PDA

View Full Version : Babymel Amanda -- likes, dislikes?

Ladybug47
10-31-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm researching the Babymel Amanda as a possible second diaper bag, and I'm interested in hearing peoples' opinions of it -- likes, dislikes, deals. (I have a backpack, but I'd like a bag that also looks more like a stylish purse and less like a diaper bag.)

I've read some comments saying that the fabric smells kind-of strong, like a plastic shower curtain smell. Is that really true, or are this season's bags improved from previous seasons'?

I'm specifically looking at the black quilted Amanda at Buy Buy Baby (so that I can use a 20% off coupon on it):
http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=119478&

Does anyone have experience with this bag style or comments on how the quilted fabric differs from the "regular" fabric?

'Looking forward to hearing any feedback you might have. Thanks in advance!

aajamu
11-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I have owned several, from past seasons. I owned one in Black Twist and the Turquoise Leaf one. Both are gorgeous bags, but both smelled REALLY strong. Enough to make my eyes water. Returned one, sold the other.

I don't know if the new ones smell any less. The newer ones all have stroller straps (and obnoxious red "Stroller Strap" tags on the strap, thus making sure everyone knows it is a diaper bag). Hopefully someone else here might have some input on the newer bags. I'd totally be up for purchasing one again if it didn't have that godawful vinyl smell and cheap print process (print chips on older bags).

happymom
11-03-2009, 10:53 PM
I really dont mean to sound snarky here, just trying to understand- what is wrong withpeople knowing that you are carrying a diaper bag? I totally understand wanting the bag to look pretty or trendy- I also wouldnt want to carry around an ugly, bulky bag. But whats the deal with trying to hide the fact that its a diaper bag? If you have it with you, you obviously have DC with you too. So everyone will understand why you have diaper bag....

Ladybug47
11-03-2009, 11:46 PM
I guess it's just a style thing. If I'm wearing a dressier outfit, I'd like to have the option to sometimes carry a diaper bag that's not a boxy backpack or sporty messenger bag. Especially if the bag is doubling as a purse that holds some of my personal stuff, it would be great to have it match my personal style as well as be functional for holding baby gear.

Ladybug47
11-03-2009, 11:49 PM
I have owned several, from past seasons. I owned one in Black Twist and the Turquoise Leaf one. Both are gorgeous bags, but both smelled REALLY strong. Enough to make my eyes water. Returned one, sold the other.

I don't know if the new ones smell any less. The newer ones all have stroller straps (and obnoxious red "Stroller Strap" tags on the strap, thus making sure everyone knows it is a diaper bag). Hopefully someone else here might have some input on the newer bags. I'd totally be up for purchasing one again if it didn't have that godawful vinyl smell and cheap print process (print chips on older bags).

I checked out some bags at Buy Buy Baby and noticed just a faint smell on the vinyl bags with the prints on them. The new, quilted ones didn't seem to have a scent. They are a little softer of a fabric than the heavier vinyl, so maybe they're made of a different kind of material that's not as smelly?

Vestirse
11-04-2009, 12:51 AM
I guess it's just a style thing. If I'm wearing a dressier outfit, I'd like to have the option to sometimes carry a diaper bag that's not a boxy backpack or sporty messenger bag. Especially if the bag is doubling as a purse that holds some of my personal stuff, it would be great to have it match my personal style as well as be functional for holding baby gear.

I feel the same way... in the end I bought a couple of large purses from Target and made my own purse organizer.

aajamu
11-04-2009, 05:32 PM
I checked out some bags at Buy Buy Baby and noticed just a faint smell on the vinyl bags with the prints on them. The new, quilted ones didn't seem to have a scent. They are a little softer of a fabric than the heavier vinyl, so maybe they're made of a different kind of material that's not as smelly?

Well, it seems like the newer ones still smell, but smell less, then? I wonder if the prints are as prone to chipping and scratching as the old ones?

I wish the solid ones weren't quilted though. A bit too ski-bunny looking to me, I guess. If they could just come out with solids - non-quilted and non-vinyl, I'd be open to buying them again. They have great organization, are lightweight, and are just the right size (for me).

aajamu
11-04-2009, 05:35 PM
I really dont mean to sound snarky here, just trying to understand- what is wrong withpeople knowing that you are carrying a diaper bag? I totally understand wanting the bag to look pretty or trendy- I also wouldnt want to carry around an ugly, bulky bag. But whats the deal with trying to hide the fact that its a diaper bag? If you have it with you, you obviously have DC with you too. So everyone will understand why you have diaper bag....

I didn't mind carrying an obvious diaper bag when my kids were younger (newborn and 2 years old) but now that I have a 2 year old and 4 year old, I prefer bags that could possibly be used beyond the diaper days. I like the fact that diaper bags are so well organized, durable, and roomy enough for sippies, spare mittens, and coloring books. I don't mind if the bag screams "mom" but I don't particularly care for giant bags with frilly prints and the words "STROLLER STRAP" permanently embossed or embroidered into the shoulder strap (why is that necessary, as if we cannot figure out what a stroller strap is!). At that point, why don't they just label the changing pad (duh) & wipes box (double duh), and embroider "BREEDER" on the front of the bag (just kidding).

ang79
11-09-2009, 06:28 PM
I have an older one, the Turquoise Leaf. I bought it brand new and there was a slight smell to the fabric but it went away after letting it sit out a day or two. The smell never bothered me and I have a pretty picky nose! I've also not had any problems with the screen printing flaking off and I have used mine on and off since I got it last January. I love all the pockets, especially the two insulated side ones. Its lightweight, very stuffable, not boxy at all. The strap adjusts pretty long to wear cross-body (though I never found it very comfortable this way as its one of my bigger bags). I think mine has held up pretty well and I love the colors on the Turquoise Leaf. The new stroller straps would be a great addition but since I rarely use a stroller, its not a deal breaker for me.

emmasrun
11-09-2009, 09:53 PM
I posted something a few weeks ago about finding my perfect diaper bag and it was the Babymel Amanda. I ordered mine off amazon and it didn't have a smell and so far the print has held up. To me it doesn't scream diaper bag like my Skip Hop did. I love all the pockets and the insulated side pockets are great! As for the stroller straps, I may have too much in my bag but they didn't hold the bag on very well so I just used the regular strap which is long enough to fit across the stroller handle bars. I am currently using it for 2 under 2 and it has plently of room.

Ladybug47
11-11-2009, 02:02 PM
I posted something a few weeks ago about finding my perfect diaper bag and it was the Babymel Amanda. I ordered mine off amazon and it didn't have a smell and so far the print has held up. To me it doesn't scream diaper bag like my Skip Hop did. I love all the pockets and the insulated side pockets are great! As for the stroller straps, I may have too much in my bag but they didn't hold the bag on very well so I just used the regular strap which is long enough to fit across the stroller handle bars. I am currently using it for 2 under 2 and it has plently of room.

Emmasrun, I'm pretty sure your post is what made me start checking out the Amanda bag -- so, thanks! :)

I ended up getting the black quilted bag, for my husband to give to me for Christmas. It's very lightweight, which is awesome, and the fabric seemed a little softer and maybe looked a little dressier than the vinyl printed ones. If I could find a pattern I was in love with in the vinyl ones, I might go for one of those, but I really couldn't decide on one, so I thought I should just keep it simple. I used a 20% off coupon at Buy Buy Baby, so I got a bit of a deal on it.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

fedoragirl
11-14-2009, 03:24 PM
I also chose a printed (black and white floral) Babymel Amanda, and it did smell when it arrived, but as with all products, I air them out. After a few days, I did not smell anything.
This is my ONLY diaper bag and I really, really like it. It's dressy enough and holds everything. I haven't tried it on a stroller yet so can't comment on that. But it wouldn't be a big deal for me if I had to carry it on my shoulder all the time.

catpagmo
11-15-2009, 02:09 PM
I have the black Twist print bag. I really love it. It's the perfect size and has great pockets. Mine didn't have a smell/doesn't have a smell. I've had it since mid summer, and the print is starting to rub off where the bag touches my body. I did have a problem with the zipper, but somehow, it fixed itself. I think the stroller straps are a bit small. Once I get them attached, they come undone almost instantly. I just carry the bag over my shoulder. Over all, it's a great bag.