PDA

View Full Version : s/o of the Christmas/holiday card thread...

MamaKath
11-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Do you like getting a letter at the holidays? I keep thinking of doing one this year. I mean we have had a pretty rotten year- 2 surgeries and 1 more soon for dh, mil broke neck, car stolen and someone shot in it before it was found- a total loss of our vehicle and all our belongings within (packed for vacation), our vacation cancelled due to car, my tonsils out, etc. I mean it was over the top!!! I keep thinking it might be good for our family to reflect upon some of the positives in our lives and put together a family letter for our Christmas cards. Do you like getting Christmas letters?

Corie
11-03-2009, 11:00 PM
I have to be totally honest and say that I HATE Christmas letters!!

Every single Christmas letter I've ever received is a big huge brag
on their family. I'm usually rolling my eyes by the end of the letter!!

Just my really honest opinion!!!

♥ms.pacman♥
11-03-2009, 11:03 PM
i personally love getting Christmas cards, especially the ones that are custom-made with family pictures, etc. it's always nice to get a personal card/letter amidst all the junk mail/ads that tend to come in the holidays. i'm not always that great about sending them out though. this year i definitely will though.

billysmommy
11-03-2009, 11:10 PM
It depends.....most of them are just brag letters and I don't like those.

But we have one friend whose letters are hysterical. He is a great writer and each year he writes them from a different point of view. Plus he keeps them very short ~ about 2 paragraphs each. Last year it was written "by" their new kitten. I would totally miss their letter if he ever stopped.

MontrealMum
11-03-2009, 11:16 PM
I do know that some Christmas letters can be just awful - I am remembering some of the ones my parents used to get, and some that MIL likes to share for a laugh when we visit. But we actually only have one friend that does them, it's actually the DH that does it, and they're hilarious! So, I voted that I love them, and might do one. Considering all the other things I *might* do along with the actual to-do list, it's not happening this year :hysterical: But if you can keep it lighthearted and informative, not bragging or just plain odd (and I'm sure you can based on your posts here) I say, go right ahead.

Oh, I just remembered that my aunt does them too. While not funny, they're informative, not bragging, so I do like reading them as well considering they live so far away and I haven't seen them in 6 years.

jent
11-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Oops, I chose the wrong option-- I put down #1, but really I'm "other". I kind of like them, but I don't send one.

Really it depends on the writer. I only get a few, and those I do get are good, newsy letters-- I enjoy keeping up with old friends who I don't see on a regular basis. I love the pics of growing families.

One of my dad's college friends sends the classic, full-on brag letter. We find it hysterical too, but not for the reasons the writer intended :p.

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Shoot, I read too fast. I do not send a letter. Rarely do I like letters. Only if they are clever or original do I like them.. Ones that read like travelogues especially irk me. I know there is more to your life than the 2 weeks you were on vacation! I want to hear about that!

If I were creative I could see doing a letter but mine would be boring. Since I wouldn't want to read it I won't subject someone else to it.

Cards? Bring them on. I especially like real cards vs the picture postcards (they don't display as well on my shelves :)).

Beth

karenj2
11-03-2009, 11:38 PM
I like getting them, and I also send one. Both DH and I went to college out of state, and we don't often see our long-distance friends. The yearly letters is how we keep in touch.

I HATE the brag ones (my aunt sends one), but the majority of the others we receive are a mix of both the good and the bad. Last year we found out that a college friend of my DH's wife died of a rare disease, and we both cried when we found out. (Of course, it'd be better if we kept in better touch, but at least we found out!)

I've got my card already picked out (via VistaPrint). I used to write full-page letters, but I found myself sounding braggy (talking about trips) or pulling crap out of our lives to write about, since I had so much space. One year I did write a "Johnson Jingle" - newsletter style letter which was fun 'cause it had lots of pictures, and a sidebar story from my dogs - but this year I'm just writing two short paragraphs about the major stuff in our lives (getting pregnant and losing our dog) and leaving it at that. I just need DH's ok and I'll place the order (and be ahead of the game for once!)

♥ms.pacman♥
11-03-2009, 11:47 PM
ok i'm dumb, i guess when i answered the poll and made my previous post i was thinking about Christmas CARDS (e.g the Hallmark ones with a short note inside, or the ones custom-printed at CVS with pictures etc)..I too am not a fan of the Christmas "brag" letters (e.g. "our little Johnny is in the GT program this year!" and "here are our pics from our 2-week vacation in Hawaii where we stayed at the Four Seasons blah blah". Though fortunately I rarely get those, most of my family friends just send cards along with a handwritten personal note, which I like better than an impersonal typed-out letter bragging about various things. I figure if people want to write pages bragging about what's going on in their lives, that's what blogs are for, no need to clutter everyone's mailbox. LOL

sariana
11-03-2009, 11:55 PM
I love to know what has been happening in other people's lives. We have friends from various points in our lives, and we don't keep in constant contact with them, so it is nice to get newsletters. And I love getting pictures.

I like the idea of sending a letter, but I hate actually writing it. DH always has interesting things going on, and of course the kids have lots of activities. Me? Still a SAHM. I like it, but it's pretty boring as far as newsletters go.

But this year DH is deploying overseas. Most people won't know about that, so I think we should send one at least to share that information.

elektra
11-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Most of the letters I get are pretty funny without meaning to be. I am not a big fan of the letter.

Piglet
11-04-2009, 01:34 AM

:yeahthat: We got one from a family we know quite well and it was such a different take on their life than we saw, but not at all realistic... Johnny (who is a total bully) has taken to baking cakes for poor people, Timmy (who is usually found picking his nose in public) is an all-star baseball pitcher and Freddy (who
screams like a banshee) has just been accepted to Harvard at the tender age of 2!

They are good for a laugh though! Oh, and don't get me started on all the letters we received from people that got laid off but tried to put a "positive" spin on it. Why can't people be honest and sometimes admit that they are having a challenging year?

Globetrotter
11-04-2009, 01:44 AM
only if they are really well written and funny..

baymom
11-04-2009, 01:47 AM
I LOVE getting them. True, some are braggy and irritating, but for the most part, I feel like they catch us up with our friends' lives that we may not talk with on a regular basis throughout the year. Also, I LOVE receiving cards with photos on them and am actually disappointed to get one without a picture. :)

klwa
11-04-2009, 07:46 AM
I send them, but they're SHORT. A couple of sentences on each person. That's it. The final product is about 4" X 6", one side. I like to get other people's, but there are some family members that I eye roll as soon as I open them. Those are the people with 2-3 sheets, front & back, telling how wonderful life is.

Ceepa
11-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Completely dislike them.

alexsmommy
11-04-2009, 09:12 AM
I voted other. I don't mind them, and sometimes I like them. I have sent one out occasionally when we've had a crazy year (like when DS was born as a preemie) and I know I've been MIA for people because of the craziness. Sometimes I feel as though people send them just to send them though and I don't love those. I do know some people who send out hilarious ones though and I always enjoy those. I think in your case where so much has happened if I knew you IRL it'd be nice to know just what went on this past year since it was so over the top.
I do agree the "Frank was just promoted again - we just don't know what to do with all that extra money since we already bought our dream mansion last year!...Maybe we'll do Europe again this winter. Though I will say the economy has really hit some of our favorite five star resorts hard - one actually downgraded from their complimentarly Dom Perigion to a lesser bottle. We won't be going there again... Miffy's grades have slipped a bit, we've made it clear there is only so much money we are willing to donate to her favorite Ivy to ensure her admittance so she has to listen to her private tutor. If they come down again we'll be replacing her Mercedes with a domestic brand. That should encourage her..."
Yeah, those I toss in the garbage. I think I've weeded all of those type of friends out anyway. I'm thrilled when people I care about are doing well, but not so much when they brag needlessly.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I voted other. I don't mind them, and sometimes I like them. I have sent one out occasionally when we've had a crazy year (like when DS was born as a preemie) and I know I've been MIA for people because of the craziness. Sometimes I feel as though people send them just to send them though and I don't love those. I do know some people who send out hilarious ones though and I always enjoy those. I think in your case where so much has happened if I knew you IRL it'd be nice to know just what went on this past year since it was so over the top.
I do agree the "Frank was just promoted again - we just don't know what to do with all that extra money since we already bought our dream mansion last year!...Maybe we'll do Europe again this winter. Though I will say the economy has really hit some of our favorite five star resorts hard - one actually downgraded from their complimentarly Dom Perigion to a lesser bottle. We won't be going there again... Miffy's grades have slipped a bit, we've made it clear there is only so much money we are willing to donate to her favorite Ivy to ensure her admittance so she has to listen to her private tutor. If they come down again we'll be replacing her Mercedes with a domestic brand. That should encourage her..."
Yeah, those I toss in the garbage. I think I've weeded all of those type of friends out anyway. I'm thrilled when people I care about are doing well, but not so much when they brag needlessly.

:hysterical: lol... thx for posting, this made me laugh!! so funny cuz it's true, some letters actually do give off this kind of vibe it's comical

MamaMolly
11-04-2009, 10:28 AM
I only get one from my braggy Aunt. I LOVE it. I nearly pee myself every year reading how she can turn $h!t into shinola. Knowing the back story behind her letters makes them entertaining, indeed!

This year should be a doozy. She and Uncle headed for divorce court until they realized that they each couldn't afford to maintain their lifestyle separately. Perfect Cousin's wife had an affair and they are now divorced and he is dating a woman with 2 kids by 2 different men, one of the other dads has served time. Uncle had prostate cancer and surgery, still is in Depends.

To say I'm eagerly anticipating the spin on this is a tremendous understatement.

I'd love to have the skills to write a really funny letter, but I usually stick with cards, a short note and photo. LAZY!

vonfirmath
11-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I love getting letters of what is going on in other peop-le's lives.

I've never received a Christmas letter that felt braggy at all. And its neat to be able to see what is going on in our friends' lives.

MamaKath
11-04-2009, 10:45 PM
This year should be a doozy. She and Uncle headed for divorce court until they realized that they each couldn't afford to maintain their lifestyle separately. Perfect Cousin's wife had an affair and they are now divorced and he is dating a woman with 2 kids by 2 different men, one of the other dads has served time. Uncle had prostate cancer and surgery, still is in Depends.

To say I'm eagerly anticipating the spin on this is a tremendous understatement.

I'd love to have the skills to write a really funny letter, but I usually stick with cards, a short note and photo. LAZY!
Sounds like the wacky type of year we have had, lol. See this is my thought, if I can spin the lousy stuff and throw in some of the little blessings, maybe it would be okay. I was thinking about some of the ones I have done in the past. There were a couple that never made it into the actual mail, however we printed them for my mom's fridge, lol. I guess I can at least aspire to that and if it is a bust, at least Mom will love it. ;)

rlu
11-05-2009, 02:53 AM
First off, I don't receive the bragging type, and hopefully any I have sent in the past haven't been perceived as such.

I do love to receive them, they are a piece of history to be kept to show what the year has been like for everyone in a realistic way. I'm thinking specifically of the ones from my cousins that I see maybe once a year that are a sort of history book of America's West Coast through the eyes of families of various means as shown in their daily lives (soccer camp, family reunions at various locales, school). It's a pretty small sample, too small to extrapolate to the general public I guess, but a family history to be handed down much like the letters my Great-Aunt received from her distant relatives on the other side of the Berlin Wall all those years ago.

I tried to make ours factual (which wedding anniversary, significant birthdays, pet/child ages, work position) with at least one picture thrown in. I haven't done one in a while, most of the people I would send them to get a few "update" emails each year with a plethora of pictures, but I plan to do something this year.

I'm thinking of doing an "i spy" game on a regular (or legal) size color copy with pictures of us/events from the year. I would put the facts/explanation for each item on the back or separate sheet. Still working on the details and need to review the year for items to include.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-05-2009, 02:58 AM

I have someone in a MLM co. that sends one every year, mentioning their MLM stuff...:ROTFLMAO:

MontrealMum
11-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I do love to receive them, they are a piece of history to be kept to show what the year has been like for everyone in a realistic way. I'm thinking specifically of the ones from my cousins that I see maybe once a year that are a sort of history book of America's West Coast through the eyes of families of various means as shown in their daily lives (soccer camp, family reunions at various locales, school). It's a pretty small sample, too small to extrapolate to the general public I guess, but a family history to be handed down much like the letters my Great-Aunt received from her distant relatives on the other side of the Berlin Wall all those years ago.

:D As a historian who also has archival training, can I just say, I :heartbeat: you for this!

ha98ed14
11-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I like getting them. I read the ones from old friends I've been lousy about keeping up with with great enthusiasm. When I get them included in the card from DH's work colleagues that I do not know, I toss them without reading. (Oh wait, there is one woman who puts the most random things in her letter, so I might read that one.)

I am interested in hearing about people's children, how they have grown, maybe a new accomplishment. If someone moved or changed jobs. A sentence about where they went for vacation. I don't want to read a play-by-play novella about anyone's fabulous new house, Hawaiian vacation, or gall bladder surgery. If it's bragging or TMI, it's not appropriate, IMO. Most people write light, newsy letters with requests for prayer for the tough issues in their lives. I think those are super; I'm happy to read and say some prayers for them. Most are like this; but then you get the ones that are out there and Man, are they out there!

I have yet to send one since DD was born, but I do send a customized picture of DD with a Holiday greeting as our family Christmas card.

I have to say tho, with the year you have had, I don't think I would send a letter with all the details. It might be enough to say, "DC and I have had some health issues; please keep us in your prayers." and then talk about the good things. Chances are the people who know and love you and have supported you through this hard year already know the details of your situation and are praying for you.

ha98ed14
11-05-2009, 02:36 PM
I have someone in a MLM co. that sends one every year, mentioning their MLM stuff...:ROTFLMAO:

What's MLM???

AnnieW625
11-05-2009, 02:45 PM
OH SHOOT! I totally voted wrong. I love getting Christmas cards and I love sending them out. I do not do Christmas letters and while I don't hate getting them I don't love reading them over all the time. This year I might add a little note stating I am pregnant, but then most of the people we send cards to should already know that by now. I do always enclose a photo of DD or do a photo card. I haven't decided what I am going to do this year.

WatchingThemGrow
11-05-2009, 02:54 PM
What's MLM???
I wondered too. My guess is Multi-Level-Marketing

ha98ed14
11-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I wondered too. My guess is Multi-Level-Marketing

Ok, I'm a dolt. What's Multi-level-marketing? And why would you do that in a Christmas card?

Would it be something like, "Merry Christmas! I sell Arbonne and Pampered Chef! Merry Christmas!"

AnnieW625
11-05-2009, 03:38 PM
MLM is something like Mona Vie or other supplement companies (like Herbalife?), and Quixstar (previously Amway+). Mary Kay can also be considered an MLM, but at least it's reasonably priced and the company takes care of their people without (at least my area) being very flashy and annoying about. Most Mary Kay reps don't have their Pink Caddys back windows painted with large MK logos and their phone # printed all over it. I have seen MK stickers on windows, but they are usually small.

Melanie
11-05-2009, 04:06 PM
I love getting them and reading them. Either to catch up, or sometimes have a giggle. ;) It's like the predecessor to the family blog.

I think I've only sent one once (or maybe twice? I think once) the year we had our 2nd. I thought that was interesting enough to talk about. LOL.