PDA

View Full Version : I Spy "Pillows"

ourbabygirl
11-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Does your DC have one? If so, did you buy it or make it? If you bought, do you recommend a particular Etsy seller? I've been looking there for one, and they have lots of cute fabric patterns and different styles/ shapes (fish, watermelon, piece of candy, etc.)...I'm wondering if it's way over my head to make my own. I'm really not a seamstress, but I do have a sewing machine (I bought one to make my own couch pillows). I'd like to get or make one of these for DD and a nephew or niece for Christmas.
Would you recommend them, or are they kind of a waste of time/ money? I thought it would be a nice car seat activity... Also, what age would you recommend them for? More interesting to boys or girls, or both? A size to order or buy? Does yours have rice inside, or those little styrofoam-looking 'beads'? How about the clear 'fabric' on the top (the 'window'): some sort of plastic/ vinyl clear material?

Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate your insights! :bowdown: Trying to get my holiday shopping off to a good & early start!

Thanks! :)

MontrealMum
11-03-2009, 10:48 PM
If you're looking to buy you could try this Etsy seller: http://www.etsy.com/shop/aebaby In addition to "I spy" pillows she does fabric crayon holders and fabric fruit (cotton, not felt). I can't remember if she was recommended here, or if I just did a search, but I am very happy with what I bought. The pillow comes with a laminated card explaining how it works, and what's in the pillow. It's very nicely done. It was my 1st Etsy purchase, and since then I've been hooked :)

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-03-2009, 11:36 PM
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=25033991&ref=sr_gallery_13&&ga_search_query=i+spy&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=3&order=price_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

this seller is fabulous. We have all our family members and pets in our I Spy bag!

MamaMolly
11-03-2009, 11:51 PM
I made them as party favors for DD's first birthday. I used colorful fleece for the pillow part and plastic table cloth like 'fabric' from JoAnne's. I think any fabric store would carry it. I also bought the polystyrene (I think) pellets there. They were in the doll section but I've also seen them in the pillow and foam section of Michael's.

I made them because I'm super cheap. What can I say? For the cost of having one made I did 4 and had plenty of materials left over for more. I used a Flikr tutorial, I didn't save the link but I'm sure it would come up if you google it.

The hardest part was finding things to go inside, but I had fun gathering it up. I finally decided that since it was going to be for boys and girls I wouldn't choose a theme and it got much easier. I used a packet of tiny cars from the $ store, plastic soldiers, dinosaurs, those erasers that look like flowers and bugs, huge glittery sequins, lots of colorful buttons, jingle bells, plastic do-dads like baby bottle cake decorations, anything really that I could find that was in small packets.

Really simple to make if you can sew a seam.
.cut 2 squares of fleece the same size, then cut a 'window' in one
.sew the plastic into the window. I did once around for holding and covered the seam with big rick-rack and sewed once around again just to make it really strong.
.sew the pillow together, leaving a small hole to put the toys and beads in. You don't have to worry about turning it inside out to sew, I just did it on the right side. Then I sewed rick-rack in a different color around the seam again to double and decorate it.
.fill with pellets and toys.
.hand sew to finish.

Have fun!

ourbabygirl
11-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Wow, thank you so much for the detailed responses! Such great ideas! I'm going to see if I can get a couple made in time for Christmas, and love the idea of personalizing them with photos and stuff.

You guys rock! :jammin:

jerigirl
11-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Here is this previous thread:
O mom gave some great instructions.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=309670