PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU know you have the flu

infomama
11-01-2009, 01:43 AM
For me the flu was always awful body aches, headache, chills, vomiting, fever, gastro stuff...all at once.

However, I keep reading about how people who have a (only) a fever and a cough think they have the flu. I know medical conditions can manifest differently in each of us but my question is this.....at what point do you say "uh oh, I have the flu."

niccig
11-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Awful body aches, headache, chills, vomiting, fever, gastro stuff...all at once.

However, I keep reading about how people who have a (only) a fever and a cough think they have the flu. I know medical conditions can manifest differently in each of us but my question is this.....at what point so you think "uh oh, I have the flu."

I think it's body aches and chills as well. I'm worried as DS has a fever and just started coughing - it might not be flu, but everyone I've talked to said the H1N1 started with fever and coughing..

american_mama
11-01-2009, 02:28 AM
This is exactly my question and no one seems to be able to answer it consistently. It's a big reason why I have never had a seasonal flu shot - the symptoms are so vague that it just doesn't sound remarkable to me. I don't know that I've ever had the flu. I'd say I've had bad colds, but nothing with killer body ache or high fever. I normally get mild chills and body ache when I have a "cold" - does this mean most of my colds are really the flu?

wencit
11-01-2009, 02:28 AM
From the CDC:

How do I know if I have the flu?

You may have the flu if you have some or all of these symptoms:

fever *
cough
sore throat
runny or stuffy nose
body aches
headache
chills
fatigue
sometimes diarrhea and vomiting

*It’s important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.

http://cdc.gov/h1n1flu/sick.htm

I always associated the gastro stuff that you mentioned in your first post with the stomach flu, not necessarily the regular flu. ETA: On a personal note (and I've heard it elsewhere, too), the flu hits me hard, like within a few hours. I can be totally fine at lunch time, and then be in bed by 4PM with a high fever, chills, body aches, etc. A cold, on the other hand, starts with a sore throat that gets worse and then the other symptoms, such as coughing and sneezing, follow in a day or two. For me, a flu is much more severe in terms of symptoms than a cold. I've gotten many colds. I've only gotten the flu a few times in my whole life.

But I agree that it's quite ambiguous.

infomama
11-01-2009, 02:31 AM
I always associated the gastro stuff that you mentioned in your first post with the stomach flu, not necessarily the regular flu.
I guess to me...the flu is the flu

R2sweetboys
11-02-2009, 10:44 PM
I guess to me...the flu is the flu

Sorry to jump in late here, but the gastro stuff is not influenza at all and is completely different. It SUCKS just the same, don't get me wrong. However, there has always been general confusion out there because the stomach viruses that go around are often referred to as "the flu" so I wanted to clarify. The flu vaccinations will do nothing to prevent a stomach virus. Yes, occasionally influenza may cause vomiting,etc. but that is along with the symptoms of cough,congestion,fever,aches,etc. FWIW, my 6 year old has the flu right now and his main symptoms are congestion,high fever, fatigue, and a bad cough.

Tinkerbell313
11-02-2009, 10:57 PM
I have had season flu...and that came on after what appeared to be regular cold symptons...but once it did...it hit hard...fever, aches, couldn't get out of bed. But, as I said...I had the cold symptons for about 48 hours.

We have also had H1N1 in our house...myself, DD (age 5) and DS (age 3, history of respiratory issues). DD had no symptons...she was tested because she was with me when I brought DS in to the MD. His sympton...a temp of 100 (which I would not run to the MD for that...but the fever was causing his heart to beat rapidly...which fevers do but it still freaks me out). He had no other symptons...no aches, no cough, no runny nose, etc.

Our MD said that they are actually encouraging those with cold symptons to come in...because down here in VA...H1N1 is running rampant...and they are finding that are catching it in time before it could become a big health issue...in other words...by the time the actual flu sypmtons hit...its too late to treat with Tamiflu because its too far into the illness. If kids come in with cold symptons and they test positive...they can treat you before it becomes serious. At least that is what they are finding in my area of VA. Unfortunately, the school systems have not received their shipment of the vaccines yet...so none of the kids have had their vaccines against H1N1.

billysmommy
11-02-2009, 10:58 PM
On a personal note (and I've heard it elsewhere, too), the flu hits me hard, like within a few hours. I can be totally fine at lunch time, and then be in bed by 4PM with a high fever, chills, body aches, etc. A cold, on the other hand, starts with a sore throat that gets worse and then the other symptoms, such as coughing and sneezing, follow in a day or two. For me, a flu is much more severe in terms of symptoms than a cold. I've gotten many colds. I've only gotten the flu a few times in my whole life.

But I agree that it's quite ambiguous.

:yeahthat:

The flu (at least for me) hits hard and fast while a cold (even a really bad one) takes a couple days to come on.

caleymama
11-02-2009, 10:59 PM
the flu hits me hard, like within a few hours. I can be totally fine at lunch time, and then be in bed by 4PM with a high fever, chills, body aches, etc. A cold, on the other hand, starts with a sore throat that gets worse and then the other symptoms, such as coughing and sneezing, follow in a day or two. For me, a flu is much more severe in terms of symptoms than a cold. I've gotten many colds. I've only gotten the flu a few times in my whole life.

:yeahthat:

I've never (knock on wood!) had gastro symptoms with the flu. Most recently, when DH and I both had the flu in '04, he was fine in the morning and shivering and miserable by that evening. I was down with it within 24 hours and both of us were sick - really sick - for the better part of a week. Fever, chills, head to toe aches, bad cough, etc. Like camped out on the couch sick because being up and around was just too difficult.

DD1 (6 at the time) was sick with what I suspect was the flu late last winter. If it wasn't the flu it was a nasty, nasty virus. She had typical cold symptoms but also had bad chills, a wicked headache, no energy,and a fever that would spike every afternoon. She laid around, either on the couch or in bed, for almost an entire week. She did vomit 2x but we believe that was from the pain of the headache. She had no other GI issues.

For all of us, it was way worse than a "regular" cold. It was also way worse than anything like a sinus infection or even when I had bronchitis. That was annoying and I didn't feel great but it didn't wipe me out the way the flu did.

bubbaray
11-02-2009, 11:02 PM
My dr said today that H1N1 specifically is fever + cough. To put this in context, her instructions were to take our Tamiflu prescriptions for any fever + cough. DD#1 and I are high risk and DD#2 may not be able to get the vax for quite some time due to allergies.

Normally, ITA, flu hits like a brick wall and is full-body symptoms, not just "above the neck" like a head cold. Fever, chills, aches. Everything from the hair on your head down to your toenails hurts.

Intestinal flu is not influenza and the flu vax won't do anything to prevent regular intestinal flu. However, H1N1 may have gastric symptoms in some patients.

wendibird22
11-03-2009, 10:31 AM
No personal experience with H1N1 but many students and coworkers at my campus and DHs elementary school have had it the past few weeks. Like OPs have said, symptoms seem to come on fast and hard. One of DHs coworkers said she was so feverish that she sweat through pj's and sheets for 3 days. Many others we've spoken to said they were exhausted and felt like they had been hit by a truck.

Joolsplus2
11-03-2009, 10:51 AM
I had it once, and it was nothing I'd ever like to experience again. Not even any cold symptoms, just all of a sudden I was *freezing* because my fever went up so high so fast. And it cycled up and down for about a week, coupled with just sheer exhaustion and body aches. I've gotten a flu shot every year since then out of fear that it'll happen again.