PDA

View Full Version : How does this sound for the wording on my Christmas cards...

gatorsmom
11-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Normally I'm very considerate of other people's beliefs. But this year, particularly with my dad's cancer diagnosis, I"m feeling very proud of my own religious beliefs, though I don't want to offend anyone of another religious persuasion. I just want to share the love, kwim?

So, how does this sound (please let me know if this isn't the best way of saying things. I wasn't an English major :) ):

Wishing you a holiday season filled with much joy, love and the peace of Christ. The Smith's

Oh and btw, shutterfly is offering free shipping and 25 holiday cards free with the purchase of 50.

TIA!

elektra
11-03-2009, 07:28 PM
I personally am totally fine with holiday/Christmas cards that have Christian messages on them, even though I am not religious and usually send out the "Happy Holidays" type of message.
I think wishing someone peace is a nice thing and I think the messsage is fine.

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2009, 07:30 PM
I think it is perfectly fine. I really don't think you need to be PC on your own Christmas cards. (well, unless you are specifically saying X religion stinks or something crazy :p). Odds are they are going out to people you know well enough that they understand your religious beliefs.

Beth

LarsMal
11-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Totally nit-picking here...

I might be wrong, but do you need a comma between "joy" and "and" since you have a list going? peace, joy, and...

I think it is perfectly fine. Like pp said- it's your card, you don't have to be PC.

We send out "holiday" cards because we have a lot of Jewish friends and non-religious friends. If the vast majority of our friends celebrated Christmas I would probably make it a "Christmas" card, but that's not our situation.

I think your message is very nice!

hillview
11-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Pretty sure the comma is optional on serial commas with an "and" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma ugg sorry :)

I think the wording is great. I am not religious but would be happy to get your card.
/hillary

AnnieW625
11-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Normally I'm very considerate of other people's beliefs. But this year, particularly with my dad's cancer diagnosis, I"m feeling very proud of my own religious beliefs, though I don't want to offend anyone of another religious persuasion. I just want to share the love, kwim?

So, how does this sound (please let me know if this isn't the best way of saying things. I wasn't an English major :) ):

Wishing you a holiday season filled with much joy, love and the peace of Christ. The Smith's

Oh and btw, shutterfly is offering free shipping and 25 holiday cards free with the purchase of 50.

TIA!

We aren't overly religious although we are practicing Catholic and DH thinks it mandatory that Christmas must be mentioned on our cards. I like the wording. We do have an alternate holiday card for our few Jewish friends though.

How long is the Shutterfly special going on? (oh jease, cards should go out in a month!)

gatorsmom
11-03-2009, 08:55 PM
How long is the Shutterfly special going on? (oh jease, cards should go out in a month!)

Oh, it's only good til tomorrow!

infomama
11-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Sounds good to me. I never subscribed to the idea that I have to make my Christmas cards religion-neutral.

vludmilla
11-03-2009, 09:03 PM
I am completely non-religious, as in have no belief in God, whatsoever, and I don't mind Christmas cards that mention "peace of Christ". I don't particularly like cards that go way beyond that with the religious message because sometimes they feel like proselytizing but your wording is completely a-ok with me. FWIW. ;)

wellyes
11-03-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm an atheist and I think it's absolutely fine. I wouldn't mind getting that a bit. It is a very nice message.

To REALLY nitpack: I don't think "The Smith's" is appropriate. Apostrophes are to be used for possessive or a contractions. I would say "The Smiths" or if you dislike that, "The Smith Family".

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-03-2009, 09:06 PM
As an agnostic, it sounds fine!

JMS
11-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I think the sentiment is beautiful and not at all offensive.

As for the wording, I really hate to sound nit picky (and I am far from the English major myself) but the word "much" is throwing me off.
To me, it doesn't sound right with "peace of Christ". I wish I could articulate this better. But if it were me, I'd either leave the word "much" out all together:

Wishing you a holiday season filled with joy, love and the peace of Christ.

Or, I'd change it to almost two separate thoughts so it doesn't sound at all like you are wishing 'much peace of Christ'. In other words:

Wishing you a holiday season filled with much joy and love, and the peace of Christ.

I really, really think that the Christ part is so special that it should almost be it's own thought, IYKWIM? And I like to end the sentence with it so it's the last idea expressed. Now, I hope I'm not offending you :)

Oh.. and if it were me, one more thing :), I'd capitalize:
Wishing You a Holiday Season Filled with Much Joy and Love, and the Peace of Christ

SkyrMommy
11-03-2009, 09:16 PM
I think the wording is perfectly fine, we're not religious at all but are more than happy to know that other people find peace and harmony in their own ways. Besides you're sending a lovely card with the best of wishes for the holidays.

blisstwins
11-03-2009, 09:39 PM
I do two sets of cards--ones for my Christian friends and a Happy Holidas cards I send to places like work, the pediatrician's office, and my non-Christian friends. I don't think it matters really, but I don't understand wishing someone non-Christian and Merry Christmas or a wish that explicitly mentions Christ.

Ceepa
11-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Send the cards that represent your family. Who could possibly be offended by well wishes from a friend or family member?

awoodm
11-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I think it sounds nice, I would not be offended in the least.

gatorsmom
11-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Thank you, everyone for the great advice. I did tweak it a little bit and plan on ordering them tonight!! Thanks again everyone!

MamaKath
11-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Send the cards that represent your family. Who could possibly be offended by well wishes from a friend or family member?
Well said! I like the wording. I may use something similar for mine this year.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-04-2009, 02:17 AM
OT-I send Festivus cards, as I want to send a Holiday card, but feel like a poseur since we aren't religious.

Snow mom
11-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I think it's fine. You are sending the cards to people who know you (...I assume...) They aren't going to be shocked to have a bit of religion in a card about a religious holiday knowing you are strongly religious. We get cards with full bible quotes in them. I find that to be a bit more preachy. We aren't religious, but I don't think there's anything wrong with people who use phrases like that in their cards or wish people who aren't religious a merry Christmas.

sunshinesofine
11-08-2009, 12:50 PM
The wording of the card sounds perfectly fine, I am of the impression that you can write whatever you want on the card you send out. You're sending them to your own friends after all :grouphug:
For the names I like to put first names as well, it seems more personal. If you would just rather put the last name though, I think "The Smith Family" is the best way.
I love shutterfly! They always have the best deals on holiday cards. I have been using them since my friend told me about them last year, and I'm hooked

kijip
11-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I agree with the "much" thing. I would take it out. The sentence is stronger without it.

I also second that "The Smith's" is incorrect. Drop the apostrophe. I think this way is nice:

The Smith Family
John, Mary, Riley, and Janie

I don't think there is anything wrong with a religious message on your holiday cards provided you are not inclined to be offended by a different religious message on a holiday card or by a non-religious message.

vonfirmath
11-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I think its fine. Businesses have to worry about being PC on their Christmas cards because they don't want to offend customers. I don't think families should have to. I have once sent out Christmas cards that had a negative response, but finally came down to the folk that responded badly was their problem, not mine. And I removed them from the list for future years so they would not have to see something they did not want to see.