PDA

View Full Version : Creative Ways to use Learning Tower

Melaine
11-02-2009, 10:20 AM
A few months ago, I sent a verycasual "query" to a website that sells the Learning Tower. My proposal was that I would write an article with all the ways of using the Learning Tower and pictures of my kiddos using it. The plan was a different activity for each day of the month. In exchange I would receive a new Learning Tower and two Easels. Never heard back and totally forgot. Just received an email from the president of the company and they said they are interested. It would really be fun for me to be published in any small way, since my dreams of being a writer have really fizzled lately.

So, I'd love to hear any creative ways that you use the Learning Tower. I have some ideas, but might be a little short of 30! Thanks for any input.

Here are the ones I've thought of that we have done:
1 washing hands,
2 planting seeds/watering them
3 shucking corn
4 cutting/chopping
5 making cookies
6 decorating cookies
7 ABCs (fridge phonics set)
8 topping pizza
9 making sandwiches
10 puppet show
11 kitchen set-up (they put their toy stoves on the LT and use it as an island)
12 drying dishes
13 washing dishes
14 crafts

What else? Thanks a bunch!

Glizmo
11-02-2009, 10:34 AM
We just got our learning tower last week, so far we haven't used it for too much, but she has used it for brushing teeth and scooping seeds out of our pumpkin for Halloween (mama did the carving). And, of course, water play (pouring water between cups & bowls in the sink - and sometimes out of the sink, lol!)

kayte
11-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Here's an old thread I started....

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=171573&highlight=learning+tower

nrp
11-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Making/playing with playdough. I also second the water play at the sink. DD can do that for a long time - just put a couple of towels down first!

Use it to play "store"?

Melaine
11-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys! I never thought of brushing teeth there and kayte, I know I saw that thread but totally forgot about it. This will help!

Melaine
11-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Playdoh! Duh! You guys are great!

ourbabygirl
11-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Sounds wonderful! Be sure to send us the link of your list, etc. when you finish ;)! DD's only 12 months so she's only used it a few times (I'm afraid she's not sure-footed enough to be in it long), but I'm looking forward to doing the activities you mentioned.
Maybe something with decorating Christmas ornaments?
Coloring/ drawing pictures/ finger painting?
Also sorting laundry that you throw onto the kitchen countertop/ island?
Making pizzas (putting on toppings)?

Melaine
11-18-2009, 01:06 PM
I want to thank everyone for contributing to this thread. Here is my list of all the things we did.
1) Using the apple-corer to make apple pies. They liked turning the crank
2) Beating eggs for omelettes
3) Brushing Teeth
4) Grating Cheese
5) Baking/Decorating cookies
6) Using the LT as a playtable (building with blocks)
7) Making appetizers. I let them wrap the little cocktail wieners in biscuit dough
8) Puppet Show
9) Topping Pizza
10) Art Easels
11) Washing the Dishes
12) Play stove on the counter next to the real stove
13) Playing with water in the sink
14) Making their own PB& J
15) Tea Party for the dolls in the LT
16) Making and playing with playdough
17) Both kids could work on two different things in the corner of the counter
18) Playing with magnetic letters (on easels)
19) Playing store. We set up all the play food using the LT as a stand
20) Cleaning the cabinets
21) Drying Dishes
22) Making wraps
23) Cutting fruit
24) Planting/Watering seeds at the counter
25) Making Cinnamon Toast
26) Shucking Corn
27) Playing Ice Cream Shop (tent/drive-thru)
28) Making coffee (they scoop it into the filter for me)
29) Baking Bread
30) Washing hands

Maybe this will give some more ideas. We had a great time!

hillview
11-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Cool
DS makes it into a fort

/hillary

hellokitty
11-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Playing fish (they could fish off of it with poles and magnetic fish), like they are fishing off of a dock.

jhamman
11-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Here's an old thread with a super-cute photo
demonstrating another creative use for a Learning Tower:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166597

Nyfeara
11-18-2009, 03:58 PM
DS also likes to use it as a fort, play peek-a-boo thru the holes, it's also a safe spot for when the dogs come charging into the kitchen (he actually hands them milk bones from in the tower), and he likes to dance on the platform. :boogie:

Melaine
11-18-2009, 04:02 PM
it's also a safe spot for when the dogs come charging into the kitchen (he actually hands them milk bones from in the tower), and he likes to dance on the platform. :boogie:

That's so funny, because we use it this way too. When we first come in our dog is VERY enthusiastic and the girls hop up there until she calms down. Also they get up there to eat a cookie or cracker so that she won't steal it!

713abc
11-19-2009, 02:34 PM
One of our most common uses is as a tabletop for my 2 yr old DS...I put a plate of food and a drink on the tower and he can eat standing up or go off and play and come back for more of his snack etc when he wants to (obviously very casual dinning!).

jent
11-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Pouring cereal. Every morning, DD announces "I want to go downstairs and have cereal." Then she climbs up in her LT and says "I want to help pour." So I put out her bowl and give her a box of cereal. Needless to say, I have to sweep cereal out from under our LT a lot.;)

toby
11-19-2009, 08:47 PM
DS stretches a large rubber band across the top of one of the arches and strums it like an instrument! Also, as others have said- to keep food away from the dog, dancing and fort. Oh, and a parking garage for his cars underneath and (not sure if this was mentioned)-- to hide from parents!

maydaymommy
11-20-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm thinking that we'll use it to give ds1 a safe place to play with toys that have tiny pieces once ds2 is moving about and getting into things.

Also, we can do puzzles together while he's in the LT at the kitchen island I can easily check in and participate with him while moving around the kitchen.

Finger painting!