PDA

View Full Version : really? this is normal? - swine flu Q

newbiemom
11-03-2009, 12:42 PM
I am recovering from what I think was the swine flu. I have been more thant 24 hrs fever free; still a little congested and a slight cough. But what's hitting me is the absolute weakness and exhaustion. Is this normal even though I'm actually recovered?! How long does this last?
More importantly, how do I finish my day at work here and then go home to take care of my kids when just walking down the hall is wiping me out?!

chinook
11-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Rapid onset of fever and exhaustion are hallmarks of the flu. You're not recovered. When did your fever start? With H1N1 people are considered contagious for 7 days after the onset of symptoms. If you're less than 7 days from onest you should probably go home to prevent the spread to coworkers.

Tinkerbell313
11-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Per CDC.GOV and our pediatrician's office, you are no longer contagious have you have been fever free for at least 24 hours without the use of tylenol, ibuprofen or other fever reducer aids. In fact, you are the most contagious prior to the onset of the symptoms.

Here is a quote from the CDC website:

CDC recommends that people with influenza-like illness remain at home until at least 24 hours after they are free of fever (100° F [37.8°C]), or signs of a fever without the use of fever-reducing medications.

This is a change from the previous recommendation that ill persons stay home for 7 days after illness onset or until 24 hours after the resolution of symptoms, whichever was longer. The new recommendation applies to camps, schools, businesses, mass gatherings, and other community settings where the majority of people are not at increased risk for influenza complications. This guidance does not apply to health care settings where the exclusion period should be continued for 7 days from symptom onset or until the resolution of symptoms, whichever is longer;

However, if your body is still feeling bad, w/o the fever, I would go home and sleep. Feel better.

alexsmommy
11-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Yes, I hear that is normal. Although 24 hours post fever you are no longer contagious, it does not mean you are recovered.
DS1 has it now and is tired just going up and down the stairs - so not like him. He can barely move off the couch.
I was placed on tamiflu (pregnant) and just as I was taking the first dose I could feel myself coming down with it. I can barely get up to change the Wiggles DVD's for DS2 - and that is the extent of parenting I seem to be managing. No fever as of yet, but completely wiped out.
Good luck.

kayte
11-03-2009, 02:45 PM
From this story

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/14/health/main5311030.shtml

When the coughing stops is probably a better sign of when the H1N1 virus (swine flu) patient is no longer contagious, experts said after seeing new research that suggests the virus can still spread many days after a fever goes away.

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been telling people to stay home from work and school and avoid contact with others until a day after their fever breaks. The new research suggests they may need to be careful for longer - especially at home where the risk of spreading the germ is highest.

Swine flu also appears to be contagious longer than ordinary seasonal flu, several experts said.

"This study shows you're not contagious for a day or two. You're probably contagious for about a week," said Gaston De Serres, a scientist at the Institute of Public Health in Quebec.

-------------

My FIL is an immunologist. He concurred with our doctor that you are most likely contagious until the wet or hacking sounding cough subsides completely. For my DD that was 7 days after the fever ended, though we were told it can be as much as 2 full weeks.

Tinkerbell313
11-03-2009, 04:02 PM
But what if you do not have the coughing (or any other symptoms)...

One of my children did not have any symptoms...the other child only had a 99 temp (is that even a temp)? I was tired...that was my only symptom. But, we all tested positive...for type A...which is what doctors are reading as H1N1. I expected to see at least one symptom in DD...but she had none!!

Next year H1N1 will be part of the season flu and a new flu will take its place...ahhh the joys of illness...