PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend your DH's undershirts?

kayte
11-03-2009, 12:09 PM
I am having a terrible time with DH's undershirts. They are Hanes, I bought them at Target. His previous ones were also Hanes, though I bought them at Macy's. The newer ones already look frayed around the edges and are really dingy all over--which is not a problem I have with any of my other white laundry. Is there a difference between Hanes at Target and Hanes at Macy's???

Should I be washing them separately?

Should I be buying a different/better brand?

I feel like the last ones lasted so much longer. The only thing I can think I have changed is that we now use Charlie's Soap (for about 6 months now). I know it's not particularly great with stains, but it's not stains, it's all over dinginess--they are all off white all over. Plus most of our other laundry seems to be wearing better, yet these are frayed on the neckline.

Thoughts?

egoldber
11-03-2009, 12:10 PM
DH likes the Kirkand brand ones at Costco.

brittone2
11-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Charlie's doesn't have optical brighteners (which is good from an environmental and health perspective). That may make your whites appear a bit dingier though if you are accustomed to a detergent w/ optical brighteners.

Can you sun them at all? Sun bleaches things a bit naturally.

I just got DH some Brooks Brothers ones as the cheapos usually shrink too much in length.

I think some people here in the past have also recommended Kirkland (Costco) undershirts? (eta: crossposted with egoldberg on that one! ;) )

billysmommy
11-03-2009, 12:15 PM
DH has BJ's brand ~ I think it's Lanesboro. They're really soft, thick cotton. He loves them.

clc053103
11-03-2009, 12:16 PM
DH loves the Gap ones- they have a little stretch to them.

MommyAllison
11-03-2009, 12:19 PM
DH uses American Apparel. They are cut slim, which works better for him than most brands.

C99
11-03-2009, 12:20 PM
The Kirkland ones from Costco are nice and thick and come in a 5-pack for like $20. They are awesome.

Corie
11-03-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm glad that you asked this question!! My husband's undershirts
keep shrinking up on him.

wendibird22
11-03-2009, 12:44 PM
DHs are JCPenny brand (Stafford I think?) and they are a nice weight cotton and hold up well. Great sales around the holidays.

Piglet
11-03-2009, 12:45 PM
DH loves the Costco ones, but I am trying to remember if they were the ones that had really long sleeves. One pack that DH bought has longer short sleeves than the other pack he bought (he bought Costco and another brand to compare). They are fine for long sleeve shirts, but stick out of his short sleeve shirts. Again, though, not sure which brand was the problem, but it might be worth checking if you do end up buying the Costco ones.

lilycat88
11-03-2009, 12:47 PM
:yeahthat:

kayte
11-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Charlie's doesn't have optical brighteners (which is good from an environmental and health perspective). That may make your whites appear a bit dingier though if you are accustomed to a detergent w/ optical brighteners.

Can you sun them at all? Sun bleaches things a bit naturally.

I can put them out on the line. (I have low contraband line for my dish towels and napkins by the tree in the backyard).

I just find it odd that they seems to be dingier when we have all white towels, dishtowel and napkins. Perhaps it's the material or the weave.

kayte
11-03-2009, 12:55 PM
I will have to try the Kirkland ones.

Deanna--If you are reading this thread, can you pick up O some shirts on your next Costco run? I know I have to wait for rain in the forecast! lol!!

AnnieW625
11-03-2009, 01:01 PM
DH really likes 2Xist (got these at Marshalls a while back--like years ago and they are still in great shape; Clinton Kelly from WNTW recommended them), and Calvin Klein (got these at Costco a few months ago). DH felt the Kirkland brand ones and the Calvin ones and much preferred the Calvin ones. I have bought Hanes from the discount store and they don't last nearly as long as the more $$$ ones. I have also bought Hanes from Kohls and I think those were okay, but not as nice as the Calvins.

ETA: I know it's not environmentally friendly but I still use bleach on all of our whites, we are currently using 7th Generation powder detergent and the whites still seem really bright.

GaPeach_in_Ca
11-03-2009, 01:04 PM
My DH has Polo undershirts and they are nice and soft and last for a long time. We either get them at Macy's on sale or when we see them at Marshalls/TJMaxx.

mamalia
11-03-2009, 01:07 PM
My DH likes Hanes too. And there is a difference in the Hanes undershirts depending on where they are made. My DH could tell based upon softness and thickness. I can't remember off the top of my head which was the "good location." Maybe Turkey? I'd look on the good shirts you have and then search for that location in the stores. I did this and remember that Macys had a better selection of the location we were looking for.

baileygirl
11-03-2009, 01:09 PM
I think Dh's favorites are Brooks Brothers. He thought the Kirkland ones were okay. He does more laundry then me, but I am pretty certain he just washes them with other whites (using some non ecofriendly bleach for colors).

hobie
11-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Has your DH changed deodorants? I know that deodorant can leave yucky stains on undershirts. My DH switched to a natural crystal stone, and now his new shirts are stain free.

fauve01
11-03-2009, 02:25 PM

:yeahthat: The kirkland shirts are also long enough for my tall DH, so they stay tucked in.

Anne

Joolsplus2
11-03-2009, 02:58 PM
My DH has Polo undershirts and they are nice and soft and last for a long time. We either get them at Macy's on sale or when we see them at Marshalls/TJMaxx.

sariana
11-03-2009, 03:19 PM
The Kirkland ones are great--and they're also gone!! For several weeks now our warehouse has had only size M (DH likes large). I finally was able to get someone to tell me they are coming back with a new item number, but he didn't know when.

A new item number often means a new manufacturer. So who knows what the "new" ones will be like? Or when they will be available?

I bought some Hanes at Target because DH is going overseas and can't wait for Costco to get its act together. It is disheartening to hear that they do not hold up as well as others.

jent
11-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, b/c my DH sorely needs undershirts too. Anyone know which ones *aren't* thick? DH gets hot easily so prefers thin material. I'm thinking maybe Gap-- the last tee I bought for myself was pretty thin.

WatchingThemGrow
11-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Brooks Brothers - from the store, not the outlet. He lives in them at home.

Pennylane
11-03-2009, 03:44 PM
My DH loves the Stafford Heavyweight Undershirts at Jcpenney. They wash so nice and are thicker than Hanes and Jockey. They also come in tall sizes, which is nice because he is 6'4 and they are always coming untucked.

Ann

Mikey0709
11-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Another vote for the POLO brand - - i get them at TJmaxx and Marshalls. they are the SOFTEST we have found - yet long lasting. I always look at the clearance section. My husband is also XXL... and they retain their size through the laundry!

lchang25000
11-03-2009, 05:04 PM
DH has some Gap ones that a fitted and supersoft! The Kirkland ones feel very thick.

ThreeofUs
11-03-2009, 05:50 PM

We've tried just about every undershirt. Kirkland undershirts from Costco manage to be thick, soft, and durable all at the same time. They're all we buy - and when I'm not pg or nursing, it's what I wear to bed. They're that cozy.

alexsmommy
11-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Kirkland from Costco - thanks for reminding me to pick up some more. Hold up really well and they are soft...
and Gah! just read the post that said they are gone. Ugh. I hope the new manufacturer is just as good, the old ones were great.

happymom
11-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Has your DH changed deodorants? I know that deodorant can leave yucky stains on undershirts. My DH switched to a natural crystal stone, and now his new shirts are stain free.

Where do you buy this deoderant? Which brand? Is it effective (DH sweats easily...)? Thanks!

octmom
11-03-2009, 08:07 PM
DH wears Brooks Brothers undershirts from the outlet.

catsnkid
11-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Dh's fruit of the loom and hanes have not held up well. They were probably purchased at walmart. I bleach them once in awhile. He has some shirts that were 2.00 at CVS awhile ago, those have held up nicely. Maybe I will give him some as stocking stuffers and trash some of them- good rags. I don't really care about the pit stains, as they are undershirts.. I might check out what is availabe at bj's.

Corie
11-03-2009, 10:02 PM
and when I'm not pg or nursing, it's what I wear to bed. They're that cozy.

I get my husband's old undershirts and I wear them to bed too. I let my
kids decorate them with my fabric markers and now they are fancy. :)

ThreeofUs
11-03-2009, 10:09 PM
I get my husband's old undershirts and I wear them to bed too. I let my kids decorate them with my fabric markers and now they are fancy. :)

What a fantastic idea! I'm going to get some pens tomorrow. Thank you!

DrSally
11-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Costco undershirts are really nice and thick (nice for winter) and seem a bit longer. Hanes are noticably thinner. I generally wash my whites separately from thre rest of my laundry.

kozachka
11-03-2009, 11:12 PM
DH does not like Kirkland undershirt because they are too think and too big. He much prefers Calvin Klein ones.