PDA

View Full Version : S/O from e. coli thread: did y'all see the e. coli article in the NY Times?

TonFirst
11-02-2009, 07:27 PM
This ran a couple of Sunday's ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/health/04meat.html

FASCINATING. And also, horrifying.

Plus, it validates all my Costco love. Did you know that Tyson Foods won't sell ground beed to Costco because their testing is *too stringent*? Yeah, nice.

MamaKath
11-02-2009, 07:28 PM
TPlus, it validates all my Costco love. Did you know that Tyson Foods won't sell ground beed to Costco because their testing is *too stringent*? Yeah, nice.
That is creepy!!! I know what you mean about Costco love!!!

AnnieW625
11-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Didn't have time to read the full article, but yes I too have Costco love when it comes to ground beef. However the comment about Tyson really makes me think twice about buying their products, even chicken ones. Why oh why doesn't Foster Farms (a CA chicken farming outfit 4 or so hrs. north of me) make chicken nuggest for Costco?!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Before I was a Veg. I stopped eating Tyson. Tyson is the epitome of what is wrong with food standards in the US. The are also REALLY abusive to chickens. There is a website TorturedbyTyson dedicated to Tyson hating. Mind you it is Peta, which I think sometimes is TOO extreme.

Melaine
11-02-2009, 08:39 PM
*GAG* That picture on the second page.

caleymama
11-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Yes! I read it and then had DH read it a couple of weeks ago. Awful! I can't say I didn't already know most of it in general but to read about it in such detail. . .
Makes me :heartbeat: the eggs from our 5 chickens (and eventually the chicken from our chickens!) and the venison & turkey DH hunts even more.

I read another semi-related NY Times piece last week, Slaughterhouse Live (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/25/fashion/25meat.html?ref=dining). (ETA: link shows graphic butchering pics)

DrSally
11-02-2009, 11:22 PM
I love Costco for hamburger too. I cannot believe what goes into making a frozen hamburger that's supposedly "angus beef".

ETA: I don't like Tyson for chicken either. Their product seems way over processed and makes me wonder about the quality of chickens they use and how they're treated (esp. the "pressed" nuggets).

HannaAddict
11-03-2009, 01:50 AM
That is the article that ran in our local paper a couple of weeks ago that I referenced in the original post about e-coli. Pretty awful, and we haven't bought ground beef, grassfed or otherwise, since! Love Costco though!

graciebellesmomma
11-03-2009, 02:39 AM
Wow. and YUCK!

I'm back off the beef. Not that I eat much of it, but
ewwwwwwwwwwww. I can't believe some of the stuff
that I just read.

KathyN115
11-03-2009, 08:31 AM
yuck, yuck, yuck!!!!

A few years ago I read a book about what happens in the slaughterhouse, what is actually in the ground meat, etc. It took me a long time to start eating hamburger again. Now I wish that I didn't! I am glad that DD refuses to eat it.

Back to grinding up roasts/steaks in the food processor.