PDA

View Full Version : Gift to new big sister from baby....

doberbrat
11-01-2009, 10:13 PM
cant remember where I heard about this first but I think it'll be nice. (I also plan to let dd go shopping for something for the new baby while I'm in the hosp) but when should they 'exchange' gifts??

When we bring baby home or when she meets baby in the hospital?

boogiemomz
11-04-2009, 10:14 AM
sorry you haven't had any replies. i just wanted to tell you i think this is such a lovely idea, and so thoughtful of you to think of ways to honor big sister and make her feel like she is a special part of this time, too, not just baby. as for when to make the exchange, i think you could have it with you in the hospital and just wait until it feels like the right time. might be in the hospital but might not be until you get home. you'll know. either way, it will be a special time and a sweet memory for everyone! :heartbeat: congratulations!!

MamaMolly
11-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Just seeing this now, what a lovely idea! I think we will do the same for DD and DC2. OP, what are you planning for baby to give big sis? I'm wondering if a toy she'd like now or a memento (like a charm or necklace) that she can keep forever? Both?

cdlamis
11-04-2009, 10:38 AM
DD #1 gave DD#2 a Jellycat stuffed animal (SO soft) and DD#2 also gave her one as well. 5 yrs later, it is still their favorite animal and they sleep with them every night.
http://www.loulouscorner.com/page/LouLou/CTGY/JELLYCAT

They also sell these at the Gap now.

awoodm
11-04-2009, 02:42 PM
We did this with the boys. I didn't give DS1 anything to give DS2 come to think of it, but he didn't seem to mind. LOL. I had the gift for DS1 "from" DS2 in the hospital for when he came to visit me. That worked well for us. I would take it with you, and if it feels right do it then. I think it would be just as special to do it when you get home too.

bubbaray
11-04-2009, 02:56 PM
DD#2 gave DD#1 a monogrammed LE canvas tote filled craft stuff, a Dora "Big Sister" DVD etc.. She "gave" it to DD#1 when DD#1 came to the hospital on the day DD#2 was born. Our friends were looking after DD#1 and it was a lot of "stuff" for them to occupy DD#1.

DD#1 also got a "big sister" t-shirt from our friends and a stuffed dog (looks just like my avatar).

the2bobs
11-04-2009, 04:48 PM
I think it depends on the age of the kids. I just had DS2 and we got some stuff for DS1 (he's 2) and he couldn't have cared less. He didn't notice that the new baby was getting gifts. I think it's a really great idea tho if the older sibling is older--and will notice all the attention the new baby is getting.