PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for 60th Birthday for my mother

niccig
11-01-2009, 02:28 PM
My mum turns 60 in December. I have no ideas for a present from us, and it has to be good. One sister flew in from the UK now as she can't be there in December, the other sister is also flying in from the UK for the actual birthday. We will not be there. We did go visit back in May for Mother's Day, so that has to count for something right?!

I thought I could do GRANNY photos like the Daddy photos we did for Father's Day. But other than that, I am STUMPED....Help me PLEASE...

ETA. I have to send it to Australia.

ETA. I thought of having someone do up a family tree. I like this one on ETSY http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=33533505 unless someone else has another seller or shop. My sister is at home with my mother now, so I can get her to go through the family bible and get the names of my Great Grandparents - I can't remember the spelling... What do you think?

Swimfreak78
11-01-2009, 05:09 PM
My mom just had her 60th. I was planning to get her a spa certificate -- which she ended up not wanthing. What about you and your sisters combining funds and getting her somethign she really wants? Tickets to a show? Dinner out? Movies?

happymom
11-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Ooooh I love that family tree. Sounds like you want to do something more meaningful than just a typical birthday gift. What about a slideshow of pictures from over the years-with a nice, meaningful song in the background. We did that for my parents 25th anniversary and they LOOOVED it!

wellyes
11-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Family trees are nice and/or ask around to find a photo of herself when she was young - and put that on the cake. We did that for DH's grandmother on her 80th and it made her cry (happy tears).

truly scrumptious
11-01-2009, 06:27 PM
For my mom's 60th, I bought her a pendant with three birthstones - hers, mine, and DS's. She loved it. You can custom order exactly what you what at jewelsforme.com.

MMEand1
11-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Ooooh I love that family tree. Sounds like you want to do something more meaningful than just a typical birthday gift. What about a slideshow of pictures from over the years-with a nice, meaningful song in the background. We did that for my parents 25th anniversary and they LOOOVED it!

I was going to suggest this as we did it for my parents 25th anniversary as well. I also saw this online today and thought it would make a great gift, although a little pricey...http://www.angelprintsjewelry.com/

Pepper
11-01-2009, 07:53 PM
We hired a chef to cook a 60th birthday dinner for my Mom and Dad. I live in a different city from my folks; I know that my mom loves French food so I called a few French restaurants where they live and asked for recommendations of a personal chef-for-hire.

I worked with the chef to create a menu of Mom's favorite foods. We did let her and my Dad know that we were planning this gift, so that she could choose the day for the Big Event. The chef and his assistant came to their house and did all the cooking, serving and cleaning up. He brought everything needed for the dinner, including the plates and whatnot, but ended up using some of my mom's stuff too (she has a collection of china) so it was nice for her to get to use her beautiful things for this special meal.

It was a few years ago, but I rememebr that the chef worked with us on the budget (it was a gift from my 2 btohers and myself). I think the total cost was $160? Not bad for a three-hour, custom gourmet meal :-)

carolinamama
11-01-2009, 09:18 PM
For my mom, my sister and I went in together and got her a bowl from Tiffany. Something she will always be able to display (or use I suppose) but she wouldn't buy it for herself. We also spent time with her in Atlanta taking her to the aquarium and out to dinner at a good restaurant.

For my mil, DH and I gave a family portrait with her and our family together. We bought a small frame and typed up a meaningful quote about remembering the memories and then said something about her gift being a family portrait. We paid for the sitting fees and for a framed portrait. She ordered some extra pictures that we did to add to her collection. They did some great shots of her with our two boys that she got. It was pricey in the end, but she LOVES pictures and has told us numerous times that it was the most meaningful gift she has ever received.