PDA

View Full Version : Playdate etiquette?

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
11-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi,
DS1 is 6 years old and just started getting into playdates with his schoolmates. He's been invited to one for this saturday. The mom specifically said for him to go to their house since we just had a new baby (something along the lines of giving me a break).

Do we just drop him off over there, or is a parent expected to stay with him the whole time?

What's the "standard protocol" for these types of things? The only other one he went to was a drop-off kind of thing, but I don't know if that's the norm.

Thanks,
Jennifer

ha98ed14
11-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Under other circumstances, I would not be sure, but given that she said something to the effect of "giving you a break," that is a give away that she does not expect you to stay. How is it a break for you to have to shlep your newborn to someone else's hose and care for him/ her there? That's not a break; that's a PITA. So she is either totally in-tune with your needs and happy to host DS while you stay home, OR she is a complete dolt. I'd lead off assuming she's all that and drop him off.

ETA: You could always call and double check that she is ok with hosting DS if you want to cover your bases.

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2009, 01:11 PM
It sounds like a drop off playdate to me. You could in and help get him squared away then double check that it's ok to take off. But, I think you are fine thinking it is a drop off one.

Beth