PDA

View Full Version : thimerosal in H1N1 vaccine & 9 mo. old

drako
11-03-2009, 10:01 AM
I have an appointment set up for DD to get the H1N1 vaccine. Unfortunately our pediatrician does not have the preservative free vaccine. The more reading I do, the more confused I get. She did get the seasonal flu shot without any major reactions and from what I understand most seasonal flu shots have thimerosal. I will have to call ped to find out today. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do since the preservative free isn't available to her?

JBaxter
11-03-2009, 10:54 AM
I would never knowingly give any of my children ( ESP when they were infants) a vaccine containing thimerosol. I would wait.

*** We are a delayed vaccine family so that may make a difference to you

Joolsplus2
11-03-2009, 11:07 AM
I'd get it for my kid, if it were me.

wellyes
11-03-2009, 11:30 AM
That is a REALLY tough call. I don't know what I'd do. Just wanted to offer my support in whatever you decide to do. We can't get any vax here, nothing but the flumist in town (she's too young for it), so I haven't had to make that choice.

I do know that there were two days of clinics scheduled with that same shot here, and both days' appointments filled in a few hours. Many people are choosing the vax as the lesser of two evils.

arivecchi
11-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Many people are choosing the vax as the lesser of two evils. :yeahthat: I gave it to my 9 month old and he had no reactions to it. I viewed it as a one-time thing as his normal flu vax did not have it. I made that decision because my ped is only getting the flu mist which can only be used for children 2 and up. I had to go to a flu clinic to find the shot.

PAfirsttimemom
11-03-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm struggling with the same decision. My appt. is for my 13-month-old this afternoon. I am concerned for a couple reasons:

The thimerasol, especially since he is due to get his seasonal flu shot booster this Thursday, along with a few other 12-month-visit shots

The exposure to the sick kids in the office

I think I'm leaning toward vaccinating, though, since he is in a high-risk group because of his age. And he did tolerate his first round of the seasonal flu shot fine. But I am still concerned. Interested in hearing what other moms plan to do.

elliput
11-03-2009, 11:42 AM
My DS has had a first round of seasonal flu vaccine. We are waiting on the doctor to get more in for the second round.

My DD who has classic autism, has not received any flu vaccinations yet, but will get them.

Both kids are vax'd on schedule.

lil_acorn
11-03-2009, 01:39 PM
I too struggled with this but ultimately decided to have my DS vaccinated. I figured the other shots he has received so far in his short 2 year life have been thimerosol free, so the exposure is limited. Plus he has asthma so I couldn't risk it.

maestramommy
11-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty pro-vax on schedule, but I would wait. In the meantime take all the usual precautions.

The girls and I have already gotten the seasonal flu vax (thimerisol free), but still waiting on the H1N1. It was supposed to be available at the end of last month. Now they're saying end of this month. Uh huh.

chinook
11-03-2009, 01:43 PM
What brand is it? The one they're using here in Canada is very low in thimerasol (almost as low as the truly thimerasol reduced ones).

mommylamb
11-03-2009, 01:55 PM
I would get it. I'm not convinced that thimerisol is the cause of all evil. As far as I know, there are no difinitive studies that show it is harmful. I eat tuna. I eat swordfish. I will let DS eat them when he's old enough to want to eat that stuff (it's fish sticks or nothing when it comes to fish for him at the moment).

baileygirl
11-03-2009, 02:41 PM
I would lean towards getting it....

ETA: If the thimerosal free version wasn't available anyplace, and I would try to get the booster shot as the thimerosal free version.

arivecchi
11-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Agree with mommylamb, if your kid eats fish they may already be getting some mercury. However, I also agree with the last poster that I will try to get my hands on the thimerosal-free shot for the booster shot if available at that point in time.

brandonsmom
11-11-2009, 03:52 AM
Many people are choosing the vax as the lesser of two evils.

There is no lesser evil than autism and many parents are finding it is not as curable/treatable as they first thought - me included.

firsttimemama
11-11-2009, 10:07 AM
We're not getting the H1N1 shot at all so no I wouldn't give an infant or toddler the thimerisol shot. I recommend reading a good book about vaccines so that you can make the decision that is best for your family.

NancyJ_redo
11-11-2009, 01:35 PM
:yeahthat: I gave it to my 9 month old and he had no reactions to it. I viewed it as a one-time thing as his normal flu vax did not have it. I made that decision because my ped is only getting the flu mist which can only be used for children 2 and up. I had to go to a flu clinic to find the shot.

This is us exactly. And there were a couple of additional considerations that factored into my thinking - DH is in healthcare so he (theoretically) brings home all kinds of germs, and my middle DC has a heart defect so I really wanted to eliminate all chances of any of us catching H1N1. The risk/benefit analysis weighed in favor of all of us getting the vax.

We all got the mist with the exception of my 9 month old, and the only shot available to her was the one with thimerisol so we went with it. I'm hoping to find a booster w/o thimerisol, but may not be successful.

arivecchi
11-11-2009, 04:25 PM
I talked to my ped about this and he was not concerned about my 9 month old getting one vax with a bit of thimerosal in it. I am also not in the camp that believes that vaccines cause autism, but that is a whole other subject and I don't mean to start a debate about that subject here. I do not mean to disrespect the poster whose son has autism or her beliefs - I am just mentioning that to explain my decision. I think your typical child that does not have reactions to vaccines will be ok with one shot with some thimerosal in it. My children have never had any adverse reactions to any shots, so I am ok with it. I am hoping that by the time they need their boosters (December), the thimerosal free one will be widely available. In any event, my nephew has the flu right now (they suspect H1N1) and he is incredibly sick and much older than my 9 month old (he is 21 months old), so I am glad I got the shot for him. My SIL tried to find the shot for her son to no avail and she is mad as hell about it now. We still have not experienced any reactions from the H1N1 shot that they received two weeks ago. JMHO.

drako
11-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to have DD vaccinated for H1N1 with thimerosal. The thim free was not available. DD has not had any reaction and I am glad I vaccinated her. I agree with ariveraz about autism. I am not so sure vaccines cause autism. From what I understand there have not been any studies to show mercury in vaccines cause autism. My ped said there is such a small amount of mercury in the vaccine and it is easily eliminated from the body through a bowel movement. He also said there is more mercury in fish and that form of mercury is harder to eliminate from the body. He also said there have been more cases of autism since vaccines have been thim free than when they contained mercury. Is that because autism is diagnosed more than when I was young...don't know?!?! Anyway, I am glad I did all I could to protect her from H1N1. I too, am hoping for the thimerosal free for her booster.

brandonsmom
11-11-2009, 11:01 PM
I talked to my ped about this and he was not concerned about my 9 month old getting one vax with a bit of thimerosal in it. I am also not in the camp that believes that vaccines cause autism, but that is a whole other subject and I don't mean to start a debate about that subject here. I do not mean to disrespect the poster whose son has autism or her beliefs - I am just mentioning that to explain my decision. I think your typical child that does not have reactions to vaccines will be ok with one shot with some thimerosal in it. My children have never had any adverse reactions to any shots, so I am ok with it. I am hoping that by the time they need their boosters (December), the thimerosal free one will be widely available. In any event, my nephew has the flu right now (they suspect H1N1) and he is incredibly sick and much older than my 9 month old (he is 21 months old), so I am glad I got the shot for him. My SIL tried to find the shot for her son to no avail and she is mad as hell about it now. We still have not experienced any reactions from the H1N1 shot that they received two weeks ago. JMHO.

You didn't disrespect me. I want you to know though, that I am here because of what happened to my children. I have a message and so do thousands of other parents, vaccines hurt my kids and they can hurt yours too. Autism is not something that happens to "other people". Open your eyes, autism affects 1 in 67 boys, who knows what happens to the rest of them - asthma, poor eyesight, hearing loss, ADHD, ADD, ear infections, speech disorders, sensory disorders...none of these should be taken lightly and NONE of them are genetic unless the genes of their parents have already been altered by their environmental exposures. Go to your local elementary school and ask them what percentage of young boys are on medications to help them with attention and behavior, maybe they can't give you the statistics, but trust me the numbers are amazing. Nearly every mom I talk to with a boy my older son's age (11) has a child on medication of some sort.

The evidence is there, but modern media has you blind to it. Why are more and more babies unable to sleep, need Mylicon drops for gas, are intolerant of breastmilk and formula, need baby wipes for sensitive skin, have frequent rashes, ear infections, conjunctivitis, congestion, etc. etc. Our children are experiencing an epidemic of immune system problems and we are told this is NORMAL??

Welcome to the new norm, do you want your child to become a part of it?

arivecchi
11-11-2009, 11:44 PM
I welcome you to the forum and respect your opinion. I have been lucky not to have a child affected by autism, but based on the kids I know, the information I have read and my discussions with my ped, I disagree with the conclusion that vaccines cause autism. They may very well trigger other issues, but I still choose to vaccinate my kids. I am glad we all have the option to choose to do what we are comfortable with.

drako
11-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Vaccines are not new...I received them when I was younger...no ill effects. Why would they now be causing immune system disorders? I think the diseases would be much more of a threat than the vaccine itself. I plan on vacationing out of the country with my DD and husband. Many of these diseases that we are vaccinated for are pretty much not prevalent here anymore. If my child is not vaccinated that would put her at risk of being exposed to diseases out of the country that could kill her. I'm still not understanding why vaccines are now a threat when they have pretty much eliminated life threatening diseases.

JBaxter
11-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Vaccines are not new...I received them when I was younger...no ill effects. Why would they now be causing immune system disorders? I think the diseases would be much more of a threat than the vaccine itself. I plan on vacationing out of the country with my DD and husband. Many of these diseases that we are vaccinated for are pretty much not prevalent here anymore. If my child is not vaccinated that would put her at risk of being exposed to diseases out of the country that could kill her. I'm still not understanding why vaccines are now a threat when they have pretty much eliminated life threatening diseases.

Well thats a whole can of worms :) Do some research and see what you come up with.

arivecchi
11-12-2009, 12:43 PM
http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/autismparentfacts.htm

mommylamb
11-12-2009, 01:26 PM
I agree with ariveraz. Autism is such a terrible thing, but I just don't think that vaccines are the cause. It seems like an awful lot of resources go into studies that show no correlation between Autism and vaccines. And I don't think it's a conspiracy that the government is hiding from us. What is most unfortunate to me is that resources keep going into the same studies with the same conclusions instead of searching for other reasons to explain the rise in Autism. I'm honestly more concerned about environmental toxins than vaccines (not that I'm convinced this is what explains the rise in Autism and other problems), but I'd like to see more research resources dedicated in that direction.

What seems clear to me is that when they took thimerisol out of most vaccines, Autism rates continued to skyrocket. So, of all the vaccine controversies, this is the one I most think is total baloney.

SammyeGail
11-12-2009, 04:33 PM
One of my twins has autism, but I am not getting on the vaccination banwagon. He is a sweet wonderous little boy and I wouldn't change a thing about him. I deeply love and accept both of my sons for who they are.

When we first read up on autism, DH said 'O. M. G. I finally know whats wrong with my mother.' We feel she is on the high end of functioning aspergers. She is extremely intelligent, can retain tons of information, but she has a certain routine, social skill problems and isn't much deeper than small talk. There is alot more to her, but that would be a loooong post.

In our case I believe my son's has to be somewhat heredity. MIL has even said it herself, she thinks she has it.

I cannot go back and decide to spead out his vaccinations, we are not having any more children so I don't have to go thru the ordeal of deciding how to deal with vaccinations with a new baby.

What is done is done. What each mom out there decides is up to her. Having the true effects of autism in you daily life can change your mind quick, but for some moms, if they don't see it they don't understand. I don't have any problem with their opinions. Mine was the same before Jonas was DX'd.

Last year when we were at the pedi they asked me about flu shots, I stumbled for words, torn about my boys health and the perservatives in the flu shots. Our pedi came in and said they didn't have any 'clean' flu shots left then, maybe in 2 weeks, I could call then, he didn't personally recommend the other flu shots, but if I wanted them I could go ahead. He has been a huge help/advocate to us for treatments for Jonas, he was just wording it the best way he could, so I said I would call later. I actually didn't get to and they didn't get flu shots, my mom passed away on their 3rd birthday. DH and I have not gotten flu shots in years. We've never had the flu either.

I just hope everyone does what they think is best for their DC and themselves. I, as a mother to a wonderful child with autism, want to say I respect everyones choice.

SammyeGail
11-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Vaccines are not new...I received them when I was younger...no ill effects.

I don't have a link with me, but the CDC recommends a ton more vaccinations today that they did when we were younger.

firsttimemama
11-12-2009, 04:59 PM
There are many problems with the US vaccine program today beyond "vaccines cause autism". I get really annoyed when I see the "discussion" narrowed down to that one sentence.

Here are some of the reasons we don't vaccinate:
-we've read a lot of books about vaccination and aren't comfortable with the risks
-we don't think the benefits outweigh the risks
-we have an extensive family history of autoimmune disease and don't believe in a "one size fits all" approach to healthcare/vaccinations
-there are people who help to approve vaccinations/put them in the US schedule who at the same time are making $$ from their patents on vaccines
-the safety testing leaves much to be desired
-combination shots/many shots at the same time make it impossible to tell what a child is reacting to in the event of a vaccine reaction
-it makes no sense to vaccinate *all* newborns for HepB so why is the gov't recommending it
-oh, and vaccines may contribute to the rise in autism and other disorders

wellyes
11-12-2009, 05:05 PM
-it makes no sense to vaccinate *all* newborns for HepB so why is the gov't recommending it

My ped's answer to why we innoculate babies against a very adult disease is "we are trying to eradicate liver cancer". I think that goal is truly noble.

brandonsmom
11-13-2009, 09:11 PM
My ped's answer to why we innoculate babies against a very adult disease is "we are trying to eradicate liver cancer". I think that goal is truly noble.

That is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h...

If you have time or the will, I would suggest researching the history of Hepatitis and the Hepatitis vaccines...very interesting stuff and has nothing to do with liver cancer. Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver caused from toxins. "Yellow fever" is one of the toxins that cause "Hepatitis B". A few months ago I was reading into the history of yellow fever and the time frame directly correlates with the experimental use of caustic alkalis used in making soap and baking soda. People used to experiment with this at home and the local pharmacy used to sell BOTH to people not asking what they were using it for. There are old lawsuits over them selling people the wrong kind and getting poisoned. The poisoning looked EXACTLY like yellow fever.

Hepatitis A is from food and water contaminated with feces. The CDC doesn't mention this, instead they deceive, instill fear and make people think that their children are at risk. This is my analogy: you got your Big Mac, McDLT, Quarter Pounder (DTaP, MMR, IPV, etc.),.... you want fries with that? (Hep A)? Seriously though, it's a sales pitch. If you think the CDC or AAP care about your kids, then you are just in dreamland. BTW, the pharmaceutical companies are very much in control of what your Ped. learns in college. I guarantee they never studied the toxicology studies that I have - if they did, they are certainly not mainstream docs.

There is a survey study of pediatricians on the internet and they found that parents were one of the main sources of knowledge for pediatricians on Hep B vaccine and side effects. They concluded that they need to educate them better on the topic.

brandonsmom
11-13-2009, 09:22 PM
There are many problems with the US vaccine program today beyond "vaccines cause autism". I get really annoyed when I see the "discussion" narrowed down to that one sentence.

I get annoyed with that too. If babies die after vaccines (as they do, it's called SIDS), there are LESSER forms of SIDS and these are the severe demyelinating disorders: Guillan Bairre, MS, Autism, Fibromyalgia, Lou Gehrig's Disease, Dystonia....and there are still lesser forms of these: Asperger's, ADHD, ADD, Auditory Processing Disorder, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Bipolar Disorder, sensory processing disorders, etc, etc....and there are insults to specific organ systems: hearing loss, vision loss, diabetes, leukemia, anemia, thrombocytopenia.....

All these have become WAAAY too common and I have references that say ALL can be vaccine related. I do also think that the mom's vaccines affect her kids - there is proof that heavy metals alter genetics. My computer files are on fire with smoking guns!:)

jent
11-13-2009, 10:59 PM
That is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h...

If you have time or the will, I would suggest researching the history of Hepatitis and the Hepatitis vaccines...very interesting stuff and has nothing to do with liver cancer. Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver caused from toxins. "Yellow fever" is one of the toxins that cause "Hepatitis B". A few months ago I was reading into the history of yellow fever and the time frame directly correlates with the experimental use of caustic alkalis used in making soap and baking soda. People used to experiment with this at home and the local pharmacy used to sell BOTH to people not asking what they were using it for. There are old lawsuits over them selling people the wrong kind and getting poisoned. The poisoning looked EXACTLY like yellow fever.

Ummm... where exactly are you doing your research? Because it's not in medical textbooks, that's for sure. The term "hepatitis" is a general term that means liver inflammation. Yes, there are toxins that can cause hepatitis. Hepatitis B, however, is caused by the Hepatitis B virus. This is a different virus than the Yellow Fever virus. In some cases, Hepatitis B infection causes chronic liver disease and may lead to liver cancer. There is no cure.

The Hepatitis B virus can be transmitted from sexual contact or contact with blood products. While one doesn't expect newborn babies to be having sex or sharing needles to shoot up heroin anytime soon, one never knows when your child might be in need of a life-saving blood transfusion. It's just not the kind of thing you plan for: "we plan to have our child hit by a car in about six months, so I'm thinking we should start the Hep B series today." In addition, the main argument for vaccinating at birth is to catch those babies whose moms may be infected with Hep B but either didn't get tested, or got infected during pregnancy. Sometimes moms don't always come clean to their doctors about whether they have participated in risky behaviors before/during pregnancy.

The Yellow Fever virus is a mosquito-borne virus that is common in South American and sub-Saharan Africa. It is not routinely vaccinated against in the US, but if you are traveling to those areas you can be vaccinated.

Hepatitis A is from food and water contaminated with feces. The CDC doesn't mention this, instead they deceive, instill fear and make people think that their children are at risk. This is my analogy: you got your Big Mac, McDLT, Quarter Pounder (DTaP, MMR, IPV, etc.),.... you want fries with that? (Hep A)? Seriously though, it's a sales pitch.

And yes, you are correct, Hepatitis A is transmitted by food and water contaminated by feces. But you shouldn't take that to mean that if you don't eat out of your toilet, you're safe. News flash: people aren't always the best at washing their hands. Have you ever, in your life, gotten a stomach bug that was going around? Guess what? You ingested something that was, microscopically, contaminated with fecal matter.

BTW, the pharmaceutical companies are very much in control of what your Ped. learns in college.

Well, good to know that our pediatricians' medical knowledge, which is generally learned in medical school and residency, is safe.

For those who want more info and don't believe that the CDC is part of some vast government-industry conspiracy:
Info on Hep B: http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/HepatitisB.htm
Info on Yellow Fever: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/yellowfever/index.html
Info on Hep A: http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/HepatitisA.htm

JBaxter
11-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Ok... Lets play nice or the thread will get locked by one of the Mods... We've been doing so well on that lately :duck:

jent
11-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Sorry if I was a little over-the-top in my response. FWIW, I was not responding to the original discussion about flu vaccine and thimerosol, just to the particular post I quoted. I couldn't let medical misinformation stand.

ladysoapmaker
11-13-2009, 11:23 PM
We (the entire family) just got ours H1N1 shots yesterday. Our county was having a clinic. I was resigned to having Luci get the dose with thimersol when they pulled out the single dose. I said something about that and the nurse said "oh, yeah we are using these for the infants and toddlers." And I didn't even have to ask. I was happy. Good luck with your decision.

Jen

Nooknookmom
11-14-2009, 12:45 AM
I would get it. I'm not convinced that thimerisol is the cause of all evil. As far as I know, there are no difinitive studies that show it is harmful. I eat tuna. I eat swordfish. I will let DS eat them when he's old enough to want to eat that stuff (it's fish sticks or nothing when it comes to fish for him at the moment).

When my friend asked her Dr. the "thimerisol" question regarding the flu shot and her 14 year old, he said that if she was VERY concerned, for them to avoid eating tuna that day.

He was kindly joking that the flu shot is NOT going to taint their bodies on a once a year deal.

brandonsmom
11-14-2009, 04:25 AM
Jen, here is information that is not easy to locate:

MacCallum named Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B

"MacCallum was perplexed as to why a sizable proportion of soldiers who received the yellow fever vaccine developed hepatitis a few months later. The yellow fever vaccine contained human serum, and MacCallum was aware of other hepatitis cases reported in the medical literature that followed inoculation with vaccines containing human serum."

http://www.beyonddiscovery.org/content/view.page.asp?I=266

I realize they are saying that it was the serum in the vaccine that contained the Hep B virus, but I am skeptical, I think the combo may have created a new disease. Most of the people who discover the new diseases are pathologists screwing around with vaccines when they suddenly have new cases and are able to name a new disorder "Dawson's Encephalitis" for example.

Did you hear about the superbug ear infection that was caused by the Pneumococcal Conjugate vaccine that is antibiotic resistant? When viruses mutate, they become stronger. They even admitted it in a journal article I have. Here is a more mainstream source:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-09-17-2472804019_x.htm

Vaccines do create new diseases. I have reason to believe that the measles vaccine also mutated to cause SSPE (Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis) and that autism is actually a form of SSPE.

Another smoking gun, how many before the new moms listen?

"The strongest link found in the autistic children was between measles virus antibodies and anti-MBP, suggesting that exposure to the measles virus may trigger an autoimmune response that interferes with the development of myelin, says Singh. If myelin in the brain doesn't develop properly, nerve fibers won't work as they should. This could be one way that the brain abnormalities associated with autism arise."

Source:

University Of Michigan (1998, November 3). Autism May Be Caused By An Immune System Response To A Virus. ScienceDaily. Retrieved May 26, 2008, from http://www.sciencedaily.comĀ¬ /releases/1998/10/981031181106.htm

Snow mom
11-14-2009, 09:26 AM
The Hepatitis B virus can be transmitted from sexual contact or contact with blood products. While one doesn't expect newborn babies to be having sex or sharing needles to shoot up heroin anytime soon...

One reason we vaccinate children against "adult" diseases is you never know when a child might accidentally be exposed. There was an incident here a couple of years ago where a child found a used needle on a playground and was pricking other children with it. They poked 8 or 10 other kids before someone found out and stopped them. All the kids had to have extensive follow up for blood borne disease. I really don't want to get involved in this debate today but just wanted to point out that exposures can come from all types of unexpected places. I suppose you could say it's a small risk that your child will actually catch disease X, but as the proportion of individuals that go unvaccinated goes up, that risk increases for everyone.

JBaxter
11-14-2009, 10:01 AM
One reason we vaccinate children against "adult" diseases is you never know when a child might accidentally be exposed. There was an incident here a couple of years ago where a child found a used needle on a playground and was pricking other children with it. They poked 8 or 10 other kids before someone found out and stopped them. All the kids had to have extensive follow up for blood borne disease. I really don't want to get involved in this debate today but just wanted to point out that exposures can come from all types of unexpected places. I suppose you could say it's a small risk that your child will actually catch disease X, but as the proportion of individuals that go unvaccinated goes up, that risk increases for everyone.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong but in cases where a unvaccinated person is exposed to HepB there is also the choice of Hepatitis Immunoglobulin. I believe its the same thing they give to babies born to HepB infected mothers.

HepB vaccine is one we delay until teenage years

jent
11-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Some one correct me if I'm wrong but in cases where a unvaccinated person is exposed to HepB there is also the choice of Hepatitis Immunoglobulin. I believe its the same thing they give to babies born to HepB infected mothers.

Yes, that is true. Hep B immunoglobulin is a pooled blood product (ie comes from multiple blood donors). Babies born to moms with +Hep B are given both the vaccine and HBIG.

SammyeGail
11-14-2009, 07:24 PM

Here are some of the reasons we don't vaccinate:
-we've read a lot of books about vaccination and aren't comfortable with the risks
-we don't think the benefits outweigh the risks
-we have an extensive family history of autoimmune disease and don't believe in a "one size fits all" approach to healthcare/vaccinations
-there are people who help to approve vaccinations/put them in the US schedule who at the same time are making $$ from their patents on vaccines
-the safety testing leaves much to be desired
-combination shots/many shots at the same time make it impossible to tell what a child is reacting to in the event of a vaccine reaction
-oh, and vaccines may contribute to the rise in autism and other disorders

FirsttimeMama,

I wanted to personally thank you for bring up these other issues with vaccinations. Jonas has autism but Noah has some type of 'condition' that is un DX'd. He shows alot of signs of AD/HD and is severly speech delayed. Our school system worked out for him to go to Jonas' autism school 2 days a week and he loves it. He is very 'high spirited', ;). We have gotten better with his meltdowns, its funny, Jonas has never had a meltdown.

I wanted any and every vaccination, my great neice, born 1 yr 2 months before the boys got the RSV virus when she was around 4-5 months old. I will never forget the ordeal my niece and sister went thru, it was horrible. She has permanent damage from it.

So I do see both sides, because I was on that otherside, before. I haven't gotten any shots for them since 12 months (I took them in at 14 months), they are missing their 3rd Hep-A or B. I am just scared to get it done, but I know I need to. Since I haven't been forced to face it, I just haven't :(.

firsttimemama
11-14-2009, 11:30 PM
So I do see both sides, because I was on that otherside, before. I haven't gotten any shots for them since 12 months (I took them in at 14 months), they are missing their 3rd Hep-A or B. I am just scared to get it done, but I know I need to. Since I haven't been forced to face it, I just haven't :(.

Sending hugs to you ... I have found vaccinations to be one of the most stressful decisions I've had to make as a parent. It's not clear cut - there is so much that is just "not known" or not studied. There are pros and cons that are different for every family, based on your family's medical history, your children's environment (at home/in daycare, etc).

I wish you clarity in your decision making process. One bit of advice I've read several times is that if you're not sure about a vaccine, don't do it. Wait. Delay while you think about it/research it.

I am not anti-vaccine. But I think the vaccine program in the US needs a major, major overhaul.

My son has an extensive family history of autoimmune disease so we opted not to vax. In addition I SAH and my son is still nursing at 23 months.

TonFirst
11-14-2009, 11:36 PM
what is most unfortunate to me is that resources keep going into the same studies with the same conclusions instead of searching for other reasons to explain the rise in autism.

yes yes yes yes yes.

brandonsmom
11-15-2009, 01:50 AM
What is most unfortunate to me is that resources keep going into the same studies with the same conclusions instead of searching for other reasons to explain the rise in Autism.

You mean the genetic studies? How do you think moms who have children with autism and no family history of ANYTHING feel about the zillions of dollars spent "trying to make autism genetic". We're angry. We aren't getting the research we need and our kids aren't getting the help they need.

The things that work are not studied by mainstream universities/organizations, nor are they covered by insurance and parents are finding more and more (as are doctors) that "autism" is a sickness that affects multiple organs and organ systems. We who have insurance are paying out of pocket to help our children.

I found one of their dirty little tricks while researching autism. I research a lot of other conditions too and what made me absolutely crazy one night was to read about how they make lab animals have epilepsy - they inject aluminum hydroxide into them. Then they try their experimental drugs on them to see how they affect the epilepsy.

Prescription drugs are big business. If you think about it, they aren't making many prescription drugs for autism, instead they borrow them from other diseases - why you say? Because they would have to make lab animals autistic and then the truth would come out - people like me are watching WAYY too closely. My guess is that you will never see a lab animal that has been put on the CDC recommended human baby vaccination schedule - EVER.

brandonsmom
11-15-2009, 02:00 AM
yes yes yes yes yes.

We keep asking for a vaccinated/unvaccinated study, but they refuse.

When organizations do studies, they have an interest in finding certain conclusions, especially when millions of American children are involved. You have to pay close attention to "Exclusion Criteria" when evaluating any study.

The vaccine studies you are probably talking about were set up to get certain results. I tell you what though, the moms know the truth and we are not going to shut up, that's why this is not going away. My guess is that changes in the vaccination program will slowly occur over the years (as they already are and have been) and decades from now, people will look back and see very clearly what was going on.

It would be catastrophic for the CDC to make an admission right now, do you think they actually would if there was a problem with the vaccines?

mommylamb
11-16-2009, 03:45 PM
You mean the genetic studies? How do you think moms who have children with autism and no family history of ANYTHING feel about the zillions of dollars spent "trying to make autism genetic". We're angry. We aren't getting the research we need and our kids aren't getting the help they need.

I am sorry you're angry, but please don't be angry with me. I didn't specify genetic vs. any other study, just that I think it's a waste to do the same vaccine studies over and over if they are getting the same results that do not show a causal effect.

There are a lot of people on these boards who have different opinions about vaccines. And, usually people seem to do a good job of "live and let live." I understand that you feel like you're on a mission to save other people's children. But, I disagree with your conclusions, and therefore, the choices you have made are different than the choices I have made. I am not going to write anything here in judgment of your decision though. However, I feel very informed about my decisions, and if you think that I've made the wrong decision, I ask that you keep that thought to yourself as well.

arivecchi
11-16-2009, 04:13 PM
I am sorry you're angry, but please don't be angry with me. I didn't specify genetic vs. any other study, just that I think it's a waste to do the same vaccine studies over and over if they are getting the same results that do not show a causal effect.

There are a lot of people on these boards who have different opinions about vaccines. And, usually people seem to do a good job of "live and let live." I understand that you feel like you're on a mission to save other people's children. But, I disagree with your conclusions, and therefore, the choices you have made are different than the choices I have made. I am not going to write anything here in judgment of your decision though. However, I feel very informed about my decisions, and if you think that I've made the wrong decision, I ask that you keep that thought to yourself as well.:yeahthat:

ett
11-16-2009, 05:02 PM

There are a lot of people on these boards who have different opinions about vaccines. And, usually people seem to do a good job of "live and let live." I understand that you feel like you're on a mission to save other people's children. But, I disagree with your conclusions, and therefore, the choices you have made are different than the choices I have made. I am not going to write anything here in judgment of your decision though. However, I feel very informed about my decisions, and if you think that I've made the wrong decision, I ask that you keep that thought to yourself as well.

:yeahthat: I have been following the discussion on the thread but have pretty much stayed out of it. Vaccines is just one of the many topics that people have very different opinions on (and some feel very strongly about their side.) DS2 is on the spectrum (high functioning) and we believe it is genetic and not caused by vaccines. DH is a scientist and has worked in genetics for a number of years now, so he is knowledgeable in the area. Please don't assume that others who believe their child's autism was genetic are uninformed.

brandonsmom
11-18-2009, 03:15 AM
:yeahthat: I have been following the discussion on the thread but have pretty much stayed out of it. Vaccines is just one of the many topics that people have very different opinions on (and some feel very strongly about their side.) DS2 is on the spectrum (high functioning) and we believe it is genetic and not caused by vaccines. DH is a scientist and has worked in genetics for a number of years now, so he is knowledgeable in the area. Please don't assume that others who believe their child's autism was genetic are uninformed.

I'm stunned your husband believes autism is genetic.

Please tell your DH from me that:

1. There are no genetic epidemics.
2. Autism being genetic sure doesn't fit Darwin's "Natural Selection" theory.
3. Heavy metals and environmental toxins are known to alter genetics.