PDA

View Full Version : Presents for 5 yo boy???

niccig
11-02-2009, 08:24 PM
DS is 5 on Christmas Day, so everyone is asking me for birhtday AND Christmas presents.

He has so many cars and trucks, that I will scream if he gets another one.

He is interested in science and nature, so a few presents along those lines would go over well.

Any building/errector/manipulatives type toys?

What board games do your 5 yo enjoy?

So far DH and I have a lego set for him, some transformers, I'm getting him a Fireman Sam DVD, and some magnatiles. We don't have a big WOW present...last year he got his bike. And he doesn't need any big items that I can think of.

I'm at a loss...

Tondi G
11-02-2009, 08:30 PM
shake and go extreme raceway

Hotwheels tracks

rocky the robot truck

Remote control vehicles

Imaginext ... space shuttle, batcave, castle

magnext icoaster

does he like Bakugan? they have a set now that connects 7 individual parts to make one figure

How about one of those build a rocket kits (uses baking soda to blast off I think) or a build a volcano set

there is a build your own soda can robot kit too

Kluts kits are pretty cool

http://www.klutz.com/book/Lego-Crazy-Action-Contraptions

http://www.klutz.com/Invasion-of-the-Bristlebots

http://www.klutz.com/The-Klutz-Book-of-Paper-Airplanes

http://www.klutz.com/science/kids/Explorabook

oh board games.... my 4.5 year old enjoys Monopoly Jr, Uno, Sorry, Trouble

firsttimemama
11-02-2009, 08:38 PM
I just gave stomp rocket jr to a 3 yr old boy & it was the hit of the party.. would a five yr old like that or the older version of stomp rocket?

brittone2
11-02-2009, 09:06 PM
DS is 5.5 and plays the most with:

-Lego (and other building toys. Still likes magnatiles)
-Playmobil (getting some more for Christmas)
-vehicles (I feel your pain LOL). Could you add on to this in some way without buying more cars? Last year I got DS a little Playmobil gas station that he uses with his matchbox and other cars. It was fairly inexpensive. PM does make a "car repair and tuning shop" that DS has enjoyed (can take wheels of the car it comes w/ off/on, has a little jack, etc.).
-Science stuff. He likes the Eyewonder and Eyewitness books from DK. He likes science experiment stuff. Snapcircuits (and the snap circuit rover) have been enjoyed around here. For his upcoming bday I'm considering this model (working) engine for him since he loves cars and loves science :)
http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Motor-Works+Engine/013413/1257210098-578277

He's had fun raising butterflies, etc. from the Insect Lore kits in the past but they only ship during certain parts of the year (now may not be ideal...I can't remember when they do/don't ship)

Stuff for outdoors is big here. He likes the stomp rockets my parents keep at their house. He still likes stuff like his rake and other garden tools. Scooter and bike

Books on CD (DS likes Greathall but has really enjoyed things like The Mouse and the Motorcycle series on CD, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc.)

We had a matchbox race track but I haven't liked the quality too much (I think it varies set to set). He's getting a Darda track I found 2nd hand as part of his Christmas gifts.

Marble maze?

Games? Blokus? Set? Quick Chess? Games from Ravensburger, Haba, Blue Orange, or Gamewright?

eta: DS just saved up a lot of gift and allowance money for a digital camera.

Momof3Labs
11-02-2009, 09:22 PM
snaptricity / snap circuits

how about one of those matchbox folding playsets for matchbox sized cars? my boys love playing with those! or a road rug? ikea has a decent one for a modest price.

deannanb
11-02-2009, 10:10 PM
DS got some Steve Spangler science tubes for his birthday
http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/

legos
Keva Planks
wiki sticks

DS loves his digital camera

KrisM
11-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Snap circuits
Sticky mosaics
marble runs
Monopoly, Jr.
Checkers
Connect 4
Matchbox Mega Rigs

niccig
11-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks everyone. Such great suggestions. MIL has been bugging me, so I needed to pass some ideas on. He has so many toys, and he still plays with things he got when he was ONE year old, so it's kind of difficult to look at the array of toys and think what else he needs. I should put some of those older toys away, but he plays with them in different ways. His push/ride on toy from his 1st birthday becomes a semi trailer when we tie the washing basked on the back for him to pull around.

Would a 5 yo still like Magnatiles? He loves magnets and I really wanted them for a present last year, but no one gave them to him. So I'm getting them this year.

willow33
11-02-2009, 10:57 PM
My almost 7 year old plays with his magnatiles daily :) A great gift!

sariana
11-03-2009, 02:52 AM
Do you have a children's museum or science center nearby? We live near the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana, and my son loves to go there. I would love for someone to give him an annual membership some year. I usually buy one myself. Maybe it's not as much fun to open, but it lasts all year!

vonfirmath
11-03-2009, 11:04 AM
If he has so many toys, etc. I'd look into the membership thing. You don't have to store it, but it allows you to get out of the house and go do something fun. You just have to DO it. We have a children's museum membership this year that has been worth its cost in GOLD.

Veronica's Mommy
11-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Most people I know shop for gifts in the store one week prior to the birthday/ holiday or later. However. If you have friends & family who are willing to go non-traditional (and if they're asking already, then it's a good sign) then you are lucky. I would totally ask for a kids museum or zoo membership. That would be my dream gift for DD (well, that and an offer to babysit DS so I could take her). Or certificate for gymnastics/ swim lessons/ summer camp thru rec center, etc. Those are major "WOW" gifts IMO! :)
Or, ok, how about a camera?

egoldber
11-03-2009, 12:38 PM
At that age he might enjoy some of the ThinFun games like Rush Hour Jr. and River Crossing Jr.

hillview
11-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Magnatiles would be a hit I think. Our neighbors who are 5 and 7 LOVE them. Also what about playmobile set?
/hillary

connor_mommy
11-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Legos and more Legos, especially if he starts to get really interested in it!