PDA

View Full Version : Facebook "Friends" @#$

kransden
11-02-2009, 02:02 AM
Let's be clear: I hated high school and most of the people in it. I was friended by 3 people who I am still friends with. Now their "friends" know who I am and they are trying to friend me. I have no interest in being friended by them. So please stop trying to friend me!!!! We never once ate lunch together - please just go away! I am not interested in friend collecting. I could care less about your life and mine is none of your business.

I feel better for venting -Thanks.

elliput
11-02-2009, 04:43 AM
I understand. My thought on this issue is- just because I know you, doesn't mean I want to be your friend. IRL or on FB.

SnuggleBuggles
11-02-2009, 08:57 AM
I just assume they are friend collectors and easily ignore (or just keep them hanging so they can't request me again and waste our time again). I haven't felt a need to block any of them. Ignoring them suffices.

Beth

hellokitty
11-02-2009, 09:02 AM
I know what you are talking about. That is why I used a nickname on facebook. High school friends don't know about it, since I acquired the nn in college and I have NO interest at all to, "friend" anyone from my high school days. So, I've totally avoided the whole, "dredging up bad high school memories" scenario on FB, b/c of that. FWIW, if I were in your shoes, I'd just push ignore/block and not even sweat it.

Reyadawnbringer
11-02-2009, 12:21 PM
I understand. My thought on this issue is- just because I know you, doesn't mean I want to be your friend. IRL or on FB.

:yeahthat:

SammyeGail
11-02-2009, 01:06 PM
O M G, this aggrivates me sooo much too!! I grew up in a small town, alot of people stayed, or some moved to the 'city' close by.

I loved one mssg I got 'Remember me? We rode the bus together?' WTH? I stopped riding the bus when I was 13!!

I have friended a few people that were my actual friends in HS, and get the same crap. Well, I have put them all on ignore but 2, LOL!

I want to say 'I moved away from that town, far away, I don't even own a HS annual (right word?). I have forgotten most of you. Leave me the he!! alone!'

It would be ok to send a mssg to say Hi, whats going on, etc, kwim?

One girl that absolutely torchered me in HS, in 10th grade one of her ex-boyfriends met me (I didn't know him) and we talked, he was talking about me, he liked me, it got back to her and thus I was her enemy until graduation, ugh!

She sent me a friend request. It actually pissed me off, LOL! What a crazy bi@t*h! After a few days I wrote her a mssg, basically tearing her a new one, asking if she had somehow lost her mind, what concept does she not get about facebook that sending a friend request to someone you were NEVER friends with? Etc. Those HS memories, I don't like 'dredged' back up, kiwm? (Thanks for the wording HelloKitty).

I had seen her about a month or so before I got pregnant with the boys. (Alot of my family still lived in my hometown) My sister wanted to show me a mural my nieces friends mother had painted on the wall of her nursery for a baby girl she just had. She was over there visiting, I guess they were friends. She tried being all chatty with me, I didn't like her, I wasn't chatty with her at all! My sister acted standoffist (didn't know what was going on there) to the mother so I didn't feel bad.

I hate even going back to my hometown, I don't 'recognize' people, but DH and I will get stopped by someone. I just have to pretend, say a quick hi and that we have to go.

Sorry to vent on your post....this just hits really close to home for me.

karenj2
11-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Y'all should change your settings so that only YOUR friends (on FB) can see your info, not THEIR friends... I don't know how to do it off the top of my head (and can't access FB at work), but that should help cut down on the friend requests.

MMEand1
11-04-2009, 03:44 PM
The whole "friend" thing of FB kind of cracks me up...all these people that you were not friends with in HS that would not give you the time of day now wanting to be your "friend"...whatever.

I think for some of them, it's a way to "show-off" how successful they have become since high school and what they have dome with themselves. I know that when I posted a picture of me in my spacesuit for my little picture, I had tons of people try to "friend" me. When I had just a plain picture of me, I did not have so may requests...coincidence, maybe? But I think some people are just nosey!

There is one girl that keep s sending me "friend" requests. It's kind of funny because she has done it 4-5 times and I keep hitting ignore. SHe sent me numerous death threats in high school for no reason. I was not dating anyone, did not even hang out in the same circle, but she sent them to me to the point that several adults (and maybe even the authorities 0 don't remember it was so long ago) had to get involved...crazy! And she wants to be my "friend?

SammyeGail
11-04-2009, 05:26 PM
I think for some of them, it's a way to "show-off" how successful they have become since high school and what they have dome with themselves. I know that when I posted a picture of me in my spacesuit for my little picture, I had tons of people try to "friend" me. When I had just a plain picture of me, I did not have so may requests...coincidence, maybe? But I think some people are just nosey!

There is one girl that keep s sending me "friend" requests. It's kind of funny because she has done it 4-5 times and I keep hitting ignore. SHe sent me numerous death threats in high school for no reason. I was not dating anyone, did not even hang out in the same circle, but she sent them to me to the point that several adults (and maybe even the authorities 0 don't remember it was so long ago) had to get involved...crazy! And she wants to be my "friend?

OMG, she's crazy, ROFL!! She keeps asking you!?! I've heard there is a way to block someone, but I don't know how. I got another one today from some guy, I don't remember him, we didn't go to the same school, (I looked at his info) just the same town.

I should change my pic to something really cool, (can I borrow your spacesuit, LOL). I put one of the boys up a few weeks ago. Oh wait, I can't find our digital camera :(. In my hometown some people reached their peak in HS and live off if it, kwim? 'I was a cheerleader, now I work at the bank', or 'I was a popular football player, now I drive a forklift at xyz industries'. It is really funny when I see the more popular people from HS being FB friends with people they would have never been seen with then. Homecoming is not coming up so its not time to be nice to everyone to get a vote--barf!

arivecchi
11-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Just go to your account settings and adjust the privacy settings so that only your friends can see your profile, pics and list of friends. If you are part of any networks/schools, you might want to remove yourself from the network/school, so that people who belong to that group cannot find you. If all of this fails, hit ignore request. :)

kransden
11-04-2009, 08:23 PM
The person got me by a comment I posted to someone else's wall. No where is my single name listed and my account setting are private. There was only myself and 1 other person with my first name spelling in a 10 year period. So it was easy to figure out who I was. Grrrr...

Wife_and_mommy
11-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Ugh. Sorry.

This is what I loved about my very common name before I married. There were a million (or close to it) so I was not easy to find. Now, not so much, esp. in the part of the country I live. I *hate* being the only person with our last name in a large city. Hate it.

Ceepa
11-05-2009, 08:57 AM

Actually it sounds like she's at the "make amends" part of her 12-step program.