PDA

View Full Version : DD's Birthday Party Thoughts/Opinions

bays72
11-01-2009, 11:56 PM
OK, so my DD will be turning 5 right after Thanksgiving and we promised her a Birthday Party months ago. Of course since, then we have had a few financial set backs so while we are still going forward with the party, we are being a bit more economical about it. So given that, I am hoping to get some opinions on our thoguhts/plans. I should start by explaining that at the Pre-School that DD attends, it is customary to invite the entire class, Not everyone attends, but everyone still gets invited. With that in mind, there are 18 kids being invited plus 3 cousins who are around the same age, with DD that makes 22 kids. So on to the questions.

1) Since our home is not big enough to accomodate that many kids, we are renting a room at our local Y and plan to have the party from 1-2:30. What do you think think of just serving snacks and cake (cupcakes in our case)? I know the kids are used to eatting lunch at 12:00 during the week, but do you think parents will expect something more than snacks?

2) Given that the party is right after Thanksgiving and getting into the holiday shopping time do you think the parents may appreciate the option to drop off thier kids (aged 4-5) instead of staying with them? I was thinking of adding to the invite the following (it's a Pirate Theme): "To the Lil' Pirates Parents: Some time away, we all need to take. If you be needin the time (and we do understand), Feel free to drop off your cap't and take a much needed break". If I added this, is it clear that it's an option and not mandatory?

So any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanx!

sariana
11-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Given the time of the party, I personally would not expect a meal. My kids couldn't wait that long for lunch, anyway.

If you're worried, you could say something about it on the invitation. Mention that snacks will be served. Most people should realize that this means no meal.

I like your pirate ditty and won't even try to come up with one for the food issue. But you could do something similar.

I think I would figure out from your poem that "drop-off" was optional. I would not, at this point, leave my 5-y-o DS alone at a party because I know he needs constant supervision. So I personally would just ask the host(ess) if it was okay for me to stay. (I also would need to bring along DD, which might mean DS could not go. But that's our only option as DH is away.)

ha98ed14
11-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Here are my thoughts:

Yes, I think if you have a party at 1:00, people are going to expect food. What about ordering pizza and having cupcakes? Or having a party from 2 to 3:30. Then you could do just snacks because it is clearly after lunch and before dinner.

I would seriously reconsider inviting parents to drop off their 4-turning-5 year olds. First, even if only 10 kids come, do you have enough adult family members to supervise? Do you want to take on the responsibility of correcting/ discipling another person's child if the need would arise? Since these are pre school classmates, it's not necessarily a family you know well to know their parenting style or behavior expectations. Kids tend to behave much better at school than they do out of school, so you may have a little hellion among them and not know it.

Second, what if parents are late coming back? Your party is 1.5 hours. That's not really enough time to go do any real shopping considering there will be travel time, so if a parent tried to go anywhere, they may be late coming back. Are you going to be okay staying there a half hour (or more) if parents are late? Will the Y charge you more for being the room if parents are late?

Birthday parties are a blast and a PITA at the same time!

traciann
11-02-2009, 12:37 AM
For a 1pm party I would not expect to have lunch. If you are concerned you could put snacks and cupcakes provided which I think is perfectly fine for the time.

As far as dropoff the line it cute. I would not dropoff my 4 year old to a class party. I would for a friend or family, but that is just me. I also agree that its not really that long of a party, so I wouldn't opt to do that.

Fairy
11-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Sounds like a wonderful party!

* I just had a Peter Pan party, and I got some great ideas for activities from a birthday party website. I can't remember it, but if you do a search on my ID and Peter Pan birthday, then you'll find it in the thread. I cheap cheap option is to play bingo, and you can make your own picture bingo cards with your own pictures of any kind at a few very good bingo card generators online. Then buy a Peter Pan Little Golden Book for five bucks for the prize. There are lots of great ideas like that costing next to nothing if you're looking for ideas.

* I do think 1pm will come with a meal expectation. Can you move the party to 2pm? That would help. Or a morning party at 10am you could get a Bagels & Cream Cheese pack from Einsteins or soemthing, then have maybe M&M's and juice and cupcakes. Might cost as much as the snacks would have? If you can't change the time and can't serve a meal (you'll need alot of pizza for 22 kids and all their parents (you should probably feed everyone), then try to make the snacks substantial.

* I think drop off at age 4 going on 5 is fine for some, not fine for others, and I think your poem mae it very clear that it was totally optional. Do make sure you have plenty of adult / YMCA supervision so that you don't end up insane at the end of the party.

Good luck!

-- Fairy

kransden
11-02-2009, 12:40 AM
I just had the giant bday with a grand total of 27 kids! I had chips w/dip, a fruit tray, a veggie tray and cupcakes. The parents ate the food and a few of the kids nibbled. The veggie and fruit trays were really not needed. For preschool age I would have goldfish crackers instead of chips. You never know when someone will need a little snack.
So my vote is cupcakes and goldfish!

SnuggleBuggles
11-02-2009, 09:08 AM
So long as you tell them that just snacks and cake will be served then you are off the hook for providing lunch, imo. It doesn't matter that people might think it's lunch time since you are being clear and saying that there won't be lunch.

Your drop-off poem conveys the message you want.

Beth

egoldber
11-02-2009, 09:14 AM
I agree, just let people know that the party is only "snacks and cake" and you're fine. No need for a meal at a 1-2:30 party. :)

hillview
11-02-2009, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't expect lunch at a 1 pm party. If you want to just say it on the invite. I like the drop off note but I would never do this. I am too chicken :0
/hillary

Jen841
11-02-2009, 09:46 AM
I would mention Snacks.

Give the parents the option to drop off (nice touch) but also make sure you have the adult supervision you need for your sanity.

I love the idea of doing a party at the Y. I was thinking of that for next year for one or both boys. We love the Y!

MamaMolly
11-02-2009, 10:09 AM
At that time I would expect lunch unless the invite stated otherwise. You could put 'Light snacks, cupcakes and juice will be served' and that would cover it.

I LOVE the drop off you came up with, and I think it is a very generous offer. It doesn't sound mandatory at all to me. Even if I sat and had a pedicure and read a magazine in that time I'd be over joyed.

And I'd hustle quick to the after Halloween sales and stock up on any pirate themed costume or candy goodies! Gold coin candy, eye patches, etc. Now is the time to save on that stuff. Sounds like a great party.

tmarie
11-02-2009, 10:16 AM
I definitely don't think you need to provide more than cake for a party at that time, but I would mention in the invite that cake will be served, just to be safe.

I probably wouldn't do a drop off at that age, but I'm sure it depends on how well everyone in your schools knows each other, etc... I think the wording is fine if you just want to give the parents an option to stay/leave.

GL!

tmarie

kristenk
11-02-2009, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't expect lunch at that time, at all. Snacks would be great.

I think your drop-off note is very clear.

bays72
11-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts/comments/suggestions. I really do appreciate them.

I think I'll add a line to the invite about snacks and cake being served, and then plan on having some heavy snacks. If it's clear, it seems it won't be a problem.

I'm glad it's clear about the drop off being an OPTION. I was afraid the parents may think it was mandatory instead of an option. I know for me persoanally it would depend on how well I knew the parents whether or not I would just drop off DD, so I really wanted it to be an option. I have 6 adults helping out so hopefully the insanity should be lessened :bouncy: