PDA

View Full Version : Families who have snowy winters - storing sandbox?

Glizmo
11-02-2009, 05:24 PM
DD has one of those plastic ladybug sandboxes. We're in SE MI and will probably have a cold winter - will the plastic crack if we leave it outside all winter? Or should we empty it out and store it in the garage?

TIA! :)

wendibird22
11-02-2009, 09:25 PM
We live in W.NY and plan to leave our turtle sandbox out all winter.

mikeys_mom
11-02-2009, 09:42 PM
We don't have a sandbox, but lots of snow here :).

We have a lot of Little Tykes and Step 2 plastic play equipment. We leave them out all winter and nothing has ever cracked. They do get pretty dirty when the snow thaws but I just spend an afternoon wiping them down with warm soapy water in the spring and that takes care of most of the dirt.

AshleyAnn
11-02-2009, 10:17 PM
I grew up in MI and we left all our plastic play stuff outside (We had a small village of the houses) and it didn't crack. It will be more brittle so don't let anyone attempt to walk/stand on it but the weight of the snow itself shouldn't affect it since it will slowly bend as the snowfalls on it.

KathyN115
11-02-2009, 10:22 PM
We leave our Little Tykes turtle sandbox outside all winter. No problems yet! And I actually picked it up (out of the trash) in the middle of the winter. I wouldn't worry about it at all!

willow33
11-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Agree...we live in New England and leave our sandbox out all year and have never had any issues.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-03-2009, 03:06 AM
People here leave their sandboxes out... And it snows, and it is below freezing a good portion of the year at night.

Glizmo
11-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm new to outdoor play toys, it's great to know I can just leave it out! :)