PDA

View Full Version : New FAT Dog Help

kransden
11-02-2009, 12:57 AM
I am getting a 2 yr old corgi tomorrow. She is FAT, not chubby but FAT. I figured "Well so am I; we can go on long walks together." :D

My question is what is a good quality diet dog food? She eats anything.

Radosti
11-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Innova Evo is a phonomenal diet for dogs and will help her shed the pounds.

egoldber
11-02-2009, 08:20 AM
We had a corgi for many years. :) Loved her although she was very stubborn and strong-willed.

Corgis are very prone to overeating. We had to severtely limit her food and strictly enforce no treats to get her even approaching a normal weight. And contrary to what you might expect based on their size, they need a fair amount of exercise, at least 2-3 hard runs a day. They are a working breed and need to run!

BabyMine
11-02-2009, 08:58 AM
No advice but I just wanted to say Congratulations on your new family member!!!!!

kransden
11-02-2009, 09:11 AM
We had a corgi for many years. :) Loved her although she was very stubborn and strong-willed.

Corgis are very prone to overeating. We had to severtely limit her food and strictly enforce no treats to get her even approaching a normal weight. And contrary to what you might expect based on their size, they need a fair amount of exercise, at least 2-3 hard runs a day. They are a working breed and need to run!

Yes, that is her. She is a four legged garbage disposal. She seems very happy to be with me and even happier if I have a treat. ;) She won't be running anytime soon. I think we'll have to settle on 2-3 hard waddles a day for a while. :D

egoldber
11-02-2009, 09:16 AM
I think we'll have to settle on 2-3 hard waddles a day for a while

Too funny! :ROTFLMAO: I never realized how much table droppings our corgi ate until she died and I had to clean the floors myself.

sunshine873
11-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Too funny! :ROTFLMAO: I never realized how much table droppings our corgi ate until she died and I had to clean the floors myself.

Yeah, now that DD is eating real food in a high chair, I've come to realize that dogs should be required equipment for clean-up! I'd be mopping those floors 3 times a day if it weren't for our two labs! Guess I'll have to pay close attention to their weights too, now that they are getting "extra treats"

doberbrat
11-02-2009, 10:18 AM
congrats on the new addition!

I dont feed kibble anymore but if I did it would be california natural or innova. both require feeding much less than IAMS type foods so watch portion control carefully. I always had to feed even less than the lable suggested.

also, one way to slim her down is to figure out how much she should be eating and then replace 25% of it with a low cal vegie like greenbeans. try to rotate what veggies you use and stay away from the starchy ones.

and start walking. if she's realy fat, you might only get 2-3 blocks but start there and slowly increase.

and do watch the table scraps - they can really add up to the calorie count.

as far as treats, peas, carrots, cherry tomatoes all make great treats. if you refer to them as a treat/cookie etc, they can often be just as excited as the high calorie crap.

misshollygolightly
11-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Congratulations! You might ask your vet for dog food recommendations. We've been very happy with Science Diet Lite (though we do not have a Corgi, and there may be something better for that breed). Also, want to second a pp's suggestion to use carrots and other veggies for treats. Our mini schnauzers have always loved bits of apple, bell peppers, and baby carrots for treats--I rarely buy anything else. I would, however, steer clear of tomatoes and grapes, as they can be toxic/unhealthy for dogs.

lowrioh
11-02-2009, 10:42 AM
We always gave our pug carrots as treats and he loved them. We also used to put some canned pumpkin in his food.

Melanie
11-02-2009, 11:05 AM
I would suggest 2-3 small meals a day instead of one big one.

Also just google around for foods people like for their corgis. We have a poodle and apparently it's somewhat common for them to have problems with grains, for example. So we feed Natural Balance Grain-free. However your breed might have other issues (or none at all!).