PDA

View Full Version : Oxiclean Secrets please

jgenie
11-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I finally broke down and bought some oxiclean. I've done a few loads with it, but don't seem to notice much difference. I've just been adding it to my laundry loads. Please share your tips and tricks for using it. TIA

twowhat?
11-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Ahhh yes the magic of Oxyclean! Is this for baby laundry? Here's what I do (and we have an HE washer):

Put 3/4 scoop of Oxy in the tub (NOT in the detergent dispenser). Rotate the tub so the powder falls into all the little holes. Add everything that has stains (for us, this is most of the baby laundry). Start soak cycle (our machine has a 1 hr cycle that soaks the clothes, tumbling them every so often). Halfway through soak cycle, pause the machine. Leave it overnight, or for a few hours. Next morning, let the machine finish. Then add your regular detergent in the dispenser, add any laundry that didn't need stain treatment, and run a cycle with extra rinse. Voila! And SO much easier than spot-treating each and every stain!!

baymom
11-01-2009, 11:35 PM
:yeahthat:

jellibeans
11-01-2009, 11:41 PM
I have soaked a few shirts that my son wore and had stains that didn't come out after washing. The stains came out! I soaked them for maybe 3 hours.

Jo..
11-01-2009, 11:45 PM
If you have a HORRIBLE stain that NOTHING gets out, moisten the stain and rub some Oxyclean right on it. Put the garment in a large bowl and add another scoop of Oxiclean and cover with BOILING water. Soak overnight.

I have gotten out EVERY stain known to man with this method, but generally use it as a last resort, as it can fade colors.

SammyeGail
11-02-2009, 12:08 PM
This is what I do if I have several things I need to soak. I start with hot water in the laundry sink (or bucket, kitchen sink, etc). I go by the directions on the oxiclean, so much scoop per gallon of water, I use an old milk jug to measure my water.

I fill up the sink to about as much water as I think I'll need, adding the oxi. Since what I recently had was powder, I waited until it disolved, I have a pair of 'oxi' rubber gloves to stir the water, rub around the bottom of the sink.

When its disolved and the water is at least lukewarm, I add the clothes. check the clock or set a timer. I'll go and check a stain in between, etc. When its done I'll put the clothes thru the washer. If its a stubborn stain I may leave the shirt in a while longer.

When I added it to my laundry I ran into some problems with the powder not disolving and the little crystals leaving white spots on some things. I wash on cold and dry on delicate, so that was probably the problem. I also ran into some red stripes running into the white of a onsie when soaking in hot/very warm water, so watch out for red ;).

Thats all I do with it, maybe I should get a bit more aggressive, LOL, I have an outgrown pristine Mini-Boden shirt that has a target (darts) on it, but the white in the target has these little stains on it like the color of rust. I've soaked it twice for 3 hours each...maybe I should do hot water!

Good luck!!

tnrnchick74
11-02-2009, 12:11 PM
When I do my laundry, I tend to sort like this: dark, light, towels, sheets, and STAINED!

Anything stained gets the overnight soak in oxyclean...if its smelly too (poopy/urine especially) then vinegar gets added.

One other use for oxyclean I've found - adding to my vinegar to scrub my floors...VERY effective for that ground in dirt!