PDA

View Full Version : Food at DS's bday party

HIU8
11-01-2009, 08:05 PM
DS is having a bowling bday party. it includes a meal of a hot dog, chips a drink and we are doing cake. One mom asked if it was ok if she brought a kosher hot dog for her DD. I said yes, of course. There is a little boy who is allergic to peanuts (although DS's classroom is completely nut free so there is absolutely no confusion). Should I provide something for this little boy or just let the parents bring what he can eat? The mom has rsvp'ed to the party but said nothing about bringing something. I don't want us to eat in front of this child while he sits there. I'm hoping the mom brings something, but if not, what should I have for him?

hardysmom
11-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Am I missing something? It doesn't sound like you are serving anything with nuts, so what is the worry?

Unless he is severely allergic, I think you are fine.

If I know someone is coming over with allergies, I try to make sure I am not serving anything which might cause a reaction, but it doesn't sound like you are.

I would try to be as nut-free as possible (within reason) with the cake and avoid anything obvious, like PB cups or trail mix or anything. That would just be rude. If you are planning a nut infused side-dish of some sort and can't do something else, I would tell the mom. If his allergy is bad, she may not want to come.

Many kids with allergies are fine if they have a trace amount, like, if the frosting was made in a factory which has nuts. My son's best friend had a bad nut allergy when they were little, but now she can be around other kids eating PB&Js without "getting itchy."

On the kosher thing, why not just get kosher dogs, like Jewish National, for everybody? They are available everywhere and don't cost a lot more, relatively speaking.

stephanie

HIU8
11-01-2009, 09:53 PM
I wasn't sure if the buns or the cake might be made in a place that also deals with nuts.

As for the hot dogs, the bowling alley is supplying all the food. I'm not allowed to bring in anything except the cake.

almostamom
11-01-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm the mom of a boy with a severe nut allergy. Call the mom and let her know what you're serving and that you want to know if it's okay for her son. I promise you she will most definitely appreciate it. If I know there's going to be pizza, I need to know where it's made so I can bring a safe slice for my son if I need to (sounds crazy, but there are 2 pizza places in our neighborhood whose pizza is not safe for my son). Are you preparing the food? I appreciate it so much when the parents save the food ingredient labels for me. At the last bday party DS was at, both the mom of the bday girl and I were surprised to find out that WalMart's store brand cream cheese was not safe for DS.

You are very, very sweet to think about wanting to make sure this child has safe alternatives if necessary. :applause::applause::applause:

Linda

ETA: It looks like we posted at the same time. There is not a nut-free/safe bakery anywhere in my city. I always bring a cupcake for DS, but this child's allergy might not be as severe. I'd call her.

HIU8
11-01-2009, 09:55 PM
The bowling alley is doing the food. I'm not allowed to bring anything except the cake. I'm getting the cake at our local grocery store. I have to go in and ask for a list of ingredients.

Cheburashka
11-01-2009, 10:18 PM
I would just call the mom and let her know you're concerned about her son's allergy. Explain that the meal is provided, so you're not sure what's in it, and you just wanted to let her know in case she wanted to send her son with his own meal. Then she'll either send him with something, or tell you the provided meal is ok.