PDA

View Full Version : Tempted to fib (H1N1)

JMS
11-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Flame away, it might be what I need. Here's the background. DS2 is 7 months old and has not gotten the H1N1 vax b/c my Ped only has the mist (not sure if my Ped getting the shot at all). A couple months ago he had a cold (no fever) and a horrible cough. Went to the ped and it was not H1N1. I'm unfortunately assuming that he might follow DS1's footsteps and be prone to horrible cough and respiratory infections.
About a year ago I switched family practices but never did anything official with paperwork. My 'old' practice has the H1N1. So I called and the very rude (one of the reasons I left b/c the office staff is horrendous) receptionist informed me that b/c DS was not under 6 months, I was not a priority. She told me he was a priority (no kidding) but b/c he's not a patient, they can't give him the H1N1 vax. I said I wasn't interested it getting it for him but for myself b/c in my opinion there is little difference between 6 months and 7 months. I am still his primary caregiver and he is not vaccinated.

So.... I did say my name when I called but I can't imagine they notated my file. I'm tempted to call tomorrow, hopefully get someone else and say that he is under 6 months. !!! I can't imagine they would ask for proof of DS2's age???
I feel horrible even thinking this. This is something that would tug at my conscious if I went through with it. I would hate to take away a shot from someone who needed it more. I did hear though from several people that this practice got a large shipment of H1N1. I'm not sure if it's true. I'm hoping it's the single vial, but at this point, I'm willing to take the risk for myself if it isn't. Oh.. H1N1 is rampant in DD's school right now.

Most likely I won't call back but I wanted to get some honest opinions. The BBB pool always seems so good at collectively setting me straight :)

elephantmeg
11-02-2009, 12:11 PM
they'll pull his reccord to give the vax and know. They may not know that you aren't a pt anymore but they will know his age

ha98ed14
11-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Sorry, I'm not clear about who you are calling. You are going to go back to the old practice for a shot for you, because DS is only a hair over 6 mo?

My conscience is clear (for you) as long as you are not planning to vax the 7 mo old. If you go to the old practice (because they are the one that has it. Current Ped does not) and get the vax for yourself because you are the primary care giver for a young baby who will not be vax'd, I think you are acting morally.

If you vax 7 mo old DS2 and then take a vax for yourself in another office, I think you are acting irresponsibly. Then you would be taking the vax from another person's child or parent of a child < 6 mo.

JMO.

JMS
11-02-2009, 12:14 PM
they'll pull his reccord to give the vax and know. They may not know that you aren't a pt anymore but they will know his age

He's not a patient there so they have no record for him. Technically I am still a patient there.

JMS
11-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Sorry, I'm not clear about who you are calling. You are going to go back to the old practice for a shot for you, because DS is only a hair over 6 mo?

My conscience is clear (for you) as long as you are not planning to vax the 7 mo old. If you go to the old practice (because they are the one that has it. Current Ped does not) and get the vax for yourself because you are the primary care giver for a young baby who will not be vax'd, I think you are acting morally.

If you vax 7 mo old DS2 and then take a vax for yourself in another office, I think you are acting irresponsibly. Then you would be taking the vax from another person's child or parent of a child , 6 mo.

Any, JMO.

I'm sorry guys I wasn't clear... see how much this is bothering me :)
DS2 (7 months) can't and most likely won't get the vax. I'm trying to get it for myself b/c I am his caregiver.

eta: technically I am not a priority b/c I am not caring for a child under 6 months. He's 7 months.

ha98ed14
11-02-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm sorry guys I wasn't clear... see how much this is bothering me :)
DS2 (7 months) can't and most likely won't get the vax. I'm trying to get it for myself b/c I am his caregiver.

Fine. Why are you questioning yourself? Your DS is young and possibly has airway problems. What are you going to do, wait ti he has an asthma attack to find out? Go get the vax. If the office gives you crap about it, I would even call YOUR GP and ask if you can come in and get it.

JMS
11-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Fine. Why are you questioning yourself? Your DS is young and possibly has airway problems. What are you going to do, wait ti he has an asthma attack to find out? Go get the vax. If the office gives you crap about it, I would even call YOUR GP and ask if you can come in and get it.

So when she puts me on the spot (today she specifically asked how old he was) should I lie and say he's 5 months? She told me "we are following the CDC strictly" like 4 times, meaning he's over 6 months and therefore you are out of luck.

Snow mom
11-02-2009, 12:32 PM
The reason the cutoff is caring for an infant under 6 months is because he wouldn't be eligible for a vax at under 6 mos. At this point he can be vaxed so you aren't considered high priority but he is. Are you planning on vaxing him when the shot becomes available at your pedi? We are in a similar boat in that DDs pedi only has the mist and not the shot yet so she can't be vaxed yet. We are just riding it out. Honestly, because she is in daycare I am not the biggest threat to her getting H1N1. You getting vaxed will only protect you from getting H1N1 and spreading it to him-- it won't stop your other LOs from bringing it home to him. I guess overall I fall on the don't lie to get the vax side. I do think it is ridiculous though that the shot is available to you but not to him.

egoldber
11-02-2009, 12:34 PM
:yeahthat:

It seems like it would be easier just to get him vaxed if he is the one you want protected. Just because you get vaxed, does not mean he can't pick it up elsewhere. JMO.

ha98ed14
11-02-2009, 12:36 PM
I guess I'm not 100% clear on where you are going? Are you going to get the shot from the old ped? How could they not know how old he was? Had you already switched Peds before he was born so he has no chart there?

I would think that despite his being over 6 mo, the fact that you have a history of airway problems would be enough to convince her.

egoldber
11-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I think her old "ped", was a family practice doctor. She is a patient there, but they have never seen the baby, so technically he is not a patient.

I would think that despite his being over 6 mo, the fact that you have a history of airway problems would be enough to convince her.

They are reserving their vax supply for their patients who meet the CDC criteria and she/her DS does not. We can agree or disagree on that, but there is a reason for the criteria and when there is currently not enough for everyone that wants one, you have to make decisions. I would not count of the office staff changing their minds.

o_mom
11-02-2009, 12:39 PM
I guess I'm not 100% clear on where you are going? Are you going to get the shot from the old ped? How could they not know how old he was? Had you already switched Peds before he was born so he has no chart there?

Her ped does not have the vaccine, so she cannot get one for the baby. Her current GP doesn't have it either. Her old GP has some, still considers her a patient, but doesn't want to give it to her because her son is over 6 mos.

She is looking for a shot for herself, not her son. The old GP doesn't have any records on her son, so unless they remember her from the phone convo, they won't have anything to go on except her word as to his age. The question is if she should lie about her son's age to the old GP so they will let her get it.

elephantmeg
11-02-2009, 12:43 PM
He's not a patient there so they have no record for him. Technically I am still a patient there.

oops I miss-read!

ett
11-02-2009, 12:50 PM
I could not in good conscious lie to get the shot.

Kestrel
11-02-2009, 02:41 PM
We lied.

DH is 8 month old DS's primary caregiver, since he works from home and I work elsewhere. He's 39 with a heart problem. Pharmacy would only give H1N1 shots to heart patients over 40, and primary caregivers of 6month or younger babies. He brought an older photo of DS and lied. I'm ok with that. I think the exact lines, with no wiggle room, is crazy. (I am egg alergic, and cannot have it.)

I must add, though, that vaccine is not anywhere near as short here as it appears to be in other places; it's been availible for weeks. Perhaps I would feel different if it wasn't as widely availible. DH got his shot after it was availible for four weeks or so.