PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep work related problems from interfering with family time

daisyd
11-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Lately, its been getting harder for me to stop thinking about some of the politics at work after I get back home. I'm not 100% present for DS or DH in the little time we get to be together as I find my mind wandering back to stuff that happened during the day. Just yesterday I was lost in thought while watching DS and he ended up getting hold of and breaking a little ornament. I'm trying to be mindful and busy at home to distract myself from work. Any other suggestions to help me overcome this? Thanks!

SammyeGail
11-01-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't have any suggestions to offer, but I just want to send you some :hug: for acknowledging this and having to go through it. I am so sorry, and the politics really suck! My DH has been for about 2 years and struggles with it, unfortinately he brings it home and takes it out on me and one of our sons, about 5/7 days a week. He is just so fustrated from work.

We live in the same small town he works in, he works in management at an industrial plant, so I don't think his 5 minute commute helps him seperate it much either :(.

He is trying and seems to be doing better, but I know he is just emotionally/mentally drained.

I think if you do have a commute, I would listen to some fun music, anything to get you singing (don't worry what other drivers think about you, if they look at you funny, they are just jealous you're winding down!!). Music you liked in college, fun/crazy lyrics, etc. Thats what I did eventually on my 45 min. drive home when I worked.

Some comedy CD's might be good too, or NRP CD's if you like those. If something can get you if a different mode emotionally. Thats my best suggestion.

DH likes to go running, I don't know if going to a gym, if thats something that would help you unwind, would be an option to do between work and coming home.

Sincerely best wishes for you, I hope things at work calm down. Take care :hug:!

Samantha

ncat
11-01-2009, 10:35 AM
I have the same problem. Yoga has helped - but taking a class in the evenings also interferes with family time and I am not self motivated to practice much without a class.

daisyd
11-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks Samantha. I do have a commute and music and singing is a great idea.

Ncat, I love the idea of yoga,. I've been meaning to try it once my schedule lightens up. In the meanwhile, physical activity even if not at a gym is definitely possible. DS loves to dance and so do I.

Thanks guys.

infomama
11-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Get it off your chest and talk about it....then let it go.
Always makes me feel better.

daisyd
11-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Yeah, talking about it helped. DH listened to me patiently and help me looked at things from a different perspective after he saw how distressed I've been over the last 2 days. Thankfully, I'm doing better now.

I listened to music on my AM and PM commute today and I loved it. Thanks everyone for your support and helpful suggestions.

MamaKath
11-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I have this issue and sometimes it is worse than others. Talk about it. Write about it. Visualize letting it go. Listen to music. And hang in there! Not an easy situation. Glad dh was able to provide an ear and help with some perspective.