PDA

View Full Version : Kindergarten class trip to a PG movie?? - update #29

jench
11-04-2009, 12:50 PM
My DD5 is in kindergarten and there is a class trip planned with grades K-3 to see the new movie A Christmas Carol (the one with Jim Carrey). I saw the previews for it and it looks mildly scary (for a little kid) and it is actually rated PG for "scary sequences and images"!!! I don't think I want to send her on this trip - she's a "younger" 5 (August b-day) and can be a little sensitive. She's also never seen a movie on the big screen before and I don't want her 1st one to be unpleasant...

I was going to take her to The Princess & the Frog this December as her first movie theater trip. I had mentioned this to her already, and talked to her about the other movie maybe not being appropriate. She said she would rather see the princess movie anyway (of course, knowing my DD). So I don't think that not doing "what all the other kids are doing" will be an issue at this stage.

So... am I being too overprotective about this? Has anyone done this before - how do I let the teacher know... call her? write a letter with the unsigned permission slip? do I say the reason she wouldn't be going? I assume she will have to miss that day of school since no one will be there, is this kind of absence a big deal or not? (I know it's "just" K, but it's a small Catholic school, and the principal is kind of strict about absences besides sickness.)

Thanks for your thoughts on this!
Jen

DD 5
DS 2
DS 0.25

sariana
11-04-2009, 12:56 PM
We got a flyer for a special presentation of this movie that included a live pre-show performance of some sort. DH said I should take DS, who was 5 in July, to see it.

Then we saw a preview for the movie. NO WAY would I take our DS to see that movie. He thinks A Bug's Life is scary. Even the Disney Channel ran a warning that some scenes would be too scary for young children.

I would pass on that field trip. I'm surprised it's even allowed. Most schools can't show PG movies in the classroom, so why would a trip to one be okay?

brittone2
11-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't have any advice on the school end of things since we homeschool, but yeah, that movie would scare my 5.5 year old based on the previews. He's pretty sensitive to that kind of stuff and it would likely scare him quite a bit. He hasn't been to a big theater yet (like your DD) and I think the subject matter coupled with the loudness and big screen would make it even more scary. We were going to take DS to see Earth back in April, and then figured out there were a bunch of predator/prey types of situations and that has sometimes upset him a bit in the past. I had the feeling on a big screen, it would be too intense for him. We told him there would be scenes like that and let him know we could get up and leave, he could cover his eyes, etc. or just not go, and on his own he decided to do something else as he knew it would be too intense for him.

I don't think it is overprotective at all, personally. I'd actually be kind of surprised 100% of all the other parents in the school are okay with their children going. I don't know the best way to handle it with the teacher, but the school is pushing the limit by taking a bunch of K-aged kids to a PG movie as a school trip, honestly. I can't imagine they'd have a problem with a parent opting out of it for their kid. If it goes to the principal, I can't fathom that they could possibly hold it against you. I don't think the principal can possibly fault you, and if they are going to have a problem with anyone...it should be the teacher IMO.

elektra
11-04-2009, 01:13 PM
That looks really scary! We took DD to see Toy Story in the theater and she got freaked out for that preview. I don't have kids in school yet so take this FWIW, but I would call the school and tell them that you are concerned that it's not appropriate for K kids and that you don't want your DD going. Then ask them if there how they are accomodating the kids that aren't going. I would be shocked if they counted that as an absence.

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2009, 01:16 PM
I think the school made an inappropriate choice. I would bring it up with the teachers. Perhaps there are other parents who feel like you do and if you say something they may make alternative arrangements. You can even suggest another movie and see if they can send some students to one and some to the other.

I'd email the teacher or send a note in with your permission slip with your phone number asking for a phone call back. Even better would be face to face though. Are you able to pick her up after school? That can be a good time to have a little chat with the teacher.

btw, I think it looks scary for my 7yo.

Beth

ha98ed14
11-04-2009, 01:19 PM
So... am I being too overprotective about this? Has anyone done this before - how do I let the teacher know... call her? write a letter with the unsigned permission slip? do I say the reason she wouldn't be going? I assume she will have to miss that day of school since no one will be there, is this kind of absence a big deal or not? (I know it's "just" K, but it's a small Catholic school, and the principal is kind of strict about absences besides sickness.)

My thoughts are that you know your kid and should follow your gut; don't send her. On the school end, YOU ARE THE PARENT! If the dum@$$ teacher scheduled her whole class day to go to the movies, YOU have every right to keep your kid home on that day. The principal can stick it where the sun don't shine! Obviously the teacher failed to "test the waters" on how parents would feel about this. I seriously doubt you are the only one having these thoughts. And honestly, THAT is an issue for the Principal. I wouldn't say jack to the teacher. I would go to the Principal and tell him/ her that you are not comfortable with DD seeing this movie and you will be keeping her home that day. Let the Principal tell the teacher, AND DO NOT SEND HER TO SCHOOL that day because all they will do with her is put her in another classroom and have her do seat work all. day. long. Or she will have to sit in the office. This time, it is the Principal's fault because he/ she did not better oversee his/ her staff, so he/ she can suck up the absence. Seriously, don't punish your DD for the teacher and school's bad judgement.

zoestargrove
11-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Is going to a movie a normal field trip?? I've NEVER heard of that before and really think it is an odd choice for a school to make.

I definitely don't think a pg movie for a kindergarten class is appropriate.

pinkmomagain
11-04-2009, 01:22 PM
That's weird. First a trip to the movies at school (my kids have NEVER done this), and a PG movie no less. At our elementary school, only G movies are aloud. As a treat, my 10 yos class was allowed to watch a movie and kids could only bring in G-rated DVDs to chose from.

katydid1971
11-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Is going to a movie a normal field trip?? I've NEVER heard of that before and really think it is an odd choice for a school to make.

This seems so weird to me. When I was teaching in California all field trips had to meet the standards. I know you're not in CA but I can't see how this can be educational. I could see High Schoolers who are reading Dickens to compare to lit to movie.

All I just said doesn't answer your question. If it were me I would keep DD home that day and do some other fun activity with her instead.

jench
11-04-2009, 01:48 PM
So in response to everyone so far - I know! Isn't it weird! I have no clue whose idea this was. I'm usually go-with-the-flow/non-confrontational, but I am going to draw the line here!

We only just recently moved to the area (whoops, need to update my profile) so I don't really know any other parents to check in with, but I hope others will keep their kids home too. (So thanks for letting me "check in" online with you!)

rlu
11-04-2009, 01:48 PM

In 5th grade we went to see Oliver Twist and in 6th grade we went to see Annie (or vice versa, been a long long time since elementary school).

But a PG movie for K is a poor choice.

AnnieW625
11-04-2009, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't send DD to see a movie like The Christmas Carol, but FWIW I can't say I would say no to all PG movies, the Shrek series is rated PG and DD loves them.

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2009, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't send DD to see a movie like The Christmas Carol, but FWIW I can't say I would say no to all PG movies, the Shrek series is rated PG and DD loves them.

I agree, I don't have a problem with the rating, just the content.

Beth

jse107
11-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I would just write a brief note to let the teacher know that you'll provide your daughter with an alternative activity for the day. I'd explain that based upon what you've seen in the previews, you know that it's not something your DD would enjoy and you are not comfortable sending her. Lastly, I would note that you are expecting that this will be recorded as an excused absence.

That's it. If they have anymore questions, they can contact you.

egoldber
11-04-2009, 02:57 PM
That woudl not be allowed as a field trip here. They have to tie into the educational standards in some way.

I have not seen it, but based on what has been said here, I don't think it would have been appopriate for Sarah in K.

Our school does show movies sometimes (in school) around the holidays. They have shown Polar Express, The Snowman, etc.

bubbaray
11-04-2009, 02:59 PM
I think that is an inappropriate movie choice. I have seen the trailers and while *I* would like to see/buy it, its not a movie that my girls are going to see any time soon.

HIU8
11-04-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm still stuck on the fact that there is a class field trip to a movie. I have never heard or experienced that. My first issue would be that--and that alone would mean that my child would not be going to school that day--no matter what movie it was.

Fairy
11-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Honestly, I would keep her home. I consider a first movie to be a kind of sacred right of passage and more special for the parents than for the kids sometimes! I also think this movie is not appropriate for a 5yo without their parents. Alot of concepts to deal with, not just scariness, but death, generosity, ghosts, mean people, to say nothing of the very poor Cratchet family. Nope. Not me.

thomma
11-04-2009, 04:26 PM
I think you should voice your concerns and make a decision that is right for your child. You never know, your child's teacher could agree with you 100% and is just waiting for parents to complain.

kransden
11-04-2009, 08:10 PM
WTH??? I don't think I am taking my 7 year old to that movie. What about the tamer Area 51 http://kidstvmovies.about.com/od/planet51/a/planet51s.htm ?

MamaKath
11-04-2009, 08:30 PM
I would call the principal and talk directly to him/her. Personally I find it odd that they would do a field trip to A Christmas Carol for that age group. Usually field trips to movies are tied to reading the story in Language Arts and often having other activities that tie to it directly. Obviously this would not be the case for K, so I would be wondering what educational value there was to it. I work in a small private religious school. Our policy if a child does not go on a field trip is to offer the opportunity to sit in with another class (the years I teach K, I often arrange for children to spend the day in pre-k) or take the day as an unexcused absence.

A few years ago our school did a trip to see the Narnia movie. K did not go. 1st were given the option and the story was read in class prior. Parents who were concerned could choose to attend along with the classes or to have their child not go. There was a teacher available at the school for children who did not attend as well that had activities planned. Many kids went, a few did not. It all worked out, but I would not have planned that for a kindergarten trip!

Kestrel
11-04-2009, 09:53 PM
wow, do I think that this is a bad idea!

#1 - movie theatre??? A great place for molesters/abductors! And a whole class of k students??? How many bathroom trips? How many adults to watch how many kids - inthe DARK???

#2 - I can't believe the school approved a movie about christmas. Can we say division of church and state, anyone?

#3 - A PG movie?

We've a long way to go until school, but I would refuse, and loudly!

MamaKath
11-04-2009, 09:56 PM
#2 - I can't believe the school approved a movie about christmas. Can we say division of church and state, anyone?

I think she is talking about a Catholic school.

In our public schools they do show movies (in class) that have secular Christmas themes, just none with the story of the Nativity.

MamaMolly
11-04-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm still stuck on the fact that there is a class field trip to a movie. I have never heard or experienced that. My first issue would be that--and that alone would mean that my child would not be going to school that day--no matter what movie it was.

:yeahthat: Was going to post the same thing. What is the educational value in going to see a movie? A movie is, by definition, entertainment! When I taught school the principal would have laughed me out of the office for suggesting this. What a waste of educational money! Keep DD home or take her to a museum, science center, nature walk, story time at the library, etc.

kijip
11-05-2009, 03:16 AM
No, I would not be down with this.

1. A field trip should be more interesting and inspiring than a commercially available movie IMO.

2. My 6 year old is scared of the Lion King and freaks out during roughly 3/4 of all movies in a theatre setting and over 1/2 at home. I can't imagine he would do well at this one, especially without his parents. He got scared during Up. This objection is perhaps more of a factor for me since my kid is hyper sensitive to movies. He liked Wall E and I think it was because there was not a huge amount of talking. Wall E is one of only a couple of movies he has really liked and been 100% comfortable with in a movie theatre.

3. I am not wild about Jim Carrey movies and would expect some of the humor to be rather adult. But that is coming from someone who finds Shrek highly inappropriate for kids. To each their own.

infomama
11-05-2009, 03:48 AM
Honestly, I would keep her home. I consider a first movie to be a kind of sacred right of passage and more special for the parents than for the kids sometimes! I also think this movie is not appropriate for a 5yo without their parents. Alot of concepts to deal with, not just scariness, but death, generosity, ghosts, mean people, to say nothing of the very poor Cratchet family. Nope. Not me.
:yeahthat:. No way. No how would my Dd be going on that poor excuse for a field trip.

jench
11-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses. You really helped validate & articulate the uneasy feeling I had about this.

I am going to call the school today to express my concerns and tell them DD will not be attending. (Although I'm curious what they would do if I sent her to school, since all of K-3 is supposed to go, I bet she would have to sit in the principal's office or something ridiculous like that!) Thanks Jen/jse107 for the wording suggestion, I think I'm going to use it.

I went to a small Catholic grade school too, but we never had an outing like this!! For something "fun" around the holidays we would get field trips to go see a dress rehearsal of one of the high school plays/musicals.

I like the idea of taking DD on an alternative trip the day she'll be out! It doesn't always work with the other two, but we'll try it!

Jen

DD 5
DS 2
DS 0.25

jse107
11-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Let us know how it goes!

jench
11-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Well, the anticlimactic result of the phone call to the teacher was that she was very nonchalant about DD not being able to go, and said that she could rejoin the class back at school at 12:30. If I sent her in the morning she would have to sit with the 4th graders (not a good situation for my socially anxious DD!) But I'm meeting another K mom next week to start up a Daisy troop, so I can get her take on this too. Maybe I can start a grass roots resistance, heh, heh.

Thanks for being my sounding board!

schums
11-06-2009, 03:07 PM
#1 - movie theatre??? A great place for molesters/abductors! And a whole class of k students??? How many bathroom trips? How many adults to watch how many kids - inthe DARK???

Having gone on a couple of class field trips to the movies, I can tell you how things are done here:

With it being ALL K-3 students, the teachers/school have probably arranged a special screening for the kids. I'm guessing so, since they'll be back by 12:30pm, and that's usually when lots of theaters have their first showings during the week. That's what they did with us, and it was only K. So no strangers. And all volunteers here have to have a state police background check before you can volunteer, so hopefully no molesters in that crowd.

Also, we had a small chaperone to student ratio (like 1:3 or so) and took all the kids to the bathroom right before the movie started. That minimized the bathroom breaks. Also, the chaperones sat with the students (teachers sat in the back), so there was WAY better control than if we had just been watching from the aisles.

As for movies we watched in the theater, it was pure entertainment -- no educational value at all. The last time we went, the movie was Happy Feet (I think) and maybe we saw a Shrek before that?

kcandz
11-07-2009, 03:07 AM
I heard this movie is not appropriate for kids under 10.

ilfaith
11-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Here is one review of the movie which pretty much lists the scary on-screen moments...
http://www.kids-in-mind.com/c/christmascarol.htm

This review suggests it's best for kids 8 and up...
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/disneys-christmas-carol

And another...
http://www.parentpreviews.com/movie-reviews/disneys-a-christmas-carol/

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2009, 10:34 AM
I'd forward those reviews to the teacher, with pertinent passages highlighted so she can see for herself that the movie may not at all be appropriate for k.

I really think you should push this up higher. Find out who is organizing this and ask for them to arrange a 2nd movie that the kids can attend in the same theater. I feel pretty confident that this can be accomplished. I think it would stink for your dd not to get to go on the field trip (movies are fun!) just because they picked a crappy movie for her. Really, I would keep pushing on this. Do you have a class room parent? Perhaps you can contact them as well and share your reservations about the movie not being appropriate for young kids (show the above links again) and see if anyone else is interested in trying to arrange an alternative movie. The room parent can send out an email to the whole class then. Some people might not know the rating on the movie (I didn't) and they might find this information helpful.

That's what I'd do. I don't think I'd let it drop.

Beth

s7714
11-07-2009, 01:04 PM
My kids watch a fair amount of stuff that most here would probably consider age inappropriate, but I have no plans to take my 4 and 6 year old to see that movie in theaters! I am a HUGE fan of the Christmas Carol story and all subsequent movies, but I'm very, very selective when it comes to my DDs watching them.

I would not hesitate at all to keep my child at home that day, and I'd definitely voice my distaste with the idea of the class seeing it to begin with.

graciebellesmomma
11-07-2009, 03:31 PM
My friend just took her 7 and 10 yr old daughters to see it.
Her 7 yr old was freaked out and scared and her 10 yr old
thought that it was good but spooky.

I will not be taking my 7 yr old to see it, until her Dad and I
see it first.

nfowife
11-08-2009, 05:55 AM
You can read the user reviews on yahoo movies here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810049009/user

A ton of them say it's not appropriate for younger kids (under 10). Too scary!