PDA

View Full Version : What have you worn out?

WatchingThemGrow
11-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Besides your body... What things have you worn into the ground so that they were not useful to anyone else?

I'm just noticing our once-already-repaired sleepsacks are worthy of the trash after DS2 outgrows each size - the cotton ones especially. There may be a few fleece ones that can go through one more kid (not another one HERE). My Easy Expressions Hands Free Pumping Bustier (http://www.easyexpressionproducts.com/) is tired and has a hole in it. My PISA backpack probably has lived its life, by the time I stop this crazy nursing/supplementing/pumping thing in a couple months. Our Triumph started making a rubbing noise at Disney last week (*note - replace it??? :) ) Obviously the Take N Toss, pacifiers, bottle nipples each kid gets new. Only a few used clothing items here and there - a old style HA zipper got a big rip in the stitching last week. We're still using that one, though.

What have you trashed?

elektra
11-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Our Hanna swedish mocs. Just bought a new bigger pair, but those got a lot of use.
Some of our foogo/Funtainer straw cups are pretty thrashed and cracked.
Our Scenera bit the dust, but that was more DH's fault for dismantling the whole thing. I was actually able to get all of the vomit out of it and it would have lasted longer.
This crappy umbrella especially for strollers that I got a year or so ago broke right away. I wish I could remember the online place I bought it to warn people.

ETA: My PISA is still hanging in there, 6 months into kid #2. It will be a happy day when I can finally take a sledgehammer to it though.

maestramommy
11-04-2009, 02:38 PM
My barely 2nd hand Purely Yours has had one belt replacement, and after this kid will be ready for the trash. I'm surprised it's held up this well honestly.

We had to trash two Playtex straw sippy cups because the kids kept chewing the straws and they just got really gross.

I have two pairs of Target Brand tennis shoes in size 4 and 5 that may not last through Arwyn. The straps are just so cheaply made! Too bad, since the rest of the shoe is in awesome shape.

Most of our stuff has held up really well though, esp. clothing. I'm not sure how I'm going to purge all of it when we're done with it. Selling is such a hassle.

WatchingThemGrow
11-04-2009, 02:39 PM
ETA: My PISA is still hanging in there, 6 months into kid #2. It will be a happy day when I can finally take a sledgehammer to it though.

:ROTFLMAO: Yes, I need to plan a ceremony for mine. First we need to get a video of the DC doing their "pump dance" where they each take a tube, then turn it on full-blast and thrash about. It is charming.

I forgot:
Canon SD400, Canon SD1100, Dell E1505 need to be added to my list.

arivecchi
11-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Sleepsacks
Baby Bjorn Active needs to go in the trash
Mac Triumph probably needs a new seat cover soon
Pacis
Avent bottle warmer
Carters white onesies - again - need to go in the trash

Already gave my pump away :)

MontrealMum
11-04-2009, 02:49 PM
-somehow DS managed to claw a hole in a 2.5 tog Grobag - but I can fix it
-he also has ripped the lining out of his bear costume (this year's Halloween) w/o actually wearing it!
-some bottle nipples
-there are a few outfits that are too poo-stained to pass down (so not worn out, per se, but unusable)
-parts have been replaced on my PISA so it's still good to go
-DS has bitten holes in 2 tablecloths, and DH managed to ruin 2 more in the wash
-several board books are beyond repair; only going to replace the award-winning ones, not the general "Diggers and dumpers" type

Would love to see the "pump dance" :)

ladysoapmaker
11-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I wore out a Kitchen Aid. DS#2 is allergic to soy so I make all our breads and cakes and such. The Kitchen Aid only runs on high now. It's great for whipped cream or egg whites. My mom gave me her Kitchen Aid. It's still working beautifully at nearly 30 years old. Mine was maybe 5 years when it died.

Jen

Piglet
11-04-2009, 03:19 PM
We had this adorable BabyGap footed sleeper that I bought when pregnant with DS1 - it was yellow, gender neutral and CUTE! It was one of the first things I bought for the baby. It went through a dozen babies I think - I used it for DS1, gave it to friend after friend and then got it back for DS2. At some point or other, DS2's toes popped right through the threadbare foot of the sleeper. I even took a picture, LOL. Out HA Zippers are pretty worn too - my mom had to make some repairs to the zipper (DS2 was hard on his clothes, I think).

AnnieW625
11-04-2009, 03:32 PM
DD's black Eddie Bauer Messenger bag probably won't last another a child because it got daily use for over 2/1/2 years (till we got DD her current back pack) for parks, daycare, plane travel, etc..

Carters sleeper fleece jammies; these just don't wash well (they get all hard/crusty on the outside) and well DD wears them out back in the winter AMs (it's only mid 50s in the AM for the most part) on the weekends and has taken the bottoms out of the feet. TCP ones are a little bit better, but still not immune to

Some sleep n plays didn't survive the first year, but honestly I was quite happy with what I was able to keep clean.

The Avent bottles we used for DD will most likely be going in the trash because they are the non BPA free ones, but really if there wasn't a huge BPA scare I could probably re use some of them.

My black fleece Izod zip up, I think it accidently went through the dryer and the arms shrunk. Thankfully I had gotten it on sale at the outlet for $20, but it was oh so comfy!

maylips
11-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Not sure this applies, but I have worn out my jcrew long flannel pj pants (DH bought them in 1996 and they are on their last leg *sigh*) and I wore out the inside of my ugg slippers enough to need a new pair.

As far as kiddo stuff goes, I would say the Munchkin straw cup. But it was a great purchase - DD never really used sippy cups much and I attribute that to learning to use a straw cup first, thus never learning to tip back cups full tilt. She's great with real cups now.

wendibird22
11-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Maternity clothes. There are some things from last pregnancy that I went to wear and just looked too worn, stretched out, mystery stained to make do for a 2nd time. And with how much I'm wearing stuff this time around I'm not sure how much of it will even be worthy of being donated. I might get some pleasure out of taking all the maternity clothes to our compost pile and burning them.

the2bobs
11-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Baby Bjorn Active is so faded you can't even tell it's black & red---DS1 lived in it for the 1st yr of life
All of his Munchkin sports bottles--he ate the spouts
Born Free sippy cups--ate those spouts, too
Waring blender--we make DS1 smoothies twice/day b/c he refuses to drink plain milk
most of DS1's clothes, everything is stained
Tivo remotes--2 of them, DS1 ate the buttons off
DS1's crib--surprise, surprise, he ate it (Mother Hubbard convertible that isn't worthy of converting any longer)
pretty much anything DS1 has gotten his hands on and he's only 2!

Corie
11-04-2009, 05:19 PM
My maternity underwear from Japanese Weekend. Some pairs are
almost 8 years old!! :)

catsnkid
11-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Jeez, the only things I actually throw of my own are undies and socks. PJ's I make into rags. I was just thinking that DS's stuff is holding up pretty well, except for some used onesies that were used for at least two prior kids.. after I'm through with kids the really junkie ones may end up in the rag pile. Everything else will be consigned or given away or given to charity. I'm sure I will buy new nipples for my next baby but the bottles will be fine.

pinkmomagain
11-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Well, 2 things that my older girls have worn out are their Uggs and their North Face fleeces. Both items have gotten 2 yrs of (seasonal) daily use and were well worth the $$$.

MamaMolly
11-04-2009, 09:20 PM
DD's very first Hanna zipper. I'd read about them here and balked at the cost. Then I bought this green and yellow one from the Salvation Army for 99 cents. It was big when we put it on her the first time, and she wore it at least twice a week for months and months and months. One wrist cuff sprouted a hole and the seam in the bum had to be sewn up twice, then finally repaired with an iron on lady bug patch. I couldn't believe the durability. It was our first (of many!) Hanna's. I was won over by quality and value!

I get new bras every Christmas. DH spends a fortune on them and I treat them really well but if he gets lace (like this past year) I'm sprouting holes by Halloween.

I can't think of much else. I tend to give away DDs stuff before it gets too grotty, probably because I love thrift store shopping and resent seeing dirty clothes and broken toys there. If it is just too icky to be of use I toss it, but very little ends up in the trash.