PDA

View Full Version : Allergic reaction? Stomach bug? Flu?

Clarity
11-03-2009, 10:16 PM
13m.o. DD has a peanut allergy and because she's been ok with peas and soy, I gave her lima beans today. She had them this afternoon around 1:00p and then I gave her about four more at dinner - 6p. At 8:30p she woke vomiting. She's vomited about three seperate times since - until there's nothing left to vomit.
Now, about 1/2 way through the day I came down with a nasty sore throat, uncomfortable ears, I'm cold and tired. But not achy, nauseous or fevered. I thought maybe this was IT. We have h1n1. But neither of us have fevers. She is sleeping now.
So I'm wondering, could it be the lima beans? Has it been too long since she ate them for dinner to see a reaction? She had no reaction after lunch.
TIA

sariana
11-03-2009, 10:25 PM
I don't know, but lima beans make ME want to vomit. How could you do that to the poor child? Yuck!

From what I understand, food allergies can be immediate or delayed. So it's really difficult to say. But since an allergy can occur anywhere in the digestive tract, I would say no, it has not been too long since lunch.

I'm sorry for you and everyone else who has to deal with FA. I am thankful every day when I make DS's Sunbutter and fruit spread sandwich that I am doing it for his classmate and not for him. We have been so fortunate (because I do have allergies, though not to any foods, that I know of).

Clarity
11-03-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't know, but lima beans make ME want to vomit. How could you do that to the poor child? Yuck!

Oh, now see, I LIKE lima's! And dd's seemed to enjoy them too. Lots of good stuff in there, as long as you aren't allergic. :(

She's still sleeping quietly - I hope it was nothing!

sariana
11-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Actually, my DD likes them too. :) I often buy the frozen veggie medleys, and she likes the lima beans in there.

I hope your DD just had some passing bug and is all better now.

SummerBaby
11-04-2009, 01:26 AM
I think it could have been the lima beans. DD1 is also allergic to peanuts. When she was first diagnosed the allergist told me she could have a cross reaction to other legumes- remember peanuts are actually a legume. We haven't experienced this, mainly because DD is extremely picky and would never even be in the same room as a lima bean. :) It could be a bug, but I'd probably hold off on lima beans for now.

And FWIW, I like lima beans too....

Val
DD1 7/04
DD2 7/07

Nooknookmom
11-04-2009, 03:45 AM
Oh, now see, I LIKE lima's! And dd's seemed to enjoy them too. Lots of good stuff in there, as long as you aren't allergic. :( She's still sleeping quietly - I hope it was nothing! Just wanted 2 defend limas 2, but only baby limas not those big fat ones. YUCK!

ThreeofUs
11-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Could be a sensitivity, but vomiting 2.5 hours after a second helping is not generally a sign of this. Maybe keep limas from her now, but do a challenge with them in the summer?

And I LOVE lima beans. The baby limas, steamed into a little pocket of sweet pudding. MMMMMmmmm.