PDA

View Full Version : IUD/Paragard Insertion - Recovery?

mamalia
11-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi, do you know (I did a search and found good info here but not the answers to these questions)...
1. Whether insertion is something that a baby could be in the room for? FYI (just for comparison) my baby attended my postpartum check. About how long is the process?
2. Would you reschedule your insertion if your husband would be unavailable that whole day leaving you to care for a preschooler and newborn till late at night?
3. Any pain meds recommended besides ibuprofen beforehand?

I'm asking because...
The RNP said it was easy to do during my pp check, and I did have my baby with me at the time which she didn't mention shouldn't be present for the actual insertion.

Many of the posters on IUD Divas are very young without children, and I'm wondering if this colors their impression of the pain levels. Some seem to be helpless for quite a while after insertion - needing a driver and "doing nothing" for a couple of days. Did the mamas here experience that too?

THanks in advance!

Piglet
11-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I am not sure - I was so freaked out about the whole thing that it would have been harder for me emotionally if I also had to worry about the baby crying, etc. On the other hand, I didn't find it painful or debilitating in the least, just more scary than anything. My nurse even mentioned that I was white as a ghost and they were afraid I mgight pass out... but again not from pain, just becasue I don't do well with those kinds of procedures. If baby is in a carseat, I might be tempted to ask the nurse if someone could hang out with the baby at the front desk rather than having that extra distraction in the room with me. The nurses at my OBs office were all over my babies since they sort of get to know you for the length of the pregnancy but don't get too much baby time. I took some Advil before the insertion.

baileygirl
11-03-2009, 12:59 PM
I had paragard inserted earlier this year, and honestly I don't remember it being a big deal. I did plan it for when dh would be home from work. It is quick to insert and then the dr did an ultrasound to check the placement (and gave me a picture of it). Afterwards I was happy for some freedom and went shopping. I only took the ibuprofen the dr recommended before the appointment. I know other people here on a different experience with it. You probably would want to make certain your husband is around, since you don't know how you will feel about it.

mamalia
11-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks for your experience Marina! That's good to know. I'm not scared (yet), but maybe it's bc I don't know enough about it to worry???

Anyone else??

cono0507
11-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I took my 2 month old along and she sat in the carseat carrier sleeping during the procedure.
For me it was really no different than having some menstrual like cramps. I just took ibuprofen before the procedure and didn't need any afterward. My husband was at work all day and it wasn't a big deal for me at all, but I know everyone is different.

Tondi G
11-03-2009, 02:01 PM
My insertion was quite painful (went while I had my period as suggested by my OB). My OB ended up sending me down to the U/S room to make sure all was in the right place. It hurt and then I had strong cramping on one side (I took Motrin and I don't think it did all that much for me). I stayed laying down for a bit till I didn't feel light headed anymore. By the time I got to the desk to pay my copay I felt like I was going to faint again. I think I was white cause the receptionist asked me if I felt ok and told me to sit down for a minute. My best friend came with me and drove me home. I had quite a bit of cramping on the way home and was thankful someone else was driving. I don't think my body liked the IUD at all. I had it removed a year later cause I couldn't deal with it anymore!

I think some people are totally fine... others not so much. Chances are you would be fine with baby in the room and driving yourself home... I just didn't know and asked my friend to come along (glad I did).

Good Luck, hope your experience is better than mine!

wolverine2
11-03-2009, 02:13 PM
It seems like there's a wide variety of experiences. For me, there was no pain- just minor discomfort (about 4 months pp) and I didn't notice any pain the rest of the day. I think I took some advil before the procedure, but nothing else the rest of the day. It never even occurred to me to have someone else drive me.

kristenk
11-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I had my Mirena placed about 2 months after DD was born. My MIL was in town visiting, so she stayed home with DD.

I really wouldn't have had a problem with a 2mo being in the room for the procedure. If someone needed to hold her, there would have been lots of willing arms. Also, chances are she would have slept through the whole thing.

I think that the NP said to take it easy for the rest of the day. I know I took ibuprofen, but didn't need anything stronger than that. I also tried to lie down for a while.

I guess my summary is that I think having the baby with you for the procedure would be fine, but I'd want to have the procedure on a day when DH would be home at least on time, if not a little early.

elephantmeg
11-03-2009, 02:21 PM
I had a mirena placed. DH and DD were there-DS was elsewhere I guess. I don't remember him being there. I took ibuprofen before and after. I don't remember feeling bad/unable to cope-although I think that was a day DS was at the babysitter's anyways-we did full time for the first few weeks and then tapered down until he was home with me full time at around 6-7 wks (we changed babysitters after maternity leave so wanted him home a few weeks before transitioning back to a new babysitter). Having the baby there was fine. I think she just slept through it for the most part. I will say that having a hand to squeeze during the insertion was nice-it was pretty sharp for a few seconds there. But a nurse would have been as good/better than DH (who whined that I hurt his hand).

tarahsolazy
11-03-2009, 02:26 PM
I've had three Mirenas placed, and I didn't adjust my activity at all afterwards. The first I did an overnight shift in the hospital, the second and third I had newborns to care for. The insertion wasn't fun, but it was just one big cramp each time. I only took the ibuprofen recommended beforehand, didn't need any afterwards. But, YMMV. I wouldn't hesitate to take a 2mo old to the insertion appt, and wouldn't hesitate to care for a baby and a toddler after, but I know how my body reacts...

khalloc
11-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Its a piece of cake. No recovery period necessary.

lil_acorn
11-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I just had it put in 2 months ago. Minor discomfort but I didn't take any meds. I had no problems going to work afterwards but did have to sit there for 1/2 hour in case I was faint.

pb&j
11-03-2009, 02:56 PM
1. Neither of my kids were present, but it would have been fine to have an infant in a bucket there. It was only a few minutes.
2. I would not postpone getting birth control!! But that is just me. I would be devastated if I got pregnant again. Really.
3.I forgot the ibuprofen both times and it was not a problem.

I had the Mirena placed approx 8 weeks after each DC. No recovery needed. Some mild cramping, but not even as bad as a period. Women whose cervixes haven't dilated will have more pain. When you've gotten a whole human person through that opening, a teeny tiny IUD is nothing in comparison! ;)

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2009, 03:01 PM
1. Whether insertion is something that a baby could be in the room for? FYI (just for comparison) my baby attended my postpartum check. About how long is the process?

I had it done at 8w pp with ds2 and ds2 was with me. The office staff wound up taking him out of the room for a walk during the procedure since he was getting fussy.

It probably took 10 minutes or less.

The other IUD was done when no kids were around.

2. Would you reschedule your insertion if your husband would be unavailable that whole day leaving you to care for a preschooler and newborn till late at night?

No, I was fine after both of mine. I did chill at the midwives for just a tiny bit after each one but then I was good to go.

3. Any pain meds recommended besides ibuprofen beforehand?

Just the 800mg of Ibuprofen :)

Beth