PDA

View Full Version : If you're a "gym" person...a couple of questions.

wolverine2
11-01-2009, 10:10 PM
If you belong to a gym (and actually go regularly), were you always a gym person? If not, how did you get to the point where you could commit to it? How do you fit exercise in, especially if you're a WOHM? What time of day do you go?

I'm feeling the need to get in shape- would love to lose a few pounds, but the major motivation is a desire to have more energy, feel better about myself, etc. I have tried to join gyms a couple of times before (pre-kids), and never made it very long before my membership was more like a donation. I've been thinking about joining a gym lately. I'm a WOHM, and am wondering whether I could make it to a 6am class, and get to work by 8. Then I wouldn't miss too much time w/ the kids.

However, there's much about a gym I'm not sure I like. I don't like cardio machines (have a treadmill in our house that DH uses, but I've never touched). I do like classes, and whenever I've been even remotely committed to exercise, it's been a class. I love the stroller fit classes in our area, but I can only do it in the summer because I work during the year (at a school). But I have no internal motivation to exercise at home alone. The presence of others in a class definitely motivates me- as long as I can get there!

Thanks,

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2009, 10:28 PM
I got myself back in the gym habit and am now happily addicted. :) Once it becomes part of your routine, it's easy and you'll want to go.

When I really got into it it was because there was a class offered at a really convenient time, multiple days a week. It was at 6pm and I would take ds to the babysitter there. Once he started going to preschool more often then I would go lots of mornings but still take him there at 6. I know that doesn't really help you with fitting it in WOHM.

I did do a 1 month boot camp class in June at 5:30am. If I could have stuck with that early morning workout it would have been great. It was so nice to just get it out of the way and not eat into any family time.

Now I take ds2 to the nursery at the gym every morning around 9:30 M,W,F and then I go while he is at preschool Tues and Friday.

On the Mommy Fit board I posted the fitness challenge I have been doing- a go at your own pace triathlon. It has been really helpful to have a tangible, numeric goal. I have been trying to do it as fast as I can and will do it again when done.

Classes are fabulous and offered at alternative places like community centers and dance studios. You might try that instead so you don't feel like you are wasting a full gym membership.

Beth

deannanb
11-01-2009, 11:22 PM
I try to go to the gym 2-3 times a week -
I commited to working out by paying for a trainer -
If I HAD to get to the gym - then I would go -
I've been successful for a few weeks - (minus the time with a sick kid)

Can you rent a locker? I found that to be helpful too - leave some shampoo and deo in the locker - towels and a hairbrush.

and good music on your ipod!

bubbaray
11-02-2009, 12:41 AM
I WOTH more than FT and I have yet to find a way of fitting in regular gym workouts. You'll read a lot of moms here are doing it, but AFAIK, most of them aren't WOTH FT. YMMV.

I thought about doing early morning workouts, but until my kids start sleeping better at night, the thought of losing yet another hour of sleep is NOT appealing. Plus, I do drop offs in the morning, which means running around like a crazy woman. I swear, the stress of just getting out the door in one piece and with all children and their gear has GOT to count for a workout of some sort.

My physiotherapist actually assures me that it DOES get better once the kiddos are in school. The stresses and time pressures are different, but more conducive to working out. For example, if the girls get into soccer, I could run laps around the field, KWIM?

Anyway, my point is don't beat yourself up about it. Do the best you can and then just accept -- it is what it is. I would love to get back into running, but there just aren't enough hours in the day. So, I try to walk at lunch. Some coworkers run, but then I need to work an extra half hour to account for my shower, etc.. I'm extremely lucky to have 1-1.5 hours with the girls at night, I don't want to lose more of that time, KWIM?

I've toyed with getting a treadmill, but we don't really have anywhere suitable to put it. It would possibly help my scheduling, though, b/c I could run on the treadmill and then be showered and dressed while the girls were eating b-fast.

jacksmomtobe
11-02-2009, 01:11 AM
I am someone who enjoys working out. I'm just finally getting back into it now that DD is in preschool a few mornings. I am fairly self motivated because I know that for me a strong body goes a long way in making me feel good and empowered. In reading your post I was going to suggest having someone else to work out with. When I worked I used to run at lunch and I found when I started running with a group that if you were feeling a little unmotivated or feeling like you should stay at your desk having others push/encourage you gets you going. For you since you like classes and want to go in the morning you may want to try to find a bootcamp. I did one over the summer and it's a lot of varied exercises to cover your whole body. Either do it with a friend or you may just get that extra drive being a part of a group within the class. Working out in the morning is great because it gets your day off to an energized start and you are already done with your exercise for the day. DH works out of the house and goes at lunch time. He likes to break up his day that way and release some energy mid day. I would encourage you to push yourself to go in the beginning then after a short while you'll start to feel good and want to continue. There is many different types of exercises at gyms today so find something you enjoy. Also cardio is much easier with headphones since most gyms have tvs that you can watch while working out. I find that with headphones it gets me in more of a zone and makes the time fly by. For me its time to stop thinking about everything else going on in my life and take a mental break. I hope you find a routine that works for you!

Good Luck!

LexyLou
11-02-2009, 04:06 AM
Honestly, the best way to really get into the gym is to get a trainer. Can you purchase a small package? It will totally pay off.

A good trainer will teach you so many great things and get you excited about working out. You'll learn to workout in ways you never knew about and learn to challenge your body and mind so you aren't bored.

I'm a gym rat-pretty much always have been but took a long 3 year break from it after having my first and then second 22 months later.

It was so hard for me to get back into it and then I got a trainer and I haven't looked back.

I'm in better shape than I was pre kids and fit into all my pre-pregnancy clothes and I feel great and I really do owe it all to my trainer.

MartiesMom2B
11-02-2009, 04:55 AM
I've gotten a personal trainer and the best advice that she has ever given me was to go to group fitness classes. I love my group fitness classes. It really prevents me from getting bored. I like having the variety and I feel more committed to stay during the whole class than if I'm doing a machine.

egoldber
11-02-2009, 06:21 AM
I am. I lost several pounds a few years ago. I second the advice for a personal trainer, even for just a month. It was my birthday present to myself one year. :)

I still go regularly (WOTH FT), but only because we have a free gym in my building at work and I go at lunch. Otherwise, I don't know when I would go.

wellyes
11-02-2009, 07:24 AM
SPIN! The thing about spin is that it's very effective. If I go on a exercise bike, I puddle along at my own pace. Spin class really pushes me, I sweat everywhere, sometimes I get out of breath. But the next day every part of my body feels better. I even have better posture. It is intimidating if you've never done it but --- I am a size 20 these days and have never been a gym person, very sedentary until a few months ago. See if you gym has a "basic spin" or "30 minute spin" class to start. I took one of those, went to a 60 minute spin for my next class, then started taking spin 3x week.

You're wondering, does it work if I'm a size 20? Dunno, I'm on a break right now due to morning sickness, only took it for about six week and now I know why I never lost much weight in that class..... But I really hope to get back to it when I can. Great low-impact cardio workout.

The other class I love is BODY PUMP/GROUP POWER, which is a group barbell class. Lifting weights alone = tedium. Lifting weights to music with a bunch of other women & a coach in front motivating us is, surprisingly, FUN.

egoldber
11-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Lifting weights alone = tedium

LOL! I think it very much depends on your personality. I find it very zen and I enjoy it. I do think you have to be careful not to be too easy on yourself and to push yourself, which is why having a trainer can be very helpful.

SnuggleBuggles
11-02-2009, 08:27 AM
LOL! I think it very much depends on your personality. I find it very zen and I enjoy it.

:yeahthat: I love it!

eta- but Group Power or Body Pump rock!!! GP was the class that I was referring to before. I adored it. I loved being able to lift more than any of the other girls (and some of the guys). It was a great, all over workout.

Beth

mariza
11-02-2009, 08:49 AM
I have the same problem. I've been toying with the idea of joining a class instead of a gym. Maybe that could work for you? I like that idea because then it's just one class your paying for and no monthly fees or contracts to get involved with, not to mention you are being held accountable by the instructor. Local dance and karate studios near me offer several fitness classes such as zumba, yoga, hip-hop step, etc. I just can't get motivated to do it but I need to!

LBW
11-02-2009, 08:50 AM
I dunno. I was a FT freelancer (at home) until a few weeks ago. It was simple to fit in gym time 3x/week since I made my own hours. For the past few weeks I've been commuting into NYC for a contract job and haven't made it to the gym once. I get on the train at 6:50 and don't get home until 6:30. There's no way I'm going to the gym at 5 or 5:30, and by the end of the day I'm too exhausted. Plus, if I stopped at the gym on my way home, my kids would never see me.

If you think you can do early morning, I think that's your best bet. If classes are your thing, make sure that there are several options for classes at the times that suit you. I do think personal training would be a huge motivator, especially as you are getting into your routine. Maybe set up an appt once every week for a few weeks, and then space out the appointments as you get more used to working out.

wolverine2
11-02-2009, 09:12 AM
I love my group fitness classes. It really prevents me from getting bored. I like having the variety and I feel more committed to stay during the whole class than if I'm doing a machine.

Yes, this is me. If I'm on a machine (or try a video at home) and become bored or tired or whatever, I just stop. But if I'm in a class with other people, I try to keep up appearances. :)

As much as I hate the idea of getting up and out the door at 5:30am, I think that may be the only thing that will work for me. (I already get up at 6, so it's not that big a difference). I do like the class-only idea, but haven't found anyone who offers classes at 6am. The gym I'm thinking about joining does have a class-only punch card, so maybe I'll start with that, and then if I can actually complete the punch card, go for the membership. I do like weights, and maybe I could tolerate the machines once or twice a week!

Wellyes... thanks for the spin recommendation. Some of the 6am classes are spinning, and I've always been intimidated because I don't love biking. But maybe I'll try it. And do you have an announcement or something?

elephantmeg
11-02-2009, 09:58 AM
I was not a gym person. Got into it a little in college trying to tone up before the wedding/loose the weight to fit back into my wedding dress :) and then got out of it when I started working. I got back into it and worked out but over ate for a few years and gained. Then one day I saw a pic and was horrified. So I started really working out 4-5 times a week 45 min cardio/weights 3 x wk etc. Lost 40 lbs felt fabulous, got pregnant. I've gotten back into it after each kid-the first year with DS was hard-he hated the child care. Now with 2 kids it's a welcome break. They have cable (we don't) so it's mommy TV time and now I can't live without the endorphin rush. Really. I like TV so I do 30-45 min treadmill or eliptical and then do 20 min weights 2 x wk. I try for 4 days a week. My gym has a free assessment and training program when you join, after 3 months and then every 6 months. So you can get new weight programs every so often.

wolverine2
11-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I was not a gym person.

This is what I want to hear. There is hope! Thanks for the inspiration...

HIU8
11-02-2009, 11:12 AM
I belong to a gym in a community center where DD and DS also go to preschool. I am a fanatic. I started going in college due to knee issues in order to avoid surgery. It worked and I'm totally addicted. I love to work out. I hate classes. I prefer the cardio machines where I can talk to someone, watch TV or read. I also lift weights (although I have not in several months) and I love the rush I get from that. I liked it so much that I actually got a degree in knesiology and was a trainer for awhile. FWIW, I still have to have surgery, but only on one knee. The other has never needed it and I maintain the knee through working out and maintaining what I had originally rehabed.

elephantmeg
11-02-2009, 11:20 AM
This is what I want to hear. There is hope! Thanks for the inspiration...

really there is. I HATED exercise. PE was always my worst grade. But doing it on my terms makes a difference!

JTsMom
11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
I am SO not a gym person, but I wanted to mention that the YMCA might be a good match for you. We joined ours right before I found out I was pregnant. So much for that whole losing weight first thing!

Anyway, our Y is amazing. They have free child care in a nice, big area filled with fun stuff to do, a cushioned walking track, state-of-the-art machines, and more classes than you could imagine. All of the regular fitness classes are included with your membership, so you can keep changing things up however you'd like. There are also many types of water aerobics classes at every level.
They offer different types of trainer programs as well.

It also doesn't have that typical gym feel at all. There are tons of moms, and tons of seniors. You see people of all different shapes and sizes.

cono0507
11-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I second the recommendations for a trainer. I finally got back into working out summer of 2008 - when DD was weaned and I was tired of not being as fit as I'd like (getting too winded while hiking, etc). I worked out with a trainer 2-3 times a week for 8 weeks and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. Since then, I am self motivated for it and I have started running and did a triathlon this summer as well as many 5K's this year. And this is from a girl who couldn't run more than a block or two before stopping earlier this spring. The trainer made me very comfortable at the gym and helped me really understand and be comfortable with how all of the equipment is used. Best money I ever spent.

egoldber
11-02-2009, 11:58 AM
The trainer made me very comfortable at the gym and helped me really understand and be comfortable with how all of the equipment is used.

I had forgotten this, but this was very important for me. I was always very intimidated by all the machines, equipment, gym etiquette, etc. The trainers showed me how to use it all and got me over that initial fear.

tarahsolazy
11-02-2009, 12:16 PM
I was also never a gym person, and now I'm hooked. I had a period of intense exercise between 2000-2003 where I was part of a great running group and ran three marathons, tons of other races, etc. My first pregnancy ended that, and I hadn't been able to get back into it.

I joined a big gym in my area last January, and I am now addicted to it, particularly to Spinning. Its really a great way to get an amazing cardio workout, and strengthen your core and legs at the same time. After an hour class, there is a puddle on the floor under my bike. I have never found a workout that can do that. I know that if I am on that bike at the assigned time, I'll work hard, even if I don't want to. I wasn't able to make myself do that on a cardio machine by myself. I also second the Bodypump rec. My current ideal regimen is 5 spin classes a week, 3 bodypump classes a week. I don't always make that goal, and its the bodypump that I tend to fall down on.

I WOH more than full time, including overnights and weekends at times. To be able to get my workouts in, I need to do the early am classes, ours are at 5:30. I hate going to bed early, I hate getting up at that time, but its not feasible any other way. I do take my kids to the gym daycare, which they like, usually one evening a week and on Sat ams.

Go for it, once you're well-established, you won't regret it.

AnnieW625
11-02-2009, 12:54 PM
I enjoy working out and I always have. Sometimes it's a struggle for me to get to the gym, but once I am done I am so glad I went.

I became a gym person when I was in college and moved to San Diego State as a 20 year old to attend college. I joined the gym on campus and it was included in my room and board fee. It got me hooked on step aerobics, some simple weight lifting, and cardio. I was hooked and have had a gym membership continuously for almost 12 years now.

Prior to DD1 I worked out after work for about an hour to an hour and a half a couple of days a week and did yoga at least once a week. Now that I have DD and I work full time outside the home I go to the gym on my lunch hour at least two or three times a week as it's close to my work, and then again try to work in a yoga workout on the weekends/weeknight (although I haven't been really good about). If I don't do yoga I'll also try to do a gym workout on Saturday PM. Also once or maybe twice a week I'll go walking near my work for 2 or so miles during lunch (it was jogging, but doc. says to keep at min. right now because of some spotting issues).

I won't lie I much preferred working out before I had children because I got a much better workout. Sure I could drop DD off at the gym daycare, but that just seems soo wrong to pick up my child from daycare and drop her in another daycare for an hour plus. My 40 minute lunch workouts don't just cut it and I know it, but it's what I have do. I have done 5:30 am classes before, but it's very hard for me to get up that early esp. being pregnant. Next summer once #2 is here I'll most likely enroll in Stroller Strides to get my butt in shape. I have never worked with a trainer because I have friends who have taught boot camp style aerobics classes or have been competition all natural body builders so I have learned some tricks from them.