PDA

View Full Version : Are there shots given at a 5 yr old well visit?

HIU8
11-02-2009, 01:07 PM
the thread about H1N1 and regular vax had me thinking. DS has his 5 yr old checkup on Dec 5th. After Nov. 28th he can get the second dose of the H1N1 MIST. I don't even know if there are any shots he is getting at his 5 yr old checkup and whether I should try to get the MIST beforehand or wait until after?

JBaxter
11-02-2009, 01:17 PM
The MMR Chickenpox IPV and DTap are given between 4 and 6 so If your child did not get them at teh 4 yr appt they will get them at the 5yr. MMR and Chicken pox are live viruses so you can NOT get the flu mist at that appt. I believe its 30 days from what the paperwork that came home from Nathans school ( they did the flu mist at school)

HIU8
11-02-2009, 01:21 PM
We just got the flu MIST (first one ) on Saturday. According to the nurses paperwork, we have to wait until at least Nov. 28th to get the second one. I'm calling DS's ped after lunch to find out what, if anything, he gets as vax at age 5 (I cannot remember what he got at age 4).

egoldber
11-02-2009, 01:42 PM
It depends on your ped. Some peds do more at 4 and less at 5 or vice versa.

HIU8
11-02-2009, 01:50 PM
I have to wait until they open at 1:30 or I will get the answering service. I'm going to leave a message for a nurse to call me back and ask her to check DS's records and tell me what he is getting in December and ask how to time the next H1N1 MIST (and this time hopefully it will be done through the ped rather than in DC standing in the misty rain at 7 am waiting for their DOH clinic to open). I was at Coolidge HS. My dad went there. It doesn't look like much had changed other than a new gynasium and metal detectors.

Corie
11-02-2009, 03:51 PM
My son just had his 5 year well-check. He didn't get any shots.

He did get dose #1 of the H1N1 mist.

Pennylane
11-02-2009, 03:53 PM
It depends on if your dc has already had the shots required to enter school next year. My dc had 3 at their 4 year checkup and are done for awhile.

Ann

mom2binsd
11-03-2009, 01:03 AM
My son just had his 5 year well-check. He didn't get any shots.

He did get dose #1 of the H1N1 mist.

Sorry getting OT, but I thought the H1N1 mist only required one dose (is it different for adult and children?)

egoldber
11-03-2009, 07:42 AM
but I thought the H1N1 mist only required one dose (is it different for adult and children?)

The CDC recommends 2 doses for children under 10.

Corie
11-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Sorry getting OT, but I thought the H1N1 mist only required one dose (is it different for adult and children?)

Children through the age of 9 require 2 doses of the mist.

willow33
11-03-2009, 08:40 AM
My boys get shots at their 5 year appt, but I ask to split their 4 year old shots into two years. They only need them before kindergarten so it works for us.

HIU8
11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Turns out DS is supposed to get one shot that he cannot get if he gets the H1N1 MIST. The nurse said first that the shot can be delayed, so not to worry b/c I can just bring him back for the shot. Then she informed me that they probably won't get any MIST vax for H1N1. Their first shipment was shot only. When I told her that I took my kids to a clinic in DC to get it she seemed annoyed--TO BAD. The peds office ran out of vax (both seasonal flu and H1N1). I cannot count on them to have what we need when we need it, so I took it upon myself--knowing I will have to do a clinic again for the second dose for DS and DD.