PDA

View Full Version : If you moved a washer/dryer (w/professional movers)

LarsMal
11-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Did they hook it up in your new home?

I had to turn the water off when we moved, and then they unhooked everything. I am still waiting to get control of the moving arrangements (after it goes through the channels at DH's work) so I haven't been able to ask.

If not, did you do it yourself or call someone (we bought them from Sears) to come and do it?

Thanks!

o_mom
11-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Our movers unhooked them, but didn't reconnect. I don't blame them as the liability would be pretty huge. We did it ourselves - connect the water, plug it in for the washer. Connect the dryer vent, plug in for the dryer. If you have a gas dryer it might be more complex (don't know, haven't ever had one).

rlu
11-02-2009, 08:01 PM
When we were relocated from CA to TX by my company, the company-hired movers had a third party come in and hook up the washer/dryer. He screwed up and the house flooded. Nice.

We were reimbursed for the flood cleanup by the moving company which I presume went after the third party for their recomp.

This was 6 years ago now, can't remember exactly what happened to cause the flood. I think it was that the hose was damaged or the wrong size for the connection in the new house. The water dripped into the washer and then overflowed.

This is why we will never have the washing machine inside the house again. It belongs in the garage. We don't have "mud rooms" where I live, but I could see if a mud room was built with a drain in the slanted floor that would be acceptable.

wellyes
11-02-2009, 08:10 PM
No way.

We actually had to hire a plumber to get our gas dryer re-hooked-up but I think that was due to the town we live in where permits are heavily enforced.

SnuggleBuggles
11-02-2009, 09:24 PM
They hooked it up for us.

Beth

alexsmommy
11-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Nope. We had a hired a handyman to do a bunch of work on the house and we asked him if he could. Evidently it's not difficult because he just chuckled and refused to charge us. He stared up both to show us it was done correctly. No problems at all.