PDA

View Full Version : Do you leave a drink of water in DC's room at night?

elektra
11-04-2009, 02:25 PM
And do they actually drink the water and go back to sleep?
We are navigating the toddler bed thing still, and after reading about hours of crying and/or vomiting, I think we are doing ok. Not great but ok.
I just bought one of those clocks that turn color to indicate that it's late enough in the morning for the DC to get up. I don't have super high hopes for it, but DD has actually gone back to bed (with a little help from DH) when she has come in too early. She even went back on her own the other day after we told her we wouldn't turn the TV on! While snuggling in the middle of our bed around 5:30am she asked, "let's see who's on (the TV)" and we said, "it's still nighttime there is nothing on." So then she goes, "well I'm going back to bed then." And we were like, "OK!"

So anyway, she is regularly calling out around midnight every night and DH goes in and gives her a drink of water, and she stays in her bed. I'm just wondering if at 2.5, any kids can just drink from a sippy themselves and settle back down to sleep.
I'm probably asking for too much, but one can hope.

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2009, 02:29 PM
My 7yo and my almost 2yo have water accessible to them at bedtime. Both often drink it and go back to sleep, no intervention required from us.

Beth

Moneypenny
11-04-2009, 02:41 PM
DD has had a drink of water by her bed since she was 2-ish (whenever she started using "I'm thirsty" as one of her delay tactics). For a couple of nights she would call us into her room to tell us she drank some water (um, thanks for sharing, I guess?) so we told her to just tell us about it in the morning. We've had no issues with it since then.

crl
11-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Yes, I give DS a klean Kanteen with sippy top every night at bedtime. Sometimes he drinks it. Mostly he doesn't. But it keeps him from using it as an excuse to get us to come back in again at bedtime. He's 6 now, but I've been doing this for years.

Catherine

mommyp
11-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Yes, DD (22 mo.) has a sippy in the corner of her crib. She will drink from it and go back to sleep if she wants it. Some mornings it's untouched, other days it's half gone. So she definitely uses it when she needs it.

Melaine
11-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Yes, I give DS a klean Kanteen with sippy top every night at bedtime. Sometimes he drinks it. Mostly he doesn't. But it keeps him from using it as an excuse to get us to come back in again at bedtime. He's 6 now, but I've been doing this for years.

Catherine

:yeahthat:

brittone2
11-04-2009, 04:59 PM
DS is 5 and always has water on his nightstand. He has no problem managing it on his own. He has always had good bladder control at night and so that wasn't an issue or concern either.

Corie
11-04-2009, 05:02 PM
My kids have always had a sippy cup on their nightstand. Now, they
have their Camelbak on their nightstand. And they
both actually drink from it and go back to sleep.

elliput
11-04-2009, 05:04 PM
DD keeps a sippy cup (Avent Sport cup, actually) by her bed.

Ceepa
11-04-2009, 05:04 PM
When DC are sick we leave a cup of water with them otherwise we don't. They usually fill up between nightly brushing teeth and bathtime. :D

bubbaray
11-04-2009, 05:06 PM
DD#2 does -- and she still stays dry all night and recently transitioned to underwear at night....

DD#1 does not and she STILL wears a @#$^ pullup at night (which she can soak through, like she did this morning) at age 5.5 It drives me NUTS. Other than limiting her bedside access to water, I don't know what to do.

connor_mommy
11-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Both my boys have gone to bed with water in a sippy after they stopped nursing and now with Contigo cups. My 5.5 year old had stayed dried since he was potty trained at 3.5 and will wake up to use the potty if he needs to. My 3.5 year old has been potty trained for for over 10 months, but is still not dry in the morning. They usually drink water before falling asleep. There have been a few times that they woke up in the middle of the night for water.

Kitten007
11-04-2009, 05:51 PM
DS1 has a sippy cup every night. The only thing is....he sleeps with it next to him! :ROTFLMAO: He refuses to get in bed without it....oh well!

arivecchi
11-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I just want to say thanks for the idea. This if one of DS1's favorite excuses to avoid going to bed on time......

elephantmeg
11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
When DC are sick we leave a cup of water with them otherwise we don't. They usually fill up between nightly brushing teeth and bathtime. :D

ditto! but DS usually soaks through then. ugh

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-04-2009, 06:38 PM
DD @ 2 1/2 has a Thermos Funtainer at nap and bedtime. I like water on the nightstand when I sleep, so it is a personal preference of mine, that carried over to her. If she coughs or has a dry throat she always has water. Living at 7,000 feet in on of the driest states in the US, water is nice to have!

Corie
11-04-2009, 07:38 PM
DD#1 does not and she STILL wears a @#$^ pullup at night (which she can soak through, like she did this morning) at age 5.5 It drives me NUTS. Other than limiting her bedside access to water, I don't know what to do.

My son is 5 years old and he soaks a GoodNights pull-up every single night.
Yet, I still give him a Camelbak full of water for bedtime. I would feel so
bad limiting his water intake when he is thirsty.

My daughter was the same way. She wore a pull-up through most of kindergarten.
Eventually, she started to stay dry.

I have faith that my son won't go to college in a pull-up. :)

bubbaray
11-04-2009, 08:54 PM
My son is 5 years old and he soaks a GoodNights pull-up every single night.
Yet, I still give him a Camelbak full of water for bedtime. I would feel so
bad limiting his water intake when he is thirsty.

My daughter was the same way. She wore a pull-up through most of kindergarten.
Eventually, she started to stay dry.

I have faith that my son won't go to college in a pull-up. :)

She'll be on the next flight to you.... LOL.

It IS kinda sad -- we are having to downplay DD#2's overnight dryness b/c DD#1 is rather upset that DD#2 is out of pullups. Sigh.

erosenst
11-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Yep - since she was in her crib. Never interfered with staying dry at night - she was dry at night about two days after finally peeing in the potty (at 2.75) and has never had an accident.

At 5.75, she sometimes doesn't even wake all the way up to get a drink - I happened to do my "before my bedtime" check on her last night to see her replacing the cup on her nightstand with 1/2 of one eye open. She went right back to sleep.

daniele_ut
11-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Yes. Both kids have a Nalgene sippy that they take to bed with them.

rlu
11-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Yes and yes. We use a foogo and change out the water each night per DS's request. He usually takes a long draw off it as part of his settling into bed routine.

DrSally
11-04-2009, 09:15 PM
I think I put a sippy in DS's crib around 3 yo (that's when he started asking for it). I told him to keep it upright, and he did a good job at that. He just liked having it there. I only filled it less than 1/2 full so he wouldn't have an accident.

kbud
11-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Both of my dd have a sippy cup of water in their beds. I started it at about 8 months of age. DD#1 will be 6 in Jan and DD#2 is 25 months. It is probably part of the reason DD#1 is still soaked every morning. She's been potty trained for 2 years but can't stay dry at night. I too don't want to limit her water intake. I assume some day she'll have the bladder control. The sippy of water works great for us though.

o_mom
11-04-2009, 09:17 PM
We stopped them about 6 months ago for DS1 and DS2. I was tired of leaking through the pullups. Without it, they still wet, but it isn't enough to leak through. Even with only giving them a 6 oz cup it was putting it over the edge. They can get up and get a drink from the bathroom if they are really thirsty. DS3 still has his because he is in the crib and not yet of an age where he can be reasoned with about a change in routine.