PDA

View Full Version : Leather Diaper Bags

hoodlims
11-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Leather Diaper Bags - Are they a crazy idea? How easy are they to clean/protect? How dirty will they get? I am interested in the leather Storksak Elizabeth bags and part of me thinks I am nuts.

Vestirse
11-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Well, there are things you can use to treat leather that can make it more impervious to things like water. I recall one product called AppleGard, but you might want to consult The Purse Forum (http://forum.purseblog.com/). (edited to add link for convenience)

I don't think you're insane (because I love bags), but you're probably asking for a lot of work if you want to keep it up in really good condition. Keep in mind that it is a diaper bag - anything with the word "diaper" in it just screams to me that it is not an item for the long term nor one I should have high expectations for in the cleanliness department.

In this case, I do prefer faux leather of the polyurethane variety if you can find it. Sure it's not going to last, but this is a diaper bag we're talking about. Plus it's cheap and really easy to clean. Of course, I just use a large faux leather purse as my diaper bag with a purse organizer inside. So far it seems to be working well, but keep in mind my son is only five weeks old, so it's not like I'm the most experienced!!

infomama
11-03-2009, 09:00 PM
For me a leather diaper bag would be out of the question. That being said I really only have one nice leather purse/bag (Coach) and I treat it very gingerly.

aajamu
11-03-2009, 10:44 PM
OiOi has some really nice leather bags. The leather is pretty durable (I have one in black so I don't worry about stains). You can usually find a great deal on ebay if you don't mind a tiny scratch or mark or two.

I'm a recent leather bag convert. I use Apple Gard leather conditioner on my bags. I had a HORRIBLE experience with the Apple Gard weather proofing spray, it totally stained one of my Lucky Brand bags. $150 down the drain - total loss, the bag looked horrible (the stains NEVER faded; the test spot was OK oddly enough). I would recommend black or a darker color.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-04-2009, 12:10 AM
ok since I am a bag-aholic i just had reply to this thread!! :) i'm not a mom yet but here's my 2 cents on leather bags..

1) if a leather bag is going to be used as a diaper bag, I would definitely treat it to protect it from stains, watermarks, etc. as Vestirse mentioned, there's Apple Guard, which is a water repellant. I have it and have used it on some of my leather bags, it works well..but i would test a small area first before spraying it all over the bags... leathers are all very different and you don't want to risk ruining/staining a bag. There's also AppleCare leather conditioner (from same company as AppleGuard) , which I've also used. You can get AppleGuard/AppleCare as well as other leather conditioning products here: http://leatherstuff.com/shop/index.php?id=290

2) the one downside to leather bags though is that they tend to be heavy, and can get tiring to lug around after awhile. this is why i love canvas bags (e.g. Louis Vuitton) so much, because they are so lightweight yet quite sturdy. though I guess if you are mostly planning on keeping the bag in a stroller (rather than always carrying it on your shoulder) it should be fine...

Piglet
11-04-2009, 01:36 AM
I had a great one with DS2, but it couldn't be washed properly and there was an unfortunate spilled rotten apple juice incident... you get the idea! Needless to say it was not used with DD and I switched back to my other bags.

aajamu
11-04-2009, 05:44 PM
ok since I am a bag-aholic i just had reply to this thread!! :) i'm not a mom yet but here's my 2 cents on leather bags..

1) if a leather bag is going to be used as a diaper bag, I would definitely treat it to protect it from stains, watermarks, etc. as Vestirse mentioned, there's Apple Guard, which is a water repellant. I have it and have used it on some of my leather bags, it works well..but i would test a small area first before spraying it all over the bags... leathers are all very different and you don't want to risk ruining/staining a bag. There's also AppleCare leather conditioner (from same company as AppleGuard) , which I've also used. You can get AppleGuard/AppleCare as well as other leather conditioning products here: http://leatherstuff.com/shop/index.php?id=290

2) the one downside to leather bags though is that they tend to be heavy, and can get tiring to lug around after awhile. this is why i love canvas bags (e.g. Louis Vuitton) so much, because they are so lightweight yet quite sturdy. though I guess if you are mostly planning on keeping the bag in a stroller (rather than always carrying it on your shoulder) it should be fine...

Agree with leather bags being heavier. But they are also a lot more durable and tend to last longer if you take proper care of them. My canvas bags tend to wear out on the bottom - and laminated canvas bags also start to peel with time. Also, if you stain a laminated canvas bag, good luck ever getting that out - leather can be easier to clean.

Also, I have to state (again) that AppleGard weatherproofing spray should be used with extreme caution. I read all about it on The Purse Forum and did the whole sample spot test first. That worked out so I lightly sprayed a brown lambskin bag and it was absolutely RUINED. I was heartbroken and just refuse to use that product again. The conditioner works very well though and I've had a lot of luck with that.

michellerw
11-04-2009, 05:49 PM
I actually have two leather Coach briefcase/diaper bags (I know, how weird) that my mom picked up for me at the outlet a few years ago, in the back section where the "real" Coach stuff is.

They have these inserts that can be used as laptop sleeve/wraps or changing pads. I've been using the black one as a briefcase for the last couple of years now, but the brown one will probably be the diaper bag that lives in the car.

arivecchi
11-04-2009, 05:53 PM
:confused: leather diaper bag????? :hysterical:

(Sorry, couldn't resist :D)

pastrygirl
11-04-2009, 05:59 PM
I easily could have a leather diaper bag without much maintenance. I breastfeed, so there are no drippy bottles or anything. I don't carry drippy/messy snacks. I only carried water in a sippy cup when my son was at that stage, no juice or anything else. My diaper bags have always been spotless, though I've never had a leather one.

Now... watch this baby be a total mess so I will eat my words! :tongue5:

hellokitty
11-04-2009, 07:14 PM
:confused: leather diaper bag????? :hysterical:

(Sorry, couldn't resist :D)

I know, that's how I feel too. I can't imagine how heavy it would be to lug around a leather diaper bag, it's already heavy enough when I use fabric or nylon material diaper bags.

Kymberley
11-05-2009, 02:09 PM
I bought the OiOi leather messenger, and I love it. But, I love all things leather. It is a bit heavier, but it hold everything!

hoodlims
07-18-2011, 02:58 AM
It has been a long time (I forgot about this website after having my LO 1.5 years ago) and I did NOT get a leather diaper bag, but am currently using a faux leather style one from Fleurville. I find it easy to clean and very attractive. It was a hand me down so I am not sure if they make it anymore. I think it is similar to their G-Luxe line. I am planning on getting a Petunia Picklebottom Boxy Backpack in their PVC material once I have baby #2 in Dec as they are roomy and a local company.

Hope that helps anyone who might stumble across this old thread!

BayGirl2
08-02-2011, 08:04 PM
I don't have all leather, but my summer diaper bag is linen w/ leather details. Its a bit heavy, but mostly because its really roomy and I load it up.

I personally don't have the dirty issue that some mom's talk about. I keep snacks and sippy's of milk in there but have never had enough of a mess as to need to wash it or even spot clean it. I guess when DS was a newborn there may have been an incident of spit up or something, but I've never needed to put a diaper bag in the laundry.

Just my experience. I'd rather carry something nice looking that I love since its pretty much the only fashion accessory I get most days.

goldenpig
08-02-2011, 09:36 PM
JuJuBe makes faux leather Earth Leather diaper bags that are actually machine washable! I don't have one but they look fab!

http://ju-ju-be.com/ju-ju-blog/?p=672
http://ju-ju-be.com/ju-ju-blog/?p=2266
http://ju-ju-be.com/ju-ju-blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/BrownBehave.JPG
http://ju-ju-be.com/ju-ju-blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/6901.JPG

mackmama
08-02-2011, 11:44 PM
I have a JuJuBe Earth Leather bag, and I LOVE it. It is chic, durable, and very well-organized... plus it can go in the laundry! Amazing.

goldenpig
08-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I have a JuJuBe Earth Leather bag, and I LOVE it. It is chic, durable, and very well-organized... plus it can go in the laundry! Amazing.

Which one? What color? :D

mackmama
08-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Which one? What color? :D

The Be Fabulous in Black with the hot pink lining. I really wanted the brown/teal bag, but I don't like brass hardware.

pastrygirl
08-03-2011, 09:50 AM
I have the brown BeHave, and LOVE IT. It's the perfect color and great shape/size!

mackmama
08-03-2011, 11:14 AM
I love hearing about the JJB love! I really like the Behave and think I'll need to get one in the future once I don't need to carry around so much stuff. I think it's a little small for me right now, but I love the looks of it. I'd want the brown if I could get it without that brass hardware! :)

Momto1
08-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Looove JJB Earth Leather. I've owned a BeFabulous and a Behave in the past - loved them both but sold them because I no longer needed them for PT'd DD. Now I just own a Brown/Teal MightyBe which is amazing.

mackmama
08-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Looove JJB Earth Leather. I've owned a BeFabulous and a Behave in the past - loved them both but sold them because I no longer needed them for PT'd DD. Now I just own a Brown/Teal MightyBe which is amazing.

I love my MightyBe, too! It's so convenient.

Just curious where you sold your other bags? I have a BFF I want to sell, but JJB isn't well-known around here.

goldenpig
08-04-2011, 02:52 PM

Just curious where you sold your other bags? I have a BFF I want to sell, but JJB isn't well-known around here.

There's something called "The Pink Room" which is a forum where JJB fans buy & sell used bags. Maybe give that a try?

http://www.ju-ju-be.com/PinkRoom2/

mackmama
08-04-2011, 02:53 PM
There's something called "The Pink Room" which is a forum where JJB fans buy & sell used bags. Maybe give that a try?

http://www.ju-ju-be.com/PinkRoom2/

Yeh I'm just so far away from the required 300 posts to sell on there :(

Momto1
08-05-2011, 04:34 PM

I've sold mine on the Pink Room. JJB also has a facebook page where you can list items for sale and the FB page doesn't have any minimum requirements.

hoodlims
08-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Those faux leather bags are beautiful! I almost got a JJB but couldn't get the print I wanted at the time. I think I am much more of a neutral/boring bag person, so it is nice to see those purse-like ones.

todzwife
08-17-2011, 06:14 PM
I LOVE my JJB earth leather Behave. I have vanilla and it feels so fancy (I'm a jeans and t-shirt girl). It's such an awesome bag!