PDA

View Full Version : another H1N1 vax question

HIU8
11-01-2009, 09:35 PM
DD and DS just got the H1N1 MIST on Saturday. My sister calls tonight that DN has confirmed H1N1. She got the MIST on October 15th (first dose). DD plays with DN daily at preschool--so we are keeping a close eye on DD just in-case. Anyway, my question is if a child gets H1N1 after having one dose of the MIST vax, does it negate the vax? I assume I should still get the second dose if DD does get H1N1?

Laurel
11-01-2009, 10:33 PM
I think for (a certain amount of time) after having the MIST, one will test positive for H1N1. Are you sure DN has full-blown flu?

HIU8
11-01-2009, 11:54 PM
My sister reported to me that the doc at the clinic (she went to a ped clinic today and will go to her ped tomorrow) said it was H1N1, but a milder case than they have been seeing. Could it be from the MIST?

Radosti
11-02-2009, 12:47 AM
It is not from the mist. She got the mist 2 weeks ago, not long enough to have developed an immunity to the flu. She most likely was exposed 1 week after getting the mist, so definitely not enough time for the mist to protect her.

If your DD does end up getting the H1N1 flu, do NOT get her the second dose of the mist. Having been exposed to the wild type virus will make her immune to it, so no reason to get her a second dose. The mist is a modified virus, so needs 2 doses. Having the real thing, wild type virus, will take care of her immunity. It would be a complete waste of the vaccine and an unnecessary vaccine for her.

HannaAddict
11-02-2009, 02:30 AM
I would really Ask your ped this question. It is not a given that getting H1N1 will result in complete immunity going forward, that is a question that they are still looking into. This question goes beyond the opinions of the well researched moms of the board. :) It might be milder for your niece since she had the first dose and her immune system was getting ready to fight off the virus, even if not strong enough to fight it off entirely. Before you make a decision to not get the booster, I would talk to your ped. I hope your little one stays healthy and that your niece is feeling better soon.

egoldber
11-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Anyway, my question is if a child gets H1N1 after having one dose of the MIST vax, does it negate the vax?

Do you mean should you get the second dose if you get H1N1 in the meantime? Probably yes (if you can find one). Unless you have a confirmed case of H1N1 (and not by the rapid, in office test, but by a true lab test which is really only being done for hospitalized cases) the CDC is recommending getting the full course.

Personally, I would feel comfortable following the PP's advice and skipping the second dose, but that is not the official stance. :)