PDA

View Full Version : Ped Upper Endoscopy

jgenie
11-01-2009, 10:51 PM
DS is 21 months old and for the last few months has fallen off his growth curve. He's pretty much stopped growing. He's 18 lbs 5 ozs and 32 inches tall. DH & I are small and we've been marking it up to genes. DS has been seeing a Ped GI doctor. We had bloodwork done, an ultrasound of his abdomen and everything came back normal. The Dr. is suggesting that DS have an upper endoscopy done to rule out reflux or allergy issues that might be causing him problems and we might not be seeing. The endoscopy would be done under general anesthesia which makes us very nervous. Anyone BTDT? Thoughts? Thanks!!!

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2009, 11:24 PM
I wish I had some experience to share. I just hope all goes well and they can figure things out!

When I was little I was really small. They did growth studies on me and were really worried. I think after I turned 3 I picked up and grew normally. They had chalked it up to genes after a while.

My dh has an upper endoscopy every other year as a precaution for the type of cancer he had. They don't do it under general for him, just that twilight type phase. He says it is really fast and easy.

(((((hugs)))) Keep us posted.

BEth

lilycat88
11-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Susanna had one a couple of years ago when she was 3. She was screaming and moaning in pain nearly every night for a couple of months. X-rays didn't show anything more than a little more gas than normal. Her GI didn't think there was anything seriously wrong and offered to either do the endoscopy or wait. As much as we didn't want the anesthesia, we didn't want her to continue in pain if there was something wrong. We went ahead for peace of mind. As suspected, nothing was wrong and we never did come up for a reason for the pain.

The procedure itself wasn't a big deal at all. Of course, nothing to eat or drink before. Starting the IV was not the most pleasant thing but they gave her some liquid medication before that made her a little loopy. So, it wasn't horrible. It was quick...I think she was only gone 30 minutes or so. She bounced back really fast. Are you sure they are going to use general? I'll have to ask DH but I am almost positive she was only sedated. Seriously, she was eating a popscicle within 10 minutes of coming out of the procedure. That couldn't have been general. She wasn't in pain when she woke up (as opposed to adenoids!) so the waking process wasn't bad. She was a little groggy until the popscicle appeared.
jamelin

KpbS
11-02-2009, 12:49 AM
DS1 has had three. I totally understand your nervousness--his first one was at 6 mo. and I was beside myself nervous about the anesthesia. Everything went very smoothly--the "waking up" period from the anesthesia was the most difficult--they are very groggy for some time and can be fairly uncomfortable and irritable. But this is not always the case--his second one was much, much better so I wouldn't necessarily assume it will be unpleasant.

The procedure itself (upper GI series) is usually very quick--the doctor will visually look at the tissue for any changes/abnormalities and take some tiny tissue samples for the pathologists to examine. Most likely your doctor will come and speak to you after the procedure about the initial results and you will go to be with your DC as he is waking up from the procedure. The nurses will determine when you all can go home and give you specific instructions about food, drink and contact numbers to reach the doctor on call should your DC experience any problems.

:hug: If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. :hug:

mytwosons
11-02-2009, 07:04 AM
DS1 fell way off the growth chart at about that age, and we finally figured out about a year and a half later that he had celiac disease.

klwa
11-02-2009, 07:37 AM
DS1 fell way off the growth chart at about that age, and we finally figured out about a year and a half later that he had celiac disease.

:yeahthat: I asked my doctor if we needed to have my children checked for celiac when my father was diagnosed & this was what they told me. That they only really check if a child starts falling off the growth chart.

KpbS
11-02-2009, 08:24 AM

I agree w/ PPs. I would speak to your doctor about adding a lower gi to your already scheduled upper gi series. This would give a much clearer picture potentially about what might be going on or possibly further rule some things out for your DC.