PDA

View Full Version : This doesn't sound like vacation to me....

GoBlue
11-01-2009, 12:54 AM
I just want a reality check from the group....

DH wants us to fly to Florida to spend a long weekend with his parents (fine with me) and then go to a high-end hotel in Palm Beach for 2 nights, then come home. DD will be 9 months old.

I can tell you 100% that packing all of DDs stuff to get from my in-laws to the hotel will be my job. Plus, we're talking about having a highly mobile baby in a highly un-baby-proofed hotel room. Which will also be my job to handle.

This sounded like a great idea when he first mentioned it, but now that I think of the details, it sounds like a nightmare.

I am not uneasy about travel with DD....I took her to see my sister by myself when she was 3 months old. It's the moving mid-trip and staying in a hotel that really don't seem fun.

Am I being a wimp, or does my point of view have merit?

Thanks!

elektra
11-01-2009, 01:03 AM
Traveling, and all things that have to do with prepping for a vacation are a total PITA. But then it takes effort to have fun too, KWIM?
Can you bring a pack n play to contain your DD in the hotel more?
When we went to Hawaii this summer with a 2 y.o and a 6 week old, we had to move condos mid trip too, and I did most of the packing too. I wish we wouldn't have had to move.
The way I look at it though, is that for the next few years, vacations are just not going to be the relaxing while sipping adult beverages lounging by the pool with my eyes closed kind of trips. But I still want to do family trips and just make the most of them.
It would suck worse to never have time away from home I think.

happymom
11-01-2009, 01:27 AM
I dunno, I :heartbeat: going to nice hotels! I think it depepends on how relaxed you are by your inlaws. I know I cant *totally* let loose and enjoy myself by my IL's. So, if I wanted a nice, lazy vacation where I could stay in pj's till 11am and eat lunch in front of the TV- hotel is the way to go, KWIM?
Also, we love going to the pool at the hotel since we never go swimming when we're home. But if youre perfectly content to be by your IL's , then I guess theres no reason to pack up and go to a hotel.

Btw, we just went to a hotel with DD about a month ago- so she was 9 1/2 months. Except DD isnt crawling so I wouldnt describe her as "highly mobile". Even if she was though, I cant think of much that wasnt babyproof except the outlets maybe. What else would be a problem?

MoJo
11-02-2009, 11:17 AM
We took our DD to a hotel for a weekend when she was 11 mo old and have no regrets. It was easier than having her at the ILs, which we did when she was 6 months and 13 months.

The PNP helped, but I'm guessing if you're flying to FL, then you won't have one.

And yeah, I got to be the one to pack, load, and unload everything, while watching DD.

Bryan mom
11-02-2009, 08:39 PM
How about have your in-laws join you and family on a cruise that have baby care?

mmsmom
11-02-2009, 09:05 PM
A lot of hotels will baby proof for you if you let them know in advance. You can also bring duct tape (read this in a magazine) to use to cover the outlets & any sharp corners, tape down wires, etc. Honestly I love staying in hotels... I find it so relaxing because there isn't any housework to do so you can really just enjoy time with the family and when DC naps you can nap too or relax. Someone else to make the bed & clean the room is great. I've never had problems with hotel cribs. Some hotels have high chairs too.

BeachBum
11-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Just got back from a split stay with my twin 9 mo old boys (and 4 yr old big brother)
Yeah, it was kind of a PITA moving--but overall it was great. I loved being at the beach with my boys!
I think the best think you can do is really organize your stuff. When we moved from one hotel to the other we packed all the dirty clothes in one bag and left it in the car the rest of the time. We also had one bag that just contained baby supplies (toys, diapers, sound machine, bibs, food, etc) It made it easier to pack the day time diaper bag knowing right where to go for the stuff.
As for toys, we packed a few chew/teething type things. But mostly toys that could be used in the sand or pool (stacking cups, boats that float, rubber ball) . It worked well for us.

Hope it works out for you!

Melaine
11-03-2009, 08:55 AM
For me, I would probably jump at the chance to stay at the hotel if the traveling and packing from the house had already occurred, ykwim? Getting ready to leave the house and driving the long distance is the worst, IMO. Repacking and settling in a hotel would be worth it for us, I think (although I never went at the baby stage). Typically hotels are much more baby-proof, or baby-proofable than people's homes. All the stuff is bolted down already and it's just pretty sparse, you know?
I hope you have a good trip!!!

hillview
11-03-2009, 08:55 AM
We travel a lot so that doesn't sound so bad to me. I agree with pp to call hotel ahead if it is a nicer hotel, they can make it easier on you. Good luck!
/hillary

vonfirmath
11-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I've had my son in the hotels after REALLY moving around -- 13 months, 17 months, 25 months. And it has never been a problem. MUCH easier than being at home for a relative's home (other than the napping aspect so having to go back and forth)