PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Converse shoes in the fall?

Fairy
11-03-2009, 11:12 PM
So, today I go to pick up DS from pre-k, and I love his teachers. There is one that, again, I do love, but every now and then she'll give me unsolicited "advice." She is a wonderful person, don't get me wrong, and she's been DS's teacher full or part time in his room three of his four years at this school. Like, he maybe needs a new pair of pants (really, his pants are too short? Cuz I didn't notice that he was growing faster than I coudl keep him in pants), or she thinks DS needs a haircut (I happen to like it longer). Things like that. And then there's today.

She said DS's shoes were maybe not right for the weather. I wondered if I missed a rainfall or something. I was literally clueless what she meant. The other teacher said, she means that they're canvas, and while he looks stylin' (of course he does, he's my child), do I really want to dress him in canvas shoes? I said, oh. Well, uh ... I ... uh ... I think his shoes are ok, I mean, it was 50 degrees today. Yeah, they said, but maybe leather gym shoes are better? I said, well, he does have a pair of leather shoes (very cool Nikes on sale for $24 bucks!), and it's not like I'd expect him to wear his Converse shoes in the snow -- but what's wrong with wearing them to school when in the very cold snow days they're going to go out in boots?! They just looked at me very awkwardly. Veeeery awkwardly.

Guys, can I get a sanity check, here? It wasn't 10 below or 7 degrees or 22. It was between 39 - 50 degrees today. He had socks on. He did not complain, this was a pro-active comment to me by the teachers. I saw nothing wrong with the shoes.

Thoughts?

crl
11-03-2009, 11:26 PM
As long as it is above freezing, I wear sandals. And as long as there isn't actually snow/slush on the ground, I wear shoes without socks. So I might not be the best person to ask, but I don't see anything wrong with the canvas shoes in the weather you describe.

Catherine

MontrealMum
11-03-2009, 11:29 PM
DS wore kelly green Converse sneakers today. Like the Doctor ;) His teacher likes them because she likes bright colors. It was 10c here today. I don't see a problem with it - certainly not where you are, w/ your present weather. I will say, I do send wellies as well since it's also raining here a lot, but they're for the playground, not indoors.

AshleyAnn
11-03-2009, 11:31 PM
If its dry that day I think canvas is fine. He has on socks. I'd be peeved with the unsolicited advice. I have my in laws for that thanks.

vludmilla
11-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Um, you're being very generous about this. I think they are flat-out wrong. And a little too pushy.

g-mama
11-03-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't get it at all. My 8yo ds wears Converse every day. He has brownish slip-ons and black lace-ups. It would never occur to me that they were not for cold weather. Like you said, if it were snowing, he'd be wearing boots. Is there an unspoken rule that you and I do not know about that says leather shoes for cold weather??

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Ummm...my ds2 is going to be wearing Converse tomorrow and I think it's supposed to be low 50's/ high 40's. I have no concerns. Of course, today he wore no shoes (in the stroller the whole time) and I got so many comments. He had socks on but he kept taking off his shoes! Rather than risk losing one while walking around the city I opted to take them off and put them in my purse. I hardly think the poor thing was being parented badly or freezing!

IMO, his shoes were totally fine. :)

Beth

TwinFoxes
11-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Um, you're being very generous about this. I think they are flat-out wrong. And a little too pushy.
:yeahthat:

You should quote the pp, and tell the teacher you have your in-laws for unsolicited advice!

caleymama
11-03-2009, 11:42 PM

*I* wear my low-top Converse year round, and last year DD1 did too. Sure, if I stop to think about it maybe a leather shoe would be warmer, but I think Converse are warm enough. Like others said, if it's sloppy out or super cold (and I plan to be out for an extended time) we'd wear boots or some other more appropriate footwear. For general outdoor play in clear weather the Converse are fine.

ellies mom
11-04-2009, 12:00 AM
I sent my daughter to school today in Converse. Not only that, I sent her to school in capri leggings. She picked out the outfit and I OKed it. The way I see it is that we wait for the bus, maybe 5 minutes. Recess is something like 15 minutes (and they are running around) and then there is the 3 minute walk home after she gets off the bus. Not a lot of time to get frostbitten in well above freezing weather.

KpbS
11-04-2009, 12:24 AM
To me they sound very old fashioned. This almost seems like they were trying to tell you that you shouldn't be wearing white after Labor Day must be the same as no canvas shoes except in the summertime??? I don't get it.

I would just smile and nod and conveniently "forget" this unsolicited advice. And the other pieces of advice. :tongue5: He's your child and you get to decide his hair length, pant size, shoe choice, etc.--until he takes those things over himself!

SpaceGal
11-04-2009, 12:59 AM
My DS loves his Cons and honestly whenever I see them on sale I buy a pair to stock up....he usually wears them all year round too. Sadly, this year for school I didn't have a size 9...just an 8 (too small) and 10 (too big)...so this year no Cons, but that said I found a great set of New Balances from $10 for him. Anyways, back to the subject at hand.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Cons at anytime of the year....but knowing that, here's the thing I find. When it was winter and slush season, I sent DS to school in snow boots with regular shoes, only because I know putting a kid in Cons sometimes can take a bit longer than say regular velcro/laces sneakers. My DH feels the same way about the Cons too, so to take it easier on the teachers since they have to put x number of kids in proper footwear for where they go.

I do think the teacher gave too much advice...and the ONLY reasoning I can think of is maybe the Cons take just that much longer to put on than other kid shoes. So then rather than complain about that time issue maybe she adivsed in regards to the canvas issue. That's just my thought, I could be totally off...but just a feeling I get cuz I know when DS goes to friends houses and their moms help him with his Cons they always comment on how it is harder to put on...and it's also something the DS has trouble putting on by himself.

In any case, as PP said smile and nod and do as you please.

Globetrotter
11-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Wow, she is pushy, isn't she? That would drive me nuts!

klwa
11-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Teacher was wrong to complain, but, I'll admit that my first thought was, "Canvas shoes after Labor Day?" :) But I'm weird like that.

egoldber
11-04-2009, 08:12 AM

lmwbasye
11-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Um...I see no problem with wearing Converse at all. I do see a problem with their "advice".

alexsmommy
11-04-2009, 09:16 AM
I live in the same area as you and tons of DS1's friends wear Converse. Duh, we all know if it gets too cold or wet to change them to something else.
DS1 actually just asked for a pair and I told him I'd get him some in spring since the days of wearing them are numbered.
This is one of those "Thanks - I'll keep watching the weather report like I already do" and move on. So not for her to comment on unless your kid was sitting class with cold wet feet.

edurnemk
11-04-2009, 09:30 AM
I'd be peeved with the unsolicited advice. I have my in laws for that thanks.

:hysterical: :yeahthat:

And no, I see no problem with canvas shoes in dry cool weather. The teacher needs a reality check, not you.

JTsMom
11-04-2009, 09:31 AM
:yeahthat: I guess they wouldn't really care for me letting DS wear Crocs then, huh? :shrug: I'm guessing she has a future career as the little old lady who accosts mothers in 70 degree weather about lack of hats on babies.

gobadgers
11-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Those teachers are lucky that you like them already!

That 'advice' seems to cross the line a little. But hey, that's better than a teacher who either doesn't notice, or doesn't care right?

infomama
11-04-2009, 09:35 AM
She is nuts. Canvas shoes are fine in 50 degree weather.

Have you thought of (tactfully) laying down a line with her? I could see her pushing me over the edge and it getting uncomfortable.

boogiemomz
11-04-2009, 10:09 AM
next time in that situation, i would maybe ask something along the lines of, "oh, did his converse shoes (or his longish hair or his pants) cause a problem for you or the class?" (i can't imagine what they would come up with to say, besides, no, we just like to stick our nose in your business.) then you just say, "i think he's just fine, but thanks for your concern." you can say that kind of thing in a way that is perfectly polite and friendly but still set them straight and let them know that, no, as a matter of fact, they do NOT know better what's best for you child than you do, you're just fine. if you decide you need their help deciding on his haircut or outfit, you'll let them know. i am not a parent yet (just a couple more weeks!!!) but i can already tell i have a pet peeve of people thinking they know better how to parent a specific child than the parent of that specific child!!!

you are very kind and gracious to emphasize what good, nice people they are, but IMO this is over the line and you would be perfectly justified to put your foot down. now if they came to you with a specific, legitimate problem, you seem like a reasonable person and you would be open to discuss it with them and handle it appropriately. but to tell you they think he should be wearing different shoes (without a specific reason, like we are in gym on tuesdays and he could use something a little sturdier for dodgeball or whatever) or they don't like his hair, no, not appropriate, not legitimate.

jse107
11-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Um, I think Converse are fine for year-round wear. I just remind her that your daughter will be the first to let you know if she's uncomfortable.

proudsahmof3
11-04-2009, 10:31 AM
If its dry that day I think canvas is fine. He has on socks. I'd be peeved with the unsolicited advice. I have my in laws for that thanks.

:hysterical:

The kid is wearing shoes, right? I think that is as far as their concern should lie. What if it was a family that the child only had one pair of shoes because that is what the family could afford? Our preschool has a "no Crocs/sandals policy" because they are hard to run and play in, but I don't think there are many schools with a "no Converse policy". ;)

Shoes are shoes.

DrSally
11-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Weird. I still go out in flip flops, myself around 40 degrees. DS wears his stride rites that are a combo of nylon/leather trim. Maybe they just don't like Converse? Seems awfully picky to me. They should be focused on "bigger" issues.

jess_g
11-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I was told this same thing about my sons shoes when he started K. He has small feet and some problems walking so he was in thoese Ecco firsrt walker boots and the school did not like them. Finding shoes for him has always been a challenge but we finaly found some that work well for him.

I think the issue you are facing with the Converse shoes is that the shoes are not water proof so they will get wet at recess. I think the teacher is just trying to remind you that your son will need different shoes for the fall / winter weather. I don't think she is trying to be picky.

Jessica.

LarsMal
11-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Nothing at all!!

DS got a pair at the end of the summer than he loves. He wore them without socks for a while- because DH told him that was the "cool" way to wear them! I just started making him wear socks with them. I figured that was "winterizing" the shoes. :)

bubbaray
11-04-2009, 11:42 AM
While I don't think there is anything wrong with Converse in the weather you describe, I can tell you that I get clothing advice from daycare ALL THE TIME. ALL THE TIME. Did I say ALL THE TIME? Its somewhat less now that we've switched daycares, but still happens.

NO Crocs. NO flipflops. Must have rainpants and rainboots (and snowpants/snowboots when we have snow) at daycare for DD#2. DD#1 (different room) can NOT have extra clothing at daycare, so I'm unclear as to how to deal with snow boots. Suggestions on clothing (only elastic waist pants/bottoms for DD#2) all the time.

I find it irritating b/c my kids are stylin' too. They look less-so at daycare, now. Sigh.

Don't get me going on the food suggestions I get ALL THE @#$%^ TIME. AHHHHH.

IME, this is a normal experience for daycare. Its happened at 2 daycares for us now and I've heard other parents talk about it too IRL.

mommylamb
11-04-2009, 12:04 PM
My DS is wearing his canvas converse sneakers today... I never considered that this wasn't ok.

pinkmomagain
11-04-2009, 01:25 PM
They are wacko, you are not wacko.

Fairy
11-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Wow, guys, thank you for the feedback! I really thought, gosh, what is the big deal, what am I not getting here. So, here's the update. This morning I drop him off -- in his Converse -- and his two regular full time teachers are there, we're very friendly, and I said, "hey guys, is there an issue with his shoes?" They kidn of looked at me funny, and I said, no weather-related issues? The one said, "huh?" Now, the teacher from next door that did the "translating" for "Jane's" nebulous statement was also in the room, so I wanted to be discreet, but I told them that someone said the canvas sneakers were too cold for this weather and I should put him in leather only. The two teachers were like "WHAT?! Who told you that?" I told them it was "Jane" and they rolled their eyes, and theys aid, "she says alot of things." So, apparently, this is not surprising news to them. I clarified one more time, it's ok for you guys to help him with the canvas since they don't go on as smoothly as the leather, and they rolled their eyes and said, "please."

So, yeah.

This teacher really is a warm person and very loving toward DS. she's part time in his room afternoons only. But when she gets this passively pushiness to her with what might be a good idea for DS, I just say, "gosh, thanks," and just let it go and do my own thing. But this latest thing with the shoes got to me. Thanks for the sanity check, guys! She'll mention it today at pickup agan, and I'll jsut do what you all recommended, which is to politely but firmly tell her I am happy with his shoes, thankis anyway.