PDA

View Full Version : What movie gives you the warm fuzzies but

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2009, 11:55 AM
does not make you cry? A lot of movies that give me warm fuzzies are also tear jerkers but I can think of a few. So far I have Notting Hill, Love Actually, Sleepless in Seattle and When Harry Met Sally.

What would be on your list?

Beth

bubbaray
11-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Thomas Crowne Affair (new version)
Pretty Woman
Hope Floats

pretty much anything with Julia Roberts or Sandra Bullock

ellies mom
11-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Amelie and Penelope come to mind.

DrSally
11-01-2009, 03:04 PM
About a boy is a very "warm fuzzy" movie

pakin
11-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Dan in Real Life and The Jane Austen Book Club.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

elektra
11-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Ocean's Eleven (not exactly warm fuzzies but kind of)
Juno
Bull Durham
A League of Their Own (I lived that movie out IRL!)

AbbysMom
11-01-2009, 05:33 PM
The Holiday with Cameron Diaz

NewMom2007
11-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Pretty much anything with Hugh Grant.

Second vote for Dan in Real Life (love, love, love that movie).

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Forgot Knocked Up and The 40 Year Old Virgin.

Beth

catpagmo
11-01-2009, 07:21 PM
I love these kinds of movies! One of my faves is Serendipity, with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale. Love it!

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2009, 07:23 PM
I love these kinds of movies! One of my faves is Serendipity, with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale. Love it!

I was just thinking about that movie the other day! Good one!

Beth

Melaine
11-01-2009, 08:09 PM
The Holiday with Cameron Diaz

I was going to say that one. I love that movie!

boolady
11-01-2009, 10:01 PM
While You Were Sleeping
You've Got Mail

I love Love Actually, but it does make me cry. Not in a warm, fuzzy kind of way, but since the first time I saw it, I have always cried when Emma Thompson listens to the Joni Mitchell CD. Ugh. Now I cry when I know that moment's coming. I love that movie.

DietCokeLover
11-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Only You
Return to Me (ok, I cried the few times, but now I've seen it thousands of times, so I don't cry anymore)
Sweet Home Alabama
Pride & Prejudice (BBC version)

DrSally
11-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Love Return to Me as well. The supporting cast is just wonderful. The old guys are so lovable.

jent
11-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Chocolat
The Princess Bride
Strictly Ballroom

billysmommy
11-01-2009, 10:57 PM
The Princess Bride
Pride & Prejudice
Wedding Crashers
Knight's Tale
Fever Pitch (especially if you're a Sox fan :) )
Legally Blonde
Almost Famous

purpleeyes
11-01-2009, 11:15 PM
An oldie but a goodie...

Hoosiers

boogiemomz
11-01-2009, 11:23 PM
ditto on a lot of these, but several of them definitely make me cry... especially hope floats (when bernice is crying for her daddy as he drives away... killer), and a league of their own, oh my gosh i pretty much bawl throughout that whole movie... penny marshall is a genius. and i'm totally pregnant and hormonal right now... i just watched you've got mail a couple of nights ago and even that one got me, when she closes the store and remembers dancing with her mom before she walks out the door, then again when she sees tom hanks in the park and realizes he's the one... though i could probably cry at a tire commercial right now. anyway...

some other feel good faves:
fever pitch (LOVE this!!!)
never been kissed (okay i've definitely cried at the last scene before)
BBC pride and prejudice... one of my FAVORITES!!
Sound of Music (I only cry at the folk festival when the captain is singing edel weis and he loses his voice until maria comes and gets the whole family, then the whole audience, singing... for austria... OMG it gets me every time!!)--oh yeah and when the captain overhears the children singing "the hills are alive..." after they fall in the lake and it totally melts his heart... sigh...
much ado about nothing
shakespeare in love
mary poppins (i cry sometimes just hearing julie andrews singing)

so maybe the segment of non-tear-inducing-feel-good-movies is pretty narrow... can't help it, i'm a cryer! my husband thinks i'm crazy... :hysterical:

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2009, 11:48 PM
These are all really good.

I thought I was one of the only people who loved Fever Pitch! Heck, I wondered how many people have seen it. Of course, with it's Red Sox subject matter there is probably a built in audience.

Beth

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Don't for get the kids movie

Iron Giant.
I LOVE that movie!

kijip
11-02-2009, 03:16 AM
High Fidelity
Amelie
Running on Empty
Muriel's Wedding

SnuggleBuggles
11-02-2009, 09:02 AM

Iron Giant.
I LOVE that movie!

I was trying to think of kid movies. I know there are some but I'm drawing a blank. I haven't seen Iron Giant yet.

Beth

frgsnlzrds
11-02-2009, 01:17 PM
If you like Love Actually, watch He's Just Not That Into You. Also, I loooooooove How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days. Maybe it's Matthew McConaghy (sp?) but that movie just makes me happy! :D

lchang25000
11-02-2009, 01:18 PM
One of my favs of all time...Love Actually. :)

lizzywednesday
11-02-2009, 01:24 PM

Iron Giant.
I LOVE that movie!

BEST. MOVIE. EVER.

But, so many of the movies that give me a warm fuzzy feeling are ones that I get all choked up at, so it's so hard to choose!

I'm another one for Serendipity (I <3 John Cusack) also Love, Actually (I am a sucker for the plotline with the little boy and the one with Colin Firth) and pretty much anything Colin Firth is in. Whoever said While You Were Sleeping is my soul sister ... I absolutely HAVE TO watch this whenever it's on TV.

I also get the warm fuzzies with Parenthood, Father of the Bride (remake w/Steve Martin & Diane Keaton; have not seen more than 5 minutes of the Spencer Tracy version & I <3 Spencer Tracy) and, yes, really, Edward Scissorhands.

ETA: Also 50 First Dates is really fuzzy, despite the big walrus puke joke in the beginning ... and then there's the ORIGINAL Angels in the Outfield, which I will definitely buy on DVD as soon as I figure out if it's available ... such a sweet, simple, warm little movie; I am surprised that I love it so. *sigh* And, speaking of baseball movies, I am also partial to Field of Dreams. (It's also one of two sports-movies my dad likes; the first time I saw it, we watched it together.)

I do get a bit misty with the ones I've watched a billion times, but no full-out bawling like with My Girl.

boogiemomz
11-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Of course, with it's Red Sox subject matter there is probably a built in audience.

Beth

i don't care one bit about the red sox and this is one of my favorite movies! i just LOVE jimmy fallon and drew barrymore together... i think this *may* have contributed to a tiny crush that i *may* have on jimmy fallon... :loveeyes:

lizzywednesday
11-02-2009, 01:32 PM
If you like Love Actually, watch He's Just Not That Into You. Also, I loooooooove How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days. Maybe it's Matthew McConaghy (sp?) but that movie just makes me happy! :D

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days is so goofy it's heartwarming. Also, it has Bebe Neuwirth in it (she's Kate Hudson's boss at the magazine) and I love-love-love Bebe! (And it's McConaughey ... yeah, I had to IMDB it.)

arivecchi
11-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Family Stone
The Holiday

Love holiday movies!

SnuggleBuggles
11-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Family Stone
The Holiday

Love holiday movies!

Family Stone made me cry like crazy. I'd love to rewatch it because it was really good but I don't want to cry. Call me heartless. :)

Beth

egoldber
11-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I hate to cry at moives, so I am very picky. ;) For instance, I have never seen Titanic and never plan to.

Two of my favs are Moonstruck and My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

lizzywednesday
11-02-2009, 02:10 PM
I hate to cry at moives, so I am very picky. ;) For instance, I have never seen Titanic and never plan to.

I hated Titanic and didn't cry at all; in fact, I remember laughing at the weak-a$$ dialogue. Also, my butt went totally numb about halfway through.

HOWEVER, despite hating the movie overall, I do actually get a little misty when they show a couple of scenes, like the poor mother with her children in steerage and the older couple, but the "Don't let go, Rose" part is really dopey IMO.

egoldber
11-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Like I said, never seen it so I have NO idea what you're talking about. :) But the whole idea of watching a movie where I know in advance that main character(s) will die....not so much my idea of a good time.

Reyadawnbringer
11-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Family Stone
The Holiday

Love holiday movies!

:yeahthat:

I LOVE these movies.

lizzywednesday
11-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Like I said, never seen it so I have NO idea what you're talking about. :) But the whole idea of watching a movie where I know in advance that main character(s) will die....not so much my idea of a good time.

I think that the teenyboppers who were desperately in love with Leonardo DiCaprio were the ones bawling the most in that one ...

The sets and CGI were amazing, though! Maybe a "making of" featurette might be more your speed ... at least you'd get to see the accuracy!

(The guy I was dating at the time had a "thing" for tragedy at sea. Collected stories, books and memorabilia about all famous and not-so-famous aquatic tragedies ... very weird obsession, I know, but what can you do?)

maestramommy
11-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Notting Hill,
Sleepless in Seattle,
101 Dalmations (the old one),
Lars and the Real Girl,
The Truth about Cats and Dogs,
The Gods Must be Crazy
Baby Boom
Tootsie
Glory Road
Emma
Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth version)
10 Things I Hate About You
About a Boy

lizzywednesday
11-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Baby Boom

I <3 that movie, too.

Truthfully, I think I will watch almost anything with Diane Keaton in it. (Frankly, IMO, Baby Boom is a bonus because it's also got Harold Ramis!)

Reyadawnbringer
11-02-2009, 04:32 PM

Lars and the Real Girl,

LOVED this movie!

american_mama
11-03-2009, 12:04 AM
I see Katie put High Fidelity on her list; I was thinking of it too, but I couldn't quite remember how it ended.

This Is My Life

A very good movie. Love the relationship between the sisters and the mother.

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Baby Boom is fantastic!

Beth