PDA

View Full Version : S/O--anyone still undecided about who to vote for today?

jenfromnj
11-03-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm in NJ, and there has been a pretty heated race for governor this year, esp with the economy and so many people unemployed who formerly worked in NYC in the financial sector etc. There is actually a third-party candidate who was polling somewhere between 8 and 20something percent of the vote as of earlier this week, which for this state is a rarity. I know that I will be going out to vote today, but am still not 100% certain who will be getting my vote. I am aware of where the candidates stand on the issues that are important to me, but that hasn't really solidified my decision entirely. I hate to feel as though I've voting "against" one candidate, but can't help but feeling like I'm choosing the lesser of 2 (3?) evils. Anyone else?

egoldber
11-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Seriously, I am a die hard Democrat. Die hard. Pretty much a straight party line voter. But the democratic candidate for governor in my state is sooooo lame that I am seriously not sure if I will vote for him, not vote in that race since I don't really support either candidate, or vote for the Republican.

jenfromnj
11-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Seriously, I am a die hard Democrat. Die hard. Pretty much a straight party line voter. But the democratic candidate for governor in my state is sooooo lame that I am seriously not sure if I will vote for him, not vote in that race since I don't really support either candidate, or vote for the Republican.

That is part of my problem--we are solidly Democrats (mainly due to social issues), but the incumbent governor, who is a Democrat for whom I voted in the last election, has been really disappointing and I just don't know that I can vote for him. But then I have to wonder, would either of the other candidates really be much better? And I disagree with them on certain important issues. I am usually not this indecisive at all about things like this, but I feel like I shouldn't not vote because of it.

lorinick
11-03-2009, 10:22 AM
In NJ as well and will be voting for Christie. I already know Corzine's record and can't afford another four years of him. I'm not sure why anyone would vote for him. NJ has the highest taxes in the nation. And Corzine only plan is to raise them more. At 8,000.00 a year now. I can't afford anymore. Corzine trys to buy votes with all of his money and off the wall Ads. So surely will be voting R this time around.

lorinick
11-03-2009, 10:25 AM
That is part of my problem--we are solidly Democrats (mainly due to social issues), but the incumbent governor, who is a Democrat for whom I voted in the last election, has been really disappointing and I just don't know that I can vote for him. But then I have to wonder, would either of the other candidates really be much better? And I disagree with them on certain important issues. I am usually not this indecisive at all about things like this, but I feel like I shouldn't not vote because of it.

I too was raised Democrat. But I can't vote for someone who hasn't done a thing in my option just because his a Democrat. I'm voting for change and Corzine has already shown me his record. I'm going to give to Christie a chance. I don't see how he can do any worse of a job.

mommylamb
11-03-2009, 10:39 AM

I hear ya. I voted for him, but I really don't like him. He ran the worst campaign. What a disappointment. The only reason I know anything about what he stands for is because of the WP editorials. He never did anything to say why he wanted to be governor and what he would do. On a professional level, whoever is governor has a big impact on me at work. There is part of me that thinks the Republican will have better staff anyway if the campaign says anything about their executive styles, so maybe it will be better for me in the long run.

ETA: I'm not in New Jersey, and so I haven't experienced Corzine as a governor, but I used to lobby the Banking Committee when he was on it in the Senate, and he was always a very thoughtful, clearly intelligent individual. I like him. A good friend of mine is his DC director, and I'd hate to have him lose his job.

jenfromnj
11-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I too was raised Democrat. But I can't vote for someone who hasn't done a thing in my option just because his a Democrat. I'm voting for change and Corzine has already shown me his record. I'm going to give to Christie a chance. I don't see how he can do any worse of a job.

I agree with you that Corzine has certainly not done much! I was actually considering voting for Daggett, since I actually agree with several of his views on key points, but just don't think he has quite enough support to be a real contender in what might be a pretty close election (I know that this is one of the issues with our current system of 2 parties having all the power, but that's an entirely different post).

Ceepa
11-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Corzine is a trainwreck. Re-electing him is inconceivable to me.

jenfromnj
11-03-2009, 11:17 AM
I truly was not trying to start a debate about NJ politics! Just wondering if anyone is having a similar issue.

babybunny
11-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I am voting for Christie. Trying to convince DH who is a Democrat to do the same. He is thinking of voting for the 3rd candidate - Daggett - the Ross Perot of the the election.

kijip
11-03-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm very far from NJ so no opinion from me on that race.

We don't have any big races where it is hard to decide for me. The smallest races are sorta flip a coin situations...do we want this Democrat or that Democrat (they are non-partisan but in Seattle, you don't often get elected to much of anything as a Republican). The bigger races here are not that big this year and have clear vote getters for me.

poppy
11-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I just know that sales tax in NJ was 6% until Corzine got into office and it is now 7%. That's a huge jump. Also, he hasn't done much for the state, in my opinion.

larig
11-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm an undecided voter for the first time EVER. It's our mayoral election--2 dems who don't excite me at all. One I think I probably agree with more, but on one big issue I have serious reservations about his policies (big enough that I don't think I can vote for him). I've always wondered why people could be undecided until the last minute, but that's me this time. It sucks.

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2009, 03:29 PM
I have no idea who to vote for in some of the races so I am abstaining. I don't want to cast an uninformed, unconfident ballot. I'll vote for the elections I am informed about and skip the rest. I'd hate for someone's future to be decided my me right now!

Beth

lorinick
11-03-2009, 03:33 PM
I am voting for Christie. Trying to convince DH who is a Democrat to do the same. He is thinking of voting for the 3rd candidate - Daggett - the Ross Perot of the the election.

That is a waste of a vote that is taking votes from Christie. Daggett worked for Corzine for years. Daggett has no chance of winning anyway. Why waste a vote.

clb
11-03-2009, 04:58 PM
I truly was not trying to start a debate about NJ politics! Just wondering if anyone is having a similar issue.

I am in NJ and can I please say that I cannot wait until this election is over. My phone has not stopped ringing for days. At least I haven't gotten as many mailings as the last election.