PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Remember to go to the polls!

Ceepa
11-03-2009, 09:32 AM
In some areas schools are closed, too.

Yours?

egoldber
11-03-2009, 09:33 AM
School were closed here yesterday and today. They use the schools to vote and it coincides with the end of the grading period/parent teacher conferences/teacher workdays.

R2sweetboys
11-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Schools aren't closed here. Definitely heading out to vote, this is a big election day here. There is a referendum on the ballot to overturn the legislature's decision(made this past spring) to allow homosexual marriage in Maine.:irked: I will be so disappointed if this happens. Voting for marriage equality today!

kayte
11-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Schools aren't closed here. Definitely heading out to vote, this is a big election day here. There is a referendum on the ballot to overturn the legislature's decision(made this past spring) to allow homosexual marriage in Maine.:irked: I will be so disappointed if this happens. Voting for marriage equality today!

You go girl! :cheerleader1: :cheerleader1:

From someone lives in a state that will never see it happen here!!!

Not much on our ballot here today... a few referendums on very random issues---like public funding to upkeep areas around military installations.

But I still printed a sample ballot, showed it to DD and we will be heading there after breakfast.

mommylamb
11-03-2009, 10:34 AM

:bighand: I hope there are lots of people like you in Maine!

I'm in Virginia and we have one of the 2 governors races. I voted this morning... not that it matters much as the candidate for governor I voted for will almost certainly lose. And, if I weren't a sucker for the democratic process, I would have sat this one out. I was very underwhelmed with my options, to put it mildly.

vonfirmath
11-03-2009, 10:54 AM
There are some very important constitutional amendments here in Texas today. But maybe its best not to vote if you don't understand what you are voting for (or against)

kayte
11-03-2009, 11:06 AM
There are some very important constitutional amendments here in Texas today. But maybe its best not to vote if you don't understand what you are voting for (or against)

I have read all 11 props on our ballot today, several times and went to two meetings to listen to discussions of pros and cons. I consider myself a very educated voter. With the marginal exception of props 4 and 8 (factored with their ability to pass or not pass), I don't find anything particularly compelling.

LarsMal
11-03-2009, 11:09 AM
:bighand: I hope there are lots of people like you in Maine!

I'm in Virginia and we have one of the 2 governors races. I voted this morning... not that it matters much as the candidate for governor I voted for will almost certainly lose. And, if I weren't a sucker for the democratic process, I would have sat this one out. I was very underwhelmed with my options, to put it mildly.

This is the first time I've sat an election out. I requested a new voter card when we moved, but never got it. I'm bummed that I'm not taking part in the process, but honestly, I'm not comfortable with either of our candidates for governor here in VA. I will be so happy when the ads stop running!!

tylersmama
11-03-2009, 11:21 AM
I totally forgot today was election day until I read something in the paper yesterday. I had to dig around to find my mail-in ballot, which I will have to drop off at the elections board today now, almost completely defeating the purpose of mail-in ballots. :rolleyes

Our ballot was ridiculously thin. One referendum, one unopposed city council race, and one school board race. I almost considered not even bothering, since the elections board is WAY out of my way, but my sense of civic responsibility won't let me not vote...

kijip
11-03-2009, 11:57 AM
It's all mail in here now. No polls.

Dropping off my ballot today at a drop box.

We have a couple of whack ballot measures and 2 hot local races- one for mayor and one for county executive.

If you live in WA and support equality for all, vote yes on R-71, not quite as good as full and equitable marriage rights will be but is way better than the voters rejecting the most recent domestic partnership law. And all of the conservative $$$ that has POURED in to stop this domestic partnership from out of state disproves the oft repeated notion that it's just the term marriage people are opposed to. No, it's apparently just people existing and wanting to live together with a semblance of the same rights and protections for their children. A vote to repeal the law is a vote against my nieces and their dads.

GaPeach_in_Ca
11-03-2009, 01:09 PM
No election here today. Seems strange with all the voting excitement elsewhere.

AnnieW625
11-03-2009, 01:11 PM
schools aren't closed here, but I am definitely going out and voting no on a school bond issue (one was just passed last year).

rlu
11-03-2009, 01:21 PM
No election here today. Seems strange with all the voting excitement elsewhere.

Ditto, but a nearby city has one or two items on the ballot.

mommylamb
11-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I will be so happy when the ads stop running!!

Oh, absolutely! These ads are the pits. I hate political ads in general, but this year they've been particularly awful.

maestramommy
11-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Am I living under a rock? I had no idea there were elections today. We never got anything in the mail, and I haven't heard ANY noise from my moms group.

JElaineB
11-03-2009, 01:46 PM
We only have city elections here today and since I live outside of city limits there is nothing for me to vote on today.

mommylamb
11-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Am I living under a rock? I had no idea there were elections today. We never got anything in the mail, and I haven't heard ANY noise from my moms group.

The only really big elections are the VA and NJ governors races, NYC mayoral race (if that's even a "big" election at this point) and that race for the House seat in NY state.