PDA

View Full Version : Is it tacky to give cash?

Snow mom
11-02-2009, 04:54 PM
...as a thank you to DCP? We just got the call that DD will be moving from the infant room to the 12-18 mo room. She's been going to daycare for about 6 months and I'd like to get a thank you for the teachers is the baby room when she transitions (esp. since Christmas bonuses will come after she transitions.) I know many people buy gift cards but I hate to put some constraint on where they can spend the $ or what they can spend it on. Would it be tacky to just give cash? Any advantages to giving a gc over cash that I'm not thinking of? I was thinking of $20 per teacher (2 teachers) plus a small gift for the classroom. Does this sound appropriate?

Melaine
11-02-2009, 04:56 PM
You could always do a Visa gift card if you don't want to just hand over cash. Personally, I think the cash is great!

SnuggleBuggles
11-02-2009, 04:57 PM
What about a Visa gift card instead so she can shop at most any place?

Last year we gave out gc's to the large grocery store chain in the city because there you could use your gc to buy gcs to just about any chain restaurant or large national retail store. We figured it gave them the flexibility to get what they wanted or needed.

I probably wouldn't give cash but I can't give a good reason for why I feel that way.

You might want to check with the DCP to see if there are any rules about gifts. At ds1's kindergarten the teachers made it clear that they didn't want gifts and preferred things like charitable donations in their name to either the school or a charity.

Beth

Snow mom
11-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Checking with the director is a good suggestion. I doubt that there is a policy but I know they collect money from the parents for holiday bonuses rather than having parents give the money directly to the teachers so maybe I'm wrong. I guess what I keep coming back to is neither gift cards nor cash are really "the thought that counts" gifts, and personally I'd rather have cash than a gift card or even a prepaid visa. I know I always find it a bit funny though when I get a birthday card from DH's grandma with a check for $10 in it. I'm trying to put this into perspective for myself in giving something to the daycare teachers. I don't know enough about their personal likes and dislikes to choose a really great personal gift and I'd like to do something for them rather than just giving them more stuff for their job (although I know they appreciate parents bringing in things for the room too.) They work really hard and have been great with DD and I know they don't get much for their effort. If anyone has other suggestions for thank yous I'd love to hear them. My mom is an elementary school teacher so I'm pretty opposed to teacher go-to gifts like lotion, bath stuff, candles, candy, etc.

bigsis
11-02-2009, 07:34 PM
I've given cash before and all I got were *endless* thank yous. I'd prefer to give cash instead of gc b/c I would hate the thought of the gc not being used. Lots of companies are getting rich over unused gc's.

clc053103
11-02-2009, 08:03 PM
I polled DCP's before and they love cash. I avoid Visa gift cards because I HATE getting them. IF the card is for $20, I can only use it for items under $20, as it will get decined for anything above, and then I'm left with wallet full of cards with like $2 on them. Not to mention, you pay a fee to get them.

wellyes
11-02-2009, 08:08 PM
I avoid Visa gift cards because I HATE getting them. IF the card is for $20, I can only use it for items under $20, as it will get decined for anything above, and then I'm left with wallet full of cards with like $2 on them. Not to mention, you pay a fee to get them.

I haven't had a visa gift card, but I've had a few people give me the american express version, and it's a PITA. If you're going to give cash, I say just give cash.