PDA

View Full Version : Another H1N1 question...

jgenie
11-02-2009, 03:41 PM
We went to DS' ped this morning. They received vax, but couldn't tell me if it was preservative free over the phone. Since DS hasn't received the seasonal flu vax, I decided to go in and find out what they had. They only had vax w/ preservative. The nurse kept telling me it was safe and that the CDC had changed their recs and now children under 2 can get it w/ preservatives. The doctor was much more laid back about the whole thing and told me to call back in two weeks to find out if they received any preservative free vax. I asked how widespread it was in our area and she said they have 2 suspected cases both in older kids. I need to sit down and talk to DH about it tonight, but was wondering if others are getting the vax w/ preservative for your DC that are under 2? TIA

wencit
11-02-2009, 05:46 PM
I asked my doctor this very question when I went in on Friday (for something unrelated to H1N1). It's a quite personal decision for each family, and you have to weigh the risks vs the benefits and make a decision based on what you feel is best for YOU. However, for what it's worth, he did say that if it came down to a choice between a vax with thimerosal and waiting until we can get a mercury-free vax, he would choose to wait. He made this recommendation for DS1, as well as for DH and myself.

We're going to the county immunization clinic on Saturday (assuming everyone stays healthy, knock heavily on wood!), where they supposedly have mercury-free vaxes, according to the rep on the phone. I'm not sure what we'll do if the rep happens to be wrong, but right now I'm inclined to pass.

dogmom
11-02-2009, 05:46 PM
My understanding is that any multi-dose vial will have preservatives, while single dose vials of injections do not. That is because the risk of multiple accesses to a larger vial will cause an infection is much larger without preservatives.

jgenie
11-18-2009, 11:28 PM
I called my ped's office today to ask if they received any preservative free shots. The receptionist asked DS' age and then put me on hold. She came back to the phone and told me they don't have preservative free shots for DS. I just spoke with a girlfriend that was in the office today for her DD's 6 month check up and she said they offered her the preservative free shot but she turned it down because her DD was already getting 5 shots. I knew when I got off the phone earlier today that the office had received preservative free shots. So should I schedule an appointment and try to convince them to give us a preservative free shot? For whom are the preservative free shots supposed to be if not for children under 2? Thoughts?? TIA

ett
11-18-2009, 11:34 PM
For whom are the preservative free shots supposed to be if not for children under 2? Thoughts?? TIA

Maybe they're for immuno-compromised children. A couple of years ago, I couldn't get the thimerisol free flu shots for DS1 because the office had limited shots and they were reserved for immuno-compromised patients.

BabyMine
11-18-2009, 11:41 PM
I had both of my DC get the 1st of the vax on Monday and it was not the preservative one. We will just lay off fish for a week. M has asthma and I would rather have him have the shot then get the virus. Since this is the only shot that has preservatives in it I am fine. My Ped always gives the preservative free shots but becasue our area is stretched thin for this vax she felt fine giving this one. Out of her whole practice only 4 families were able to get the vax from her and we were one of the lucky ones. It is a very personal decision but I was comfortable making mine.