PDA

View Full Version : Almost only "family" gifts for the kids?

Elilly
11-01-2009, 02:20 PM
DH and I were discussing that our kids have a ton of toys etc. We like to have "Board Game Sunday", family movie nights, and wii tournaments with our kids. So, we are thinking of getting each child a new bike (they have both outgrown their old ones) and then doing the rest of the gifts as "family" gifts but allow the children to open them. I like the idea of creating more opportunities for us to spend time with them AND teaching them that it's not always about them as individuals. That said, is the holiday season the time to do this?
Erica
PS- They are 5 & 7.

justlearning
11-01-2009, 02:31 PM
We're only going to be giving our two kids (ages 4 and 6) a gift/gifts costing around $50-60 each and then give them a family membership to a local zoo and another to a science museum. So, of course, in my opinion, it sounds great to do what you're proposing! I should also add that the price range I gave above are for all of the Christmas gifts they'll get--they won't get any others from friends or family.

I think giving them your time is WAY more valuable to your kids than the amount of toys or money you spend on them. And it sounds like you already have great traditions in place for spending family time together.

baymom
11-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Erica,

How about a subscription to your local chamber orchastra, musical theater or dance group, ect--depending on what your kids are interested in? Our town has a small scale local theater and chamber music group that are A LOT less expensive then in larger, metro cities. So far, we have only ever taken our older one (age 5), but it does make him feel so grown up and sophisticated to get to go. This way, you could have something to look forward to, discuss, ect well into the new year.

Jen841
11-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Love them! We have loved our Zoo and Musuem memberships. They create 'adventures' for us and we have taken advantage of the reciproicals.

This year we are doing a membership to a kids programs at the Walnut Street Theatre in Philly.

Our 'home' family gift will be an air hockey table this year. Was debating this or ping pong, but I think this will work better with our ages (4 & 6.)

misshollygolightly
11-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Sounds great to me! I love family gifts! And, if you do stockings, those are usually personalized for each family member, so that + new bike (and maybe a helmet?) sounds like plenty to me!