

LarsMal
10-31-2009, 03:59 PM
I think I am going to get a weekend job. The extra money will be nice, but it's for my sanity, too. I just need to get out of here, let DH take charge for a while, and be among people!!

Of course *I* would like to go to AT Loft, but DH doesn't think that would be a good idea!! He's right, I'd spend more than I made!

I would like to look somewhere I can get a discount on stuff I need/use- like Target or BRU, but I don't know if that's really want I want.

Barnes and Noble would be at the top of my list, too, but discounts for more practical stuff (diapers, clothing) would be better. Plus, B&N isn't very close to us.

Where would you go if you were looking for some weekend hours?

SnuggleBuggles
10-31-2009, 04:13 PM
I would pay mind to the hours they are open. I don't know about you but I wouldn't really want to work somewhere like Target that is open late. I was a big fan of mall hours with the 12-6 Sundays. :) I worked that all the way through college. Hmmm... I'm not sure where I'd pick. With any store now the holiday hours will be long- late and early. I too have been thinking about doing this but I know I don't want to work Christmas Eve ever again- I want to chill with the family. Though, I did actually enjoy the work when I was there in my retail years. Love the bustle and checking out all the last minute shoppers!

Beth

almostamom
10-31-2009, 04:42 PM
I started working at the Children's Place about a month ago. So far I've just been stocking and haven't been working when they are open - one or two weeknights from 8 - midnight or a weekend morning from 7 - 10 a.m. Most of the people I work with are other moms with little ones like us. I was just asked if I wanted to be trained on the register so I could work when the store was open. We'll see. Right now I love that I get to go to work in sweats and my hair in a pony tail! The discount is nice, although I don't buy a whole lot there (that's probably a good thing).

Linda

Mommy Of A Little Angel
10-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Years ago I worked at Baby Gap. Lots of moms worked there and the discount was nice - also good for Gap, Old Navy, and Banana Republic. Mall hours aren't always what they seem. I worked a lot of overnights and 6am shifts because of getting new stock and setting the store. I actually liked doing those because you got to come in wearing whatever you wanted and basically got to be creative with how things looked, the window displays, etc.

I know many places will require at least one night per week. Shifts usually start at 6 or 8 am when the mall opens at 10am. I found it to be quite enjoyable and the pay wasn't terrible either.

elephantmeg
10-31-2009, 09:49 PM
I always think I'd like to work at eddie bauer-but I wouldn't take home much money though! :) Costco has good pay/benefit type stuff though and good weekend hours. I would work there.

ourbabygirl
10-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I worked at Macy's (Marshall Fields at the time) in college, and it was a good gig. I only worked a couple nights a week, from about 5-9 or so, and some weekend hours. I worked in 'intimate apparel' (they just kind of stuck people wherever they needed someone), and it was good because I did use my discount a lot, but not necessarily a ton in that dept. However, if I were you I might stay away from retail, or at least clothing places, because of having to clean up the messes the customers leave behind (refolding, rehanging, cleaning out dressing rooms, etc.). Some stores would be worse than others (AT Loft much better than Old Navy, for example). I would choose Barnes and Noble for the type of people who are likely to shop there and work there; nice atmosphere, they have a café, you could get good book recommendations, discounts to use on gifts for friends & family, etc. Otherwise a nice clothing store or maybe an office or salon would be fun :).

Good luck with the job hunt!

LarsMal
10-31-2009, 10:24 PM
I forgot that most places would be hiring for holidays now. Some *only* hiring holiday help. I got this working bug a couple years ago right about this time of year and applied at Barnes and Noble. Once they found out I couldn't work the days around T-day or Christmas they were not so interested! Maybe I'll have to wait until after Christmas.

I'm sure I'll be keeping myself busy with house stuff until then anyway.

DH thinks I should go waitress somewhere. I don't know- folding clothes at a retail store and serving/cleaning up after people? Not any different than what I do now!! ;)

roobee
10-31-2009, 11:10 PM
I like to work at places that have some sort of commission, it's never much and you can't count on it, but it's a nice bump to an otherwise pretty low hourly wage.

I've done apartment leasing every other weekend - which was easy and paid well enough for p/t ($12 an hour + $35 commission for every apartment I rented).

Otherwise I worked at a mall jewelry store just ringing stuff up ($10 hour + small commission + 50% discount).

Right now I work at a call center 2 nights a week and every other weekend - this is the best p/t job I've had - I make over $15 an hour plus get a bonus and benefits (vacation/health/dental/401k/retail store discount).

I think a being a waitress at a pizza place would be super easy.

Personally, I like late hours for a p/t job - then I can get in a longer shift and can wait for DH to get home before I go to work.

tylersmama
11-01-2009, 01:17 AM
My best friend hired on for the holidays at Williams-Sonoma a couple of years ago and loved it. Well, she hated the stupid people she had to deal with, but you get that in any customer-related job! The discount was fantastic, especially for buying christmas gifts. If you stay on past the holidays, you also get the discount at Pottery Barn and PBK.

elektra
11-01-2009, 02:11 AM
I have two friends that moonlight like this. One friend is single, and just wants to pay down some debt and so she works at ATL after her regular bank job. She has worked retail before and so she knows about the need to have a certain tolerance for dealing with customers and having to do all the clothes folding and all that. It totally works for her.
My other friend (my cousin actually) does a bit of waitressing at her friend's restaurant. She is a SAHM and loved the nighttime waitressing. She said it was the next best thing to going out at night except she was getting paid for it! I think it was a popular place and she had friends that worked there so I got the feeling that they would have drinks sometimes and it was an overall fun job. She loved the adult interaction. She worked her way through college by waitressing at Chili's though, so the waitress thing was old hat for her.

JTsMom
11-01-2009, 08:23 AM
It would be really tough to find a waitressing job where they would agree to letting you work only weekends. Those are the prime shifts, so you have to "earn" them by working the slow nights too. On the flip side, you could possibly find a hostessing job, b/c then weekends are the less desirable shifts.

LarsMal
11-01-2009, 09:05 AM
It would be really tough to find a waitressing job where they would agree to letting you work only weekends. Those are the prime shifts, so you have to "earn" them by working the slow nights too. On the flip side, you could possibly find a hostessing job, b/c then weekends are the less desirable shifts.

I thought of hostessing, too. I did that back in college and liked it.

I am trying to get DH to get on the flex program at work so he would have every other Friday off (not that that would even guarantee him having the day off!). That would give me one more day or evening ever couple weeks.

I think I could also swing "making" him come home a little early one night a week so I could hire a babysitter for an hour until he gets home and then work a 5-close. Then maybe I wouldn't have to do the whole weekend.

MamaMolly
11-01-2009, 09:06 AM
I loved teaching Music Together on the weekends. I was attending classes with DD and the teacher asked if I would like to teach. We agreed that I'd pay for the training but that DD could attend classes as an 'extra' for no fee during my training semester. Since I'd already be getting the teaching materials I didn't need to buy the books or CDs. In less than 2 semesters DDs classes paid for themselves. I really loved teaching the program and would still be doing it if we hadn't moved. The extra money didn't hurt, either! :)

So on top of considering places you like to shop, I'd also suggest you look at the activities your kids do and see if there is a work opportunity in it for you.

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't know- folding clothes at a retail store and serving/cleaning up after people? Not any different than what I do now!! ;)

But, they'd be paying you. :) Plus, I find cleaning up someone else's mess is usually easier than cleaning up my own. ;)

Beth

TwinFoxes
11-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Someone mentioned Williams-Sonoma. That would get my vote. A friend worked at the one in the San Francisco Center right after college, and during Christmas lots of well off moms would work there just for the discount. They'd happily leave after the season. Apparently the discount is awesome, and at least back then the company was flexible re: hours. Plus no folding! And the stores don't seem to get as crazy as a clothing store does during Christmas.

Joolsplus2
11-01-2009, 11:08 AM
I love my BRU job. No employee discount on diapers, though :p.
What's good about it is it's close to home (about 7 miles), it's products I like working with (car seats and strollers, whoop!), and the hours are super flexible (part timers can just work a couple of 4 hour shifts a week if they want, or up to 30 hours, which I was doing more when DH was working from home). The latest we work is about 10pm (store closes at 930, but there's always trash to take out and money to count before we leave), which is good because I can still wake up reasonably sanely with the kids the next morning at 630 :)

And it's been *great* for DH and the kids, they seem to always get a lot done when I'm gone :ROTFLMAO: (seriously! they paint rooms, cook fancy meals...)

LarsMal
11-01-2009, 12:23 PM
I love my BRU job. No employee discount on diapers, though :p.
What's good about it is it's close to home (about 7 miles), it's products I like working with (car seats and strollers, whoop!), and the hours are super flexible (part timers can just work a couple of 4 hour shifts a week if they want, or up to 30 hours, which I was doing more when DH was working from home). The latest we work is about 10pm (store closes at 930, but there's always trash to take out and money to count before we leave), which is good because I can still wake up reasonably sanely with the kids the next morning at 630 :)

And it's been *great* for DH and the kids, they seem to always get a lot done when I'm gone :ROTFLMAO: (seriously! they paint rooms, cook fancy meals...)

How long have you worked there? I'm wondering if you are at the one I used to go to all.the.time when we lived in Richmond!!!