PDA

View Full Version : Netflix vs Blockbuster Online

Veronica's Mommy
11-03-2009, 01:17 PM
We had Netflix before but cancelled it because we just weren't using it often enough to justify the expense. That was a year ago. Now I am noticing that all the money I'm spending on redbox I should just get netflix again. Most of what I rent is for DD, so Disney titles are a MUST.
If you have BB, how handy is the in-store return? And what about selection? DH rarely watch movies these days but when we get a chance we are huge movie snobs. And Netflix REALLY spoiled us in that area!
TIA!!!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-03-2009, 01:33 PM
I never pay for redbox, there are TONS of free codes, if you google redbox. In fact I got The Proposal last night for free!

Veronica's Mommy
11-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Good point. But the selection is pretty bad, especially for kids movies.

Melaine
11-03-2009, 01:37 PM
We haven't done Netflix in a long time but when we did BB online it seemed much faster turn around (faster than Netflix once upon a time). I liked being able to trade a movie, usually did that on Sundays if we forgot to mail in the movie. I'm tempted to do one or the other again because it's so nice for getting hard-to-find movies (like old ones) or watching through a series which we seem to do constantly. Blockbuster has a good selection online and we were often able to get Blurays when the DVDs were all OOS.

BabyMine
11-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I love Netflix becasue they have so many kids on demand movies so I don't have to wait for them to come in. I had BB for about a year but they seemed slower than Netflix.

Jen841
11-03-2009, 02:09 PM
We do BB. We like it. One of our local stores closed, but the other always seems to have a good selection. We would not do on-demand, so that is not important to us.

I love the option to go to the store to return, especially in cases of rainy days or illness.

For a while it was REALLY quick (2 days) to get new movies, it is taking longer now but I think that is due to our mail network, not the company since I have noted it with Amazon, Barnes and Noble, normal snail mail...

Corie
11-03-2009, 02:17 PM
We use Blockbuster Online and we love it.

Reyadawnbringer
11-03-2009, 02:20 PM
We have used Netflix for going on 6 years now. We love it and the ability to stream movies online has just made it all the more appealing to us. I use to work at blockbuster waaaaaaay back and they NEVER had the selection that netflix has. I gave up on BB a long time ago.

geochick
11-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Read the reviews. Don't forget to read FULL STORY:

http://www.consumersearch.com/movie-downloads

wellyes
11-03-2009, 04:30 PM
We haven't done Netflix in a long time but when we did BB online it seemed much faster turn around (faster than Netflix once upon a time).
I think it all depends on whose warehouse is closer to you.

I like Netflix due to being able to stream movies & TV shows. Watched Dexter free on demand that way. Not a good one for kids though, obviously.

Veronica's Mommy
11-03-2009, 05:42 PM
But there is Disney on both? Disney cartoon movies? I hate that I can't browse before enrolling.

And thanks for the review site, I will read it.

fivi2
11-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Are you sure you can't browse Netflix? I browse sometimes when I am not logged in. The only things I have been unable to find at Netflix are pretty obscure, but I haven't searched for much Disney.

I have been very happy with Netflix. I was worried that I would miss being able to choose according to my mood, but it has never been an issue. I do wonder how they decide who gets dvds with a long wait, but other than that, I like it.

I have not ever tried Blockbuster Online.

love_a_latte
11-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Netflix has had just about every Disney movie DD and I have searched for. The one exception that I can think of is the old Alice in Wonderland. Besides that they have had everything. Also, right now they have WALL-E and Bolt on instant view (don't ask how I know...)

hellokitty
11-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Never tried BB online (only one BB in our area and it is 20 min from us, so not worth the benefit of BB online), but have had netflix for over five yrs and have been very happy with it. We like to watch a lot of indie and foriegn films and we also love the instant view feature. For children's movies, I usually just get that from our library which has a good dvd selection.

Corie
11-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Never tried BB online (only one BB in our area and it is 20 min from us, so not worth the benefit of BB online)

Why do you need a Blockbuster nearby to be worth the benefit of BB online?

I'm curious.

TwinFoxes
11-03-2009, 11:30 PM

I'm curious.

I think BB has a deal where you can take your movies back to their store.

I :heartbeat: Netflix. But my girls don't watch movies yet so I don't know about their kids selection. The grownup movie selection is better. They have more indie films than BB, plus I love the streaming option. Warning: it's a good way to get addicted to TV shows. It's how I got addicted to The Tudors (Jonathan Rhys-Myers, yum!) But it's not just TV shows, you can stream movies as well. And if you have an X-Box (I think it's X-Box) you can stream them to your TV.

hellokitty
11-03-2009, 11:34 PM

I'm curious.

What Twinfoxes said. You can go to the store to trade in movies instead of mailing them back in and I think you are allowed to get a certain # of movies through the B&M store each month. I don't know the specifics, so I may be wrong about some of those things, but there are additional benefits that online members get at B&M BB stores.

Melaine
11-04-2009, 08:24 AM
And if you have an X-Box (I think it's X-Box) you can stream them to your TV.

That's right, DH and I were just talking about it. Apparently, the Xbox360 might not be completely worthless after all.:ROTFLMAO:

Reyadawnbringer
11-04-2009, 10:16 AM
That's right, DH and I were just talking about it. Apparently, the Xbox360 might not be completely worthless after all.:ROTFLMAO:

Yea, you can stream movies to TV through the Xbox 360, however, you MUST have an Xbox live membership in order to access it (I think that membership is average of 50 a year or so, but it also allows you to play online games with friends too).

I just recently heard that Netflix is FINALLY planning to allow streaming directly to Playstation 3's as well. This is excellent news for us because we own the PS3 and NOT the Xbox 360.

Just an FYI because we actually prefer our PS3 to an Xbox 360 (mostly the same game selection with a few exceptions, PLUS you have a built in Blu-ray player= better value, imo).