PDA

View Full Version : Would you do this in a xmas card

hillview
11-02-2009, 09:45 PM
We like to have a sense of humor for holiday cards. We are not very religious. I did a card proof with a cute family (funny halloween pic) pic on the front and 4 pics of the kids inside. One is of DS #1 with his bum exposed (he is peeing on this LOVELY beach). You can't see his front and it is from a distance. I find it HILARIOUS ... would you? The other 3 pics are of DS #1 on a beach chair looking like he owns the world. DS #2 close up being cute and DS #2 asleep in a heap looking silly.

Would this be ok? We don't have a list of folks who would in general be offended. Last year was a pic of DS #1 with a carrot up his nose (don't ask). Year before that was DS with a bottle of wine at a restaurant. Really we like to have fun. Is rear nakedness ok? I feel like it SHOULD be :)
/hillary

deannanb
11-02-2009, 09:51 PM
i would totally find that funny and continue to talk about your family for the rest of the year - remember the holiday card we got from so-and-so with their kid peeing on the front?

... but then you get in to the sticky situation and would the photo printing company consider that to be something to "report"

blisstwins
11-02-2009, 09:55 PM
It depends on your friends. I am religious (not overly, but I like to keep the holidays spirtual) and I would be offended/would not be amused. But if I knew you and it was your things I would probably giggle. It totally depends on the relationship and on your crowd. BTW, the carrot up the nose would not offend me. Just the heiny and peeing....

AshleyAnn
11-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm also not religous and would not consider 'offensive' but I do find peeing on the beach distasteful enough I wouldn't allow/photograph/send it myself but it seems like these are the usual pics for your family so I wouldn't be surprised when it arrived in my mailbox if I were a recipient.

Ask yourself - is your son going to care in 20 years you sent that photo? (You know he will in 10) I'd be MORTIFIED if I found out my mother had sent photographs of like to everyone on the Christmas card list. Sure 90% of your list will forget and most know its a toddler thing but still its embarassing and thats enough to stop me.

misshollygolightly
11-02-2009, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't be offended, but I would probably be like, "umm...why did they send me this?" And I do think it is worth thinking about two points other posters raised: will it pass muster with the photo printing folks, and might DS at some point in his life find it embarrassing/hard to live down? I think it could be hard to be "that kid" in all future conversations with folks on your card list.

Sounds like a hilarious and cute picture...but one I'd probably keep within close family/friends/privacy of our own home. Sure, haul it out to tease DS when he brings a serious girlfriend home or whatever in twenty years...but I probably wouldn't mass-distribute it in a seasonal greeting card. Just my 2 cents.

TwinFoxes
11-02-2009, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't be offended, but I wouldn't find it hilarious. I think it's the type of thing where it's a lot funnier if it's your own kid. It's like those Saturday Night Live skits where you know why in theory it's funny, but it's just not funny to the audience. Does that make sense? But I honestly wouldn't be offended, and would just skip past it to read the note. I consider myself religious. :)

ETA: I think I didn't answer your question...no I wouldn't do it. ;)

KpbS
11-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I am religious but wouldn't be offended on those terms per say b/c a lot of people use Christmas cards to simply stay in touch with friends and family. The nakedness wouldn't bother me but the peeing would. IMO it crosses the line from cute to crass.

fauve01
11-02-2009, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't like a card lke that.

fortato
11-02-2009, 11:52 PM
I would love it and display it proudly on my door. (Where all my pictures from last year are still hanging). My favorite picture cards are the ones that are unposed. My friend sent a picture of her boys peeking out of the handle holes in a cardboard box, and the caption was "Set of 2 Navarro Boys delivered to your door! Free Shipping! Act now!"
Loved it.

If people know your sense of humor, then go for it!!! Then send a different card to the people with no sense of humor.

inmypjs
11-03-2009, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't be offended if I received it, but honestly I probably wouldn't do it. I think you can still be funny and cute without doing the naked and/or peeing thing.

traciann
11-03-2009, 12:23 AM
I would not send a picture like that, nor would I think its funny if someone sent it to me. I think it would also be embarrassing to the child later down the road.

happymom
11-03-2009, 12:29 AM
My friend sent a picture of her boys peeking out of the handle holes in a cardboard box, and the caption was "Set of 2 Navarro Boys delivered to your door! Free Shipping! Act now!"
Loved it.

OK, That is just hilarious! :ROTFLMAO:

About the naked bum, I personally would totally crack up.

MamaMolly
11-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Hmmmm. Ok, I'll just say it. You like to send funny cards. But you've never come here before to ask if our collective thoughts on any of your choices before. I think that says a lot about how *you* feel.

When in doubt, leave it out.

klwa
11-03-2009, 07:53 AM
I wouldn't be offended, but I wouldn't really like it. More because of the thought that those boys would find it sometime when they get older.

Melaine
11-03-2009, 08:51 AM
I also wouldn't do it, but I would also be concerned after that DSS fiasco with the bath pictures that we talked about a month or so ago (you guys know what I am talking about, right?).

hillview
11-03-2009, 09:00 AM
I also wouldn't do it, but I would also be concerned after that DSS fiasco with the bath pictures that we talked about a month or so ago (you guys know what I am talking about, right?).

I do actually that is my concern. FWIW, you can't tell he is peeing. He looks like he is mooning the camera. Thanks to everyone for their feedback!
/hillary

karenj2
11-03-2009, 10:05 AM
If I knew you and knew that was your humor, I probably wouldn't be offended. However, I don't necessarily find it appropriate for a holiday card, and I certainly wouldn't display that card like I do the rest of my cards...

mamicka
11-03-2009, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't be offended that his bum is showing - I'd think that was cute. However. I think all of your other examples of holiday cards are much more funny. This one, not so much, for all the reasons given. I think it's in a different category.

I am 'religious' so maybe that's why I feel this way.