PDA

View Full Version : Quick - Deal needed on hotel in DC for FRIDAY

Jen841
11-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Opportunity came our way we want to take advantage of. Want to stay downtown close to the sites. Any recommendations or good deals? How do you find your last minute travel hotels? I am such a planner that last minute does not happen with us.

egoldber
11-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Downtown is very expensive.

You are actually closer in downtown Arlington (Virginia) and an easy walk or metro ride to the Mall.

TwinFoxes
11-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Priceline is usually the way to go for last minute bargains. Also, try Quikbook.com If you find a particular hotel and want opinions, feel free to post. I, and other DC area moms would be happy to help! If you don't mind riding the metro in, Arlington VA has much cheaper prices than the District. But it's not as convenient to most of the sites.

ETA: Beth and I posted at the same time! Funny, I think of Arlington as farther to the sites...but I guess it depends on where in the District you're staying, and which sites.

jenfromnj
11-03-2009, 11:12 AM
We've used both priceline and hotwire, and been happy with both. As long as you aren't set on staying at a specific hotel, you can get really good deals.

ETA: I think both sites only guarantee double occupancy, so if you are bringing your children, it might not be the best plan, esp if you are planning to stay in the city proper.

Jen841
11-03-2009, 11:18 AM
We need to be off the red line for an event Friday at 7:00, then we want to go to the Air and Space musuem on Saturday am. I see hotels around $100 via Hotwire and the other site recommended. Do I want:
Embassy Row
Dupont Circle
Capital Hill
Downtown
or any or all of the above?

We will stay in the city if we stay, we passed on opportunity to stay with family to make the most of the less than 24 hours we will have there.

Thank you all! DH knows the area, but is so swamped with work I am trying to do this 'on my own'!

egoldber
11-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Which red line stop?

Jen841
11-03-2009, 11:23 AM
By 1500 Eckington Place

TwinFoxes
11-03-2009, 11:27 AM
We need to be off the red line for an event Friday at 7:00, then we want to go to the Air and Space musuem on Saturday am. I see hotels around $100 via Hotwire and the other site recommended. Do I want:
Embassy Row
Dupont Circle
Capital Hill
Downtown
or any or all of the above?

We will stay in the city if we stay, we passed on opportunity to stay with family to make the most of the less than 24 hours we will have there.

Thank you all! DH knows the area, but is so swamped with work I am trying to do this 'on my own'!

Do you know how they define "downtown?" There are a couple of different areas that people consider downtown, I found out the hard way! Capital Hill isn't on the Red line, unless you're near Union Station. Embassy Row isn't on any metro line really, Dupont Circle is smack dab on the Red line. It's a trendy area, lots of singles, lots of nightlife. But not all that close to the main touristy area. "Downtown" could be your best bet, but again it depends on what they're calling Downtown. Does it give you streets?

Jen841
11-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Thank you! We will go directly to where we need to be Friday then check into a hotel. Just so we easily get around on foot or by bus/train to the musuem we should be fine. We are confortable with mass transit (used to live in Chicago).

TwinFoxes
11-03-2009, 11:32 AM
By 1500 Eckington Place

XM? Hmmm. Yeah, you don't want to stay near there. It's an "up and coming" neighborhood. Your best bet if you want to be close to there, and near the sites, would probably be one of the hotels near Union Station.

ETA: but honestly, since you're used to public transport, Dupont would be good too. Or the area near Metro Center.

egoldber
11-03-2009, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't worry about being "on" the red line. Almost any line in DC/Arlington will get you there with only a change at Union Station. Any hotel near a metro stop will be fine IMO.

Jen841
11-04-2009, 09:41 AM
I did the Priceline bidding thing and got the Liason Hill Affina for @$100 with taxes. Craziest thing I have done in a long time. I hope it works well for the 4 of us. Live and learn.

TwinFoxes
11-04-2009, 11:57 AM
That's a good location for you I think. You'll be able to walk to the Capitol, and even the Mall where the Smithsonians are. And you'll be able to walk to Union Station, which is on the Red Line like you wanted. Have fun!!!

lowrioh
11-04-2009, 12:18 PM
That's a great location. FYI, the Judiciary Square Metro station used to be closed on the weekends (not sure if it is still the case) so you probably want to use Union Station.

mommylamb
11-04-2009, 05:30 PM
The Liaison seems like a nice hotel. I haven't stayed there (I'm a native, so no need for a hotel), but it's right around the corner from my office, and there restaurant (Art and Soul) is quite good.