PDA

View Full Version : Crib Shopping is Driving me Crazy

FooMama
11-04-2009, 01:02 AM
So, I have been going crazy trying to find a crib that I like, is not expensive, and is sturdy. In general, I am looking for a "standard" crib that is the same height all the way around. I am just not a fan of the high-back convertible cribs. The look I'm going for is streamlined and neat, like the Babyletto Modo or the Baby Mod Park Lane or the Sorelle City Lights Commuter. I also saw a crib at JCP that fits the bill, but without seeing it in person, I am afraid it won't be sturdy. In reading the reviews for the cribs I listed, I am hesitant because of some complaints. Therefore, if anyone has any suggestions for me, or experiences they'd like to share, I would really appreciate it. Seriously...I am going crazy!!!

JCP Crib:
http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=62371&CatID=64168&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=17b4b81&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=62371%7c62947&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=4&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=62371|62947|64168

Sorelle:
http://www.cymaxstores.com/Common/Product/Product.aspx?ID=180070&Src=CI&SrcID=2414705&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=180070

Babyletto Modo:
http://www.cymaxstores.com/Common/Product/Product.aspx?ID=180070&Src=CI&SrcID=2414705&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=180070

army_mom
11-04-2009, 08:14 PM
I was the same way! We had decided on a more expensive crib but found out it was out of stock so we came home and I ordered one online (which I was a little hesitant to do). It looks the almost same as the Babyletto one-did they buy out another company? We love the crib. It is simple and sturdy. I do like having the drawer underneath for sheet and blanket storage. DD is only 11 months but it has held up fine for us. It does scratch easily but it will only be needed until she is in a big girl bed anyway.

Good luck in your shopping. After you decide on a crib, you'll wonder what the big fuss was. Then you'll move on to driving yourself crazy shopping for something else....like strollers!

FWIW, Amazon has the Babyletto's and they have good reviews.

(this is our crib)

http://www.amazon.com/Babyletto-Mercer-Convertible-Espresso-White/dp/B000Z3DWHK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1257379521&sr=8-6

pinkflamingo
11-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I KNOW how you feel!

I finally just bit the bullet and ordered the DaVinci Anastasia crib. I found a great sale, free shipping, at my door for less than $240. I have scoured cl for a used pali or berg and just decided that this headache was not worth it. It feels great to be done... but I now I am on to stroller headaches.

mrspeachykeen
11-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Have you looked at the Kendell crib on PBK or the Old World Cribs by Munire? The Olde World aren't streamline( as in modern) but the are neat looking. Both of these are running $399 for veyr high quality cribs.

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 11:49 AM
A lot of people here like Ikea cribs. You might want to check those out. I have a Baby's Dream one and a Munire one and love them both - both were highly rated by Baby Bargains. I assume you have checked out the ratings of the different brands in the Baby Bargains book, but if not I encourage you to do so. Good luck!

twowhat?
11-05-2009, 02:11 PM
A lot of people here like Ikea cribs. You might want to check those out. I have a Baby's Dream one and a Munire one and love them both - both were highly rated by Baby Bargains. I assume you have checked out the ratings of the different brands in the Baby Bargains book, but if not I encourage you to do so. Good luck!

:yeahthat: We LOVE our IKEA Gulliver cribs. But we were also in a space crunch, having to fit 2 in a 10 by 10 ft room along with changing table, chair for nursing, dresser. So they fit the bill for us. They are very sturdy cribs.

FooMama
11-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the feedback. :)

I have looked at the Ikea cribs, but I don't like the looks so much. As for the Munire or PBK, I was hoping to spend less than $400, even though they are good looking and high quality. I guess I'm looking for a champagne crib on a beer budget! I saw a Kendall knock off by Graco (I think) and most reviews were positive, but said directions were impossible. I will check out the Anastasia, too. I might just suck it up and spend a little extra just for the peace of mind--maybe the Bonavita Peyton Traditional.

By the way, does anyone out there know anything about the Logan crib sold at JCP???

Thanks again!!!

babychi
11-06-2009, 06:11 PM
I know you mentioned you are hoping to spend $400 or less, but Land of Nod has great looking and great quality cribs that are simple in style. If you set up a registry and add the crib to it, you'll get a 15% registry completion code (and furniture is eligible!) which would bring both of these cribs down to around $500. We have the Straight-Up crib and absolutely love it! They are solid wood and made in the US.

http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=161&f=3908
http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=161&f=4724

I also think the PBK Kendall crib is on sale right now for $399, but I believe PBK's delivery fees and surcharges add up very fast.

FooMama
11-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the input. The Straight Up looks like Bonavita's Peyton Classic, which, at this point, is the direction I'm headed. Now on to worry about the dresser!

lizzywednesday
11-08-2009, 06:57 PM
:yeahthat: We LOVE our IKEA Gulliver cribs. But we were also in a space crunch, having to fit 2 in a 10 by 10 ft room along with changing table, chair for nursing, dresser. So they fit the bill for us. They are very sturdy cribs.

The Gulliver cribs kind of look like cages to me online; maybe that impression would be weaker in person? (This is actually pretty funny, because the crib I slept in as a child was slatted all around like the Gulliver as well!)

twowhat?
11-08-2009, 10:28 PM
The Gulliver cribs kind of look like cages to me online; maybe that impression would be weaker in person? (This is actually pretty funny, because the crib I slept in as a child was slatted all around like the Gulliver as well!)

Well, all cribs look sort of like cages to me:) But it's very subjective. In person they looked much more compact than I imagined. Outfitted with a pastel-colored mesh bumper pad and nice sheets, I think they look great. Clean and modern. But that's just my opinion:)

eddiesmom
11-10-2009, 12:21 PM
The Kendall crib does not have a surcharge as someone stated in this thread. It is $399 + tax + 10% shipping = $463 (our tax rate is 5.5%).

I highly recommend the crib - Denise and Alan say something to the effect that the mattress supports are fiberboard. That got me worried so I went to a PBK store to look for myself. There is heavy duty fiberboard but underneath that are thick wooden slats going the whole length of the crib. I thought that was a major oversight in the review. I'm glad I went and looked for myself.