PDA

View Full Version : How do you freeze food?

hillview
11-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I made a bunch of pasta sauce this evening. How do I best freeze it? Baggies with my zip lock air sucker thing? Pyrex? Other?
TIA!
/hillary

BabyMine
11-03-2009, 09:49 PM
I did baggies with the suction thing. I also did chili that way and they both turned out fine.

hillview
11-03-2009, 09:50 PM
I did baggies with the suction thing. I also did chili that way and they both turned out fine.
How did you defrost the baggies?
Thanks!
/hillary

tylersmama
11-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I do pasta sauce in ziploc bags, no suction. I just pour it into quart bags in 2 cup portions, squeeze as much air as possible out, and lay flat to freeze. I make a double batch of Giada de Laurentiis' simple tomato sauce a couple of times a year, and the lay flat to freeze trick is the absolute best way I've found to store them in perfect portions.

To defrost, I put them in the fridge, if I remember in time. If not, I just rip the baggie at the seams and gently warm it on the stove.

jent
11-03-2009, 10:22 PM
I do pasta sauce in ziploc bags, no suction. I just pour it into quart bags in 2 cup portions, squeeze as much air as possible out, and lay flat to freeze. I make a double batch of Giada de Laurentiis' simple tomato sauce a couple of times a year, and the lay flat to freeze trick is the absolute best way I've found to store them in perfect portions.

To defrost, I put them in the fridge, if I remember in time. If not, I just rip the baggie at the seams and gently warm it on the stove.

Exactly. Works great for me too (& I also do chicken broth this way). And thanks for reminding me that we're out of tomato sauce.

MamaKath
11-03-2009, 10:46 PM

:yeahthat:
Lol, my dc got jar sauce for the first time in a long time. Let's just say they were not pleased. ;) I need to make sauce and meatballs.

MontrealMum
11-03-2009, 10:53 PM
I do things like pasta sauce, soup, and stew in yogurt or cottage cheese containers (or similar). Things that are oddly shaped (like scalloped potatoes or lasagne) I do in ziplocs and push the air out because they are more prone to freezer burn if they don't completely occupy the container. For the things in plastic containers, I take it out earlier in the day and then place in a bowl of hot water (which I may replace several time), eventually heating it up on the stove. The ziploc ones I put on a plate and reheat in the microwave. If I remember in time I put in the fridge the night before :) I prefer to freeze as much as possible in plastic containers, not ziplocs, as they can generally be reused, and eventually recycled. I am planning on moving to freezing in Pyrex, but we have a lot to eat up first!

o_mom
11-03-2009, 10:54 PM
I have been freezing sauce in canning jars. I use pint jars and we have a jar sealer attachment on the foodsaver. With the widemouth jars and leaving space at the top we have not had any problems. If I need to thaw in a hurry, I put it in a sink of warm water for 30 min and that usually is enough that I can pour it out and melt the rest of the lump in a pan. You could also microwave in a pinch (with the lid removed).