PDA

View Full Version : How was your Halloween "traffic"?

bubbaray
10-31-2009, 10:24 PM
VERY slooooow here. Creepy kinda. The media was warning that turnout would be less than normal due to the H1N1 fears, but we didn't believe them.

Of course, the dead body sticking out from underneath our garage does scare off some kids....

EllasMum
10-31-2009, 10:34 PM
We had less than 20 total. Sadly, that's typical for our area (townhouse complex). My brother, who lives 1.5 blocks away, had over 100 kids. Go figure!

Happy Halloween!

o_mom
10-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Not too bad, but we didn't have the usual later crowd of middle/high school kids. I think being a Saturday, many of them had full-on parties this year rather than ToTing. I still have a bag of peanut M&Ms and Take5's left. Darn. ;)

bubbaray
10-31-2009, 10:38 PM
We usually buy for 300+ and turn our lights out early.

DH got for about 250 (after I got my grubby paws on it, LOL). I'm thinking we'll have a lot of leftovers. Of course, none of the PB cups. Bummer. I did eat pretty much a box of those this week while I was working at home.

niccig
10-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Slow here too. I think we're going to have left over candy for the first time ever. Maybe because it's a Saturday people are at parties.

kransden
10-31-2009, 10:52 PM
Super slow here too. Lots of ToT parties. We went to a wedding so we got back too late to go to the church parties.

sunshine873
10-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Of course, the dead body sticking out from underneath our garage does scare off some kids....

LOL!

More traffic than last year for us! But that's been the case every year (more and more houses being built.) We have a sprinkling of candy left (it'll be gone by tomorrow night I'm sure.) Great weather here (warm and no rain) so that contributed too.

bluestarfish18
10-31-2009, 11:28 PM
We live on a military base, where just about every house has 2+ kids. It was pretty crazy last year (200+), but for some reason DH neglected to buy enough candy this year, and we ran out in 60 minutes. I ended up raiding my pantry 4 times, giving out pop-tarts, kerns nectar, bananas, apples, raisins, juice boxes, bottles of water, crackers and yogurt. Pathetic. I'll keep you posted on how many times we get TPed.

randomkid
10-31-2009, 11:29 PM
We don't have any treats left here, but that's because I bought about half what I usually buy. We missed a lot of trick or treaters when we were out with DD, but it was still unusually slow. I'd say just under 100 kids after we got home. Last year, we went out first and still easily had 150 kids with more showing up after we ran out of treats. In past years, they came so fast we couldn't sit down, and they would come in big groups. This year, we played with DD between smallish groups. Glad I didn't buy my usual amount. I did carry a pumpkin full of fruit gummies to give out to the little ones when we were out.

I think in our neighborhood, the older kids were going to parties. Usually, they come by much later and I saw them all out when we were out with DD. Also, we usually hear them outside messing around in their front yards until around 11:00. This year, by 9:00 it was quiet.

LoveTheStork
10-31-2009, 11:31 PM
We didn't get one!

lilycat88
10-31-2009, 11:40 PM
Pretty slow here but we live in sort of a hidden neighborhood of one street that dead ends and 3 cul-de-sacs shooting off the main street. For the last couple of years it seemed like all of the kids (8 total) just went in our neighborhood and we all ended up sort of out in the street chatting. So, we decided to block off one of the cul-de-sacs this year and have a neighborhood party. We had a WONDERFUL time and some of the people without kids went back to their houses so the kids could have the "knock on the door and yell trick or treat" experience. I'd bet we only had less than a dozen non-neighborhood kids come through and we had candy ready to distribute.

Jamelin

wencit
11-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Zero, but that's because we turned off our lights since we have all been sick with something for the past week and didn't want to infect the trick-or-treaters.

Interestingly, I peeked out our front door at the height of trick-or-treating time, and was very surprised to notice that every single house on our block had their lights turned OFF. It looked like midnight on a random weeknight. Very strange.

MommyAllison
11-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Zero here. It's our first year here, so not sure if this is normal for our area...

elektra
11-01-2009, 12:41 AM
We got one group. We live on a busy street with no sidewalks, so it's not really safe to walk in the street. But we went back one street to do our trick-or-treating and there were a bunch of kids.

Laurel
11-01-2009, 01:10 AM
Wayyyy more than normal. I had to raid the pantry and give out some fruit rolls I had bought at Costco!

I guess the word is out that my neighborhood is a good place for ToT.

boolady
11-01-2009, 08:20 AM
We got about 75 kids...normally get closer to 100, but it was intermittently raining, and I think a lot of peopel were at World Series parties...we're smack in the middle of Phillies AND Yankees territory. Go Phils!

carolinamama
11-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Heavy at our house. We went through 2 HUGE bowls of candy and I turned our lights out alittle early when we ran out. Our neighborhood is mobbed with young kids though. The media hype didn't seem to slow anyone down and the streets were full of kids and families. DS1 t-or-t'd for 2.5 hours and would have kept going. I called an end when his pumpkin got too heavy for him to carry!

ilfaith
11-01-2009, 08:38 AM
I took the boys out so I'm not sure of how many kids came to our door...but we went through about four of the six small bags of candy we had.

I do think I saw more kids than usual out and about. Honestly it's like they all came out of the woodwork. I had no idea there were so many kids in the neighborhood. Particularly kids around the ages of my boys. I swear I never see anyone outside...nobody ever goes to our community playground and we have our own pool, so we seldom use the one at the clubhouse. I suppose everyone is so involved in various activities and unlike a lot of nearby communities with lots of young families we don't have many organized events for kids.

In my neighborhood a lot of people get around to trick-or-treat in golf carts.

JTsMom
11-01-2009, 08:45 AM
It was sloooow here. This was our first (and last) year in this neighborhood, so I don't know how typical that is, but I certainly expected a lot more. I could not get over how many people had their lights off either! It had to be 50%. I've never seen anything like it, and this is a neighborhood with piles of kids. Oddly enough, the ones who had some of the nicest treats were the seniors without kids- go figure. Maybe the kids went elsewhere and the parents didn't want to leave a bowl out- I don't know.

It was also cold and drizzly, so that limited our time out. I was telling kids to grab the biggest handful of candy they could, so they were pretty happy with our house. LOL

My mom (lives in FL) said turnout and decorations were really low near her too. Sad.

KathyN115
11-01-2009, 08:53 AM
We had a ton of kids and ran out early. We gave out about 60 light-up bracelets, 100 little cans of playdough, and then I had to get out the tootsie pops I keep in the cabinet. After the rest of them went (about 50) we were done!!! We had a lot of older kids too, more than usual. At least they all dressed up! The weather was warm and it didn't rain until most of the kids were done.

BillK
11-01-2009, 09:33 AM
I was out with the boys - but we came home around 7pm 'cos they were both getting tired (our trick or treat is 6pm to 8pm) - my wife had run out at that time. We had (2) 92 count bags from Costco. I'd estimate about 130-150 kids total since some double dipped. :)

jse107
11-01-2009, 09:36 AM
We didn't have many--maybe 20. DH waaay overbought candy, so we've got toooooo much left!

We hardly saw anyone else out last night. DH and I kept commenting that it seemed really strange. It was sprinkling, but not enough to really put a damper on things, IMO. Selection of candy was not nearly as great last night either!

Oh well, less to be tempted to raid!

gobadgers
11-01-2009, 09:44 AM
We got about half as many as I expected - less than 50 total. I have lots of leftover candy, and I'm not sure if I should be happy about that or not...

It was really cold here so that migt have kept some of the younger ones away.

Funny thing, we are in a new house and could not figure out how to turn the outdoor lights on before it got dark... they are on a sensor and we could not figure out how to override them :-) Luckily the neighbors knew we were home anyway.

nupe
11-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Very busy! Mostly younger kids. Ran out of 5 large Target bags of candy! Had to turn the lights out before 8pm.

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Pretty normal, maybe a bit less than a peak year. I think we had 40-50.

Beth

noodle
11-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Disappointing. Maybe ten. It's our first year in this neighborhood and way less than half of the houses had porch lights on.
I'm sending the leftovers to work with DH. Better his coworkers' butts than mine.

Piglet
11-01-2009, 11:41 AM
I pretty much stopped buying candy after the last few years. None of our neighbours have their porch light on and the other side of the street is pretty decked out so all the kids hit that side and not ours. Not that I am complaining, now that I am prepared for it. The first few years I bought the huge bags of candy and had to bring it all to work to help me get through the leftovers.

mommyp
11-01-2009, 04:53 PM
None here. We were so disappointed. It's our first year here, but I know there are kids, I just don't know where they went ToT!

Gena
11-01-2009, 06:13 PM
We had 106 (according to the neighbor's count. I fogot to tally them up this year). That's slightly more than last year, so I think it was a really good turn out for our neighborhood.

misshollygolightly
11-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Good turnout here, but not the highest in the three years we've lived in this house. I think we had about 150-plus TorTers (they tend to come in big groups and lots of the older siblings and/or parents get candy as well, so it's pretty hard to keep count). We blew through the 4 bags of mini playdoh, 2 bags of sticker boxes, and 1 bag of Halloween rings I'd bought, and A LOT of candy (though we still have about 2 bags of the "good stuff" left ;) ). TorT in our city is limited to between 5:00 and 7:00 pm, and it got *really* cold after the sun went down, so that kept our numbers lower, I think. I also noticed that our three immediate neighbors were not handing out candy, so that may have deterred some people from our part of the street as well.

justlearning
11-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Wayyyy more than normal. I had to raid the pantry and give out some fruit rolls I had bought at Costco!

I guess the word is out that my neighborhood is a good place for ToT.

The word's out about our neighborhood too. Last year we realized that there were WAY more kids trick-or-treating to our houses than actually live in our neighborhood. Then last night we were leaving to go to a party and saw lots of minivans pulling in to our neighborhood, parking on the side, and getting out with their kids. Many in our neighborhood go all-out with their decorating and they're also very generous with the treats, so I can't blame the parents for coming over here. :)

We got back from the party around 9:00pm and there were still lots of teenager trick-or-treaters out--they finally stopped ringing our doorbell at 9:40pm. (We kept the light on.) So, it seemed to be a busy night.

mecawa
11-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Our Halloween traffic was normal.....we didn't get any trick or treaters, which is the usual. We take the girls over to SIL/BIL neighboorhood, where they're are a ton of children.