PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Asked to take an extra friend of a friend to the movies

g-mama
11-03-2009, 09:55 AM
My kids are off school today. I'm taking them to the cheap movies to see Shorts and I called last night and invited my oldest ds' friend (who is 8) to come along with us. His parents work and he stays home w/ a nanny who doesn't drive so I try to do that sometimes.

So this morning, the mom calls me and tells me that another boy (7) is staying w/ their nanny today because his mother is in the hospital and asked if I could take that boy along, too, so he's not left behind. FWIW, the family also has two younger girls (7 and 5) so he would not be there alone.

I was shocked and said yes, but now I'm wondering what was I thinking? Me taking 5 boys by myself to the movies when my 3yo is not reliably good/entertained at a movie theater? And I don't even know how this boy will be. He could be wild and out of control.

Dh said to call back and say that if he were there, it would be do-able, but that it's just too much and maybe another time.

egoldber
11-03-2009, 09:59 AM
I would call back and say you realized it will be too much for just you. I don't think that was appropriate for her to ask.

Melaine
11-03-2009, 10:02 AM
I would cancel just because I don't feel comfortable being the responsible adult for a child whose parents I do not know. It bothers me that they would be comfortable with it too.

billysmommy
11-03-2009, 10:03 AM
I would call back and say you realized it will be too much for just you. I don't think that was appropriate for her to ask.

:yeahthat:
If you knew the other child it may be a different story but 5 kids in a movie with one adult can be tough.

g-mama
11-03-2009, 10:13 AM
I would cancel just because I don't feel comfortable being the responsible adult for a child whose parents I do not know. It bothers me that they would be comfortable with it too.

Yes! Really! I have no idea who this boy is. DS' friend's mom is the same mom who one time dropped her son (whom I really, really like) off for a playdate and his younger sister ran in and said, "I just want to check out their house" and ran through the house like a wild woman. The mom then said, "Can she just stay and play, too?" HUH??? The girl was a maniac and out of control. Walking on top of my kitchen counters, opening every cabinet, eating Valentines Day candy from the counter without asking, opening a juice box after I said not to, asking dh if they could eat lunch here...and then the mom was 45 minutes late picking them up.

alien_host
11-03-2009, 10:13 AM
I agree that it's OK to back out in this situation. Just explain it really is too much for you to manage the extra child. They really should understand.

KpbS
11-03-2009, 10:19 AM
I might just give your guys a rain check for the theater and offer to let them rent and watch a movie at home w/ the friend and his friend. That way if things are out of hand you can just bring the two extra guys home and not have to worry at all about your younger one losing interest.

Ceepa
11-03-2009, 10:30 AM
I might just give your guys a rain check for the theater and offer to let them rent and watch a movie at home w/ the friend and his friend. That way if things are out of hand you can just bring the two extra guys home and not have to worry at all about your younger one losing interest.

I'd set up a movie at my house and maybe do a snack and then take the other two boys home. I'm so weak, but when I hear some kid's mom is in the hospital and he's already being left with someone else's nanny I feel bad. :(

But this is NOT to say OP should feel any kind of obligation. If you're uncomfortable then don't do it. I'm just a weenie sometimes.

stella
11-03-2009, 10:36 AM
I think it was totally appropriate for the mom of invitee #1 to ask you, but you're right - it could be way too much. maybe you could change your outing to the park?

There is not much I wouldn't do for a child whose mom is in the hospital, whether I knew him or not...but the movie probably would be too much! Especially with a 3 year old.

pinkmomagain
11-03-2009, 11:33 AM
If I were the boy's mom I would've declined the invite, rather than ask you to take the 2nd friend along. I would cancel....I know it would be more than I could handle, too.

wellyes
11-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I think it was totally appropriate for the mom of invitee #1 to ask you, but you're right - it could be way too much. maybe you could change your outing to the park?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind that she asked, esp. with the kid's mother in the hospital..... I'm sure she just wants to be as nice to him as she can under the circumstances. But I also think it's fine to back out at this point, don't take on more than you're comfortable with.

Try to have fun ;) even with 4 kids that's a lot of work!

Corie
11-03-2009, 12:44 PM
If I were the boy's mom I would've declined the invite, rather than ask you to take the 2nd friend along.

Me too!!! I would have NEVER asked if my son's friend can come along too!